5.0 out of 5 stars One of The Best Albums I've Heard in The Past Few Years
Published on December 1, 2010 by J. Brogden

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasently Suprised
Published on November 30, 2010 by Jivon Lee Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars One of The Best Albums I've Heard in The Past Few Years, December 1, 2010
This review is from: All I Want Is You (Audio CD)
In an era where the music industry stresses dance ability over singing ability and caters to entertainers over those with real vocal talent, it's refreshing to find an artist like Miguel in the midst of all the vapid and forgettable music. I first heard Miguel last year when I stumbled across his recording of the Ne-Yo penned song "Let's Just Be". I was very impressed by his vocals and soulful tone, one upping Ne-Yo on his own song. I again heard from Miguel when he released the single "All I Want is You" produced by notable Nas and Amy Whinehouse producer Salaam Remi. The song features a hip-hop back beat with a slinking organ driven bassline. J. Cole, the only guest appearance on the album, delivers a very respectable verse and doesn't detract from the track as guest rappers occasionally do. A decent track to introduce the uninitiated to Miguel. The opening album track "Sure Thing" is an impressive, unassuming ode to his lover. With sparse instrumentation coupled with catchy metaphor driven writing, it provides for a very memorable song.

The overall album has a dirty, smokey but sexy sound to it with plenty of vinyl noise to add to the atmosphere. The album occasionally switches up the laid back vibe with upbeat dance tracks like "Pay Me" and "To the Moon". The former a high tempo club track destined to move folks to do the dance floor, with an infectious dance groove and hook that is certain to get stuck in your head and the latter featuring a Timbaland esque drum beat begining with sparse synth instrumentation that gives way to sexy chords and lush vocals. Other favorites of mine are "Quickie", a reggea themed soul song with a chorus that makes no qualms about his intentions and "Girl With A tatoo", a short but sweet song which is sung accapella with no backing instruments besides Miguels voice. "Be My Vixen" is one of the highest points of the album. This song has Miguel wooing the ladies over big reverbed drums, an elegant guitar and a jazzy mute trumpet by envoking images of Hollywood to tastefully describe his love making sessions.

The album is fairly short but very sweet. Clocking in at 42:53 you'll likely find yourself replaying the album after the first play through. If I were to compare this album to a meal I would certainly say it was a full course meal with no filler or fat to trim. The album is not overwrought with guest appearances, J. Cole's being the one and only and the album maintains a consistent, cohesive sound and quality throughout. If you've heard Miguels music before and know what to expect stylistically, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase (yes...Purchase) this album AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasently Suprised, November 30, 2010
Jivon Lee Jackson (Fort Washington, Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All I Want Is You (Audio CD)
I must admit that I had no expectations of Miguel's debut CD, "All I Want Is You". This hasn't been the greatest year for mainstream R&B, and while I found the heavily promoted single pleasant, I wasn't counting down the minutes until this project dropped. Well I am happy to say that this has been one of the more enjoyable albums of the year. No new ground is broken, but for the most part this CD sounds adult, which is a rarity in contemporary soul music. All of the songs have their own merit, and Miguel's voice seems well suited to each track. This album is worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the YEAR!, November 30, 2010
This review is from: All I Want Is You (Audio CD)
This album is the MOST original music I have heard all year.. You cannot classify this as just R&B,Rock, or alternative.. Its a mash up of everything!! He writes is own stuff and has wonderful vocals which again is RARE these days.. Miguel has written for Usher, Mary J Blige, Musiq SoulChild, Jaheim and a list of others.. I have watched his live performances via youtube and what more can I say = IM IMPRESSED and FOREVER A FAN! YOU GO MIGUEL! Bring a Grammy home!

By the way: You can play this CD from beginning to end..* SURE THING* is 1st favorite, All I want is you #2,.. Girls Like you and Quickie are cleverly written with Awesome vocals!!! Vixen and Hero are the BOMB well.. You cannot deny the talent or this CD all the props in the world!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Debut Album, November 30, 2010
This review is from: All I Want Is You (Audio CD)
After debuting with the smash single All I Want Is You, we are now presented with the debut album of singer Miguel. Unlike the recent debut album of Bruno Mars, Miguel uses his voiceto create a nice debut which shows he should have a nice carrer.
--Track By Track--

1."Sure Thing" produced by Happy Perez
The album opens up with a smooth track which is very melodic song which could easily be part of an unplugged show. **** out of ****

2."All I Want Is You" (featuring J. Cole) produced by Salaam Remi
The lead single if you haven't heard this you've been living under a rock. **** out of ****

3."Girl With the Tattoo" (Enter.Lewd)
A nice little interlude which I thought would lead into a nice slow jam. The interlude seems out of place in the track sequence which is my only complaint. **** out of ****

4."Pay Me" produced by Fisticuffs
I originally heard this song when it was a demo for Usher. I didn't care for the song then as I'm not a big fan of the Euro pop sound. ** out of ****

5."Quickie" produced by Fisticuffs
I was feeling this song with its reggae overtones. Whoever producer Fisticuffs is, he shows his versality with this song. **** out of ****.

6."Girls Like" produced by Fisticuffs
This was an ok song; I think a guest appearance from a rapper like J. Cole or Big Sean would have helped it out a ton. ** ˝ out of ****

7."Overload" (Enter.Lewd)
This was just a pointless interlude and unlike the previous interlude, I think it's just filler. * ˝ out of ****
8."Hard Way" produced by Salaam Remi
Another great production by Salaam Remi with a great drum backing. *** out of ***.

9."Teach Me" produced by State Of Emergency
One of the few slow jams on the albums, which Miguel sings perfectly. *** out of ****.

10."Hero" produced by Dre & Vidal
I expected more from the duo of Dre & Vidal given their work with Bobby Valentino, this song was a little bit to poppish for my tastes. ** out of ****.

11."Vixen" produced by Fisticuffs
Another great production by Fisticuffs and the other true slow jam on the album. **** out of ****

12."To the Moon" produced by Dre & Vidal
Another weak production by Dre & Vidal and another older Usher demo which I didn't really care for when Usher sang it. However, it works for Miguel. *** out of *****

13."My Piece" produced by Happy Perez
The album closes out with another song produced by Happy Perez and another winner. *** out of ****.

While I would have preferred some more slow cuts, all in all this is a fine album. Furthermore given that Miguel seems to be buddies with Usher as he sings two songs originally written for Usher and he's on his OMG tour, it would have been nice to hear Miguel take on two of Usher's best unreleased slow cuts Slippin & I Love You 2.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall, a good CD...., December 27, 2010
Milton Green (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All I Want Is You (Audio CD)
Overall, this is a good CD. However, I must admit I was expecting a little bit more from Mr. Miguel's first release. He sounds like the second coming of Slim from 112, but with better range. Unfortunately, the quality of beats drop off a little in the middle. Tracks "Vixen" and "My Piece' did it for me!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Miguel, January 15, 2013
TKT (New York) - See all my reviews
I love this album!!
His voice is beautiful, especially when he hits high notes. The lyrics are interesting and very well thought out- you can tell that he spent a lot of time crafting these songs. The music sounds like some of it was done using real instruments, which is a departure from much of the current hip hop and R&B we're hearing from other artists.
Overall, a good album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut album from an underrated artist, August 28, 2012
This review is from: All I Want Is You (Audio CD)
With the Weeknd and Frank Ocean mostly dominating R&B discourse as newcomers to the genre, I feel like Miguel is a little overlooked. But if you like R&B then you will like this album. There's chill songs and upbeat songs, the kind of stuff you will nod your head to. Miguel has a great voice, this is just a very good album that I find myself still playing a year later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Album, August 18, 2012
aries_BLU (Bay Area, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All I Want Is You (Audio CD)
All I Want Is You started it for me. Miguel is such an amazing artist and musician, and this is beyond good of an album, freshman or otherwise. Every track on this album is good. Seriously, EVERY track. This is an album that I can listen to through and through. Though there are some favorites: Teach Me, Girls Like You, Quickie, and of course Sure Thing. I absolutely however, love Teach Me - I presume it to be my favorite of them all. But this is such a wonderful album and I was disappointed when the Grammys didn't nominate Miguel for best new artist or in some other category related to his album. Since they cut out a ton of categories, a lot of artists are now mismatched in categories which pushes out the people who truly are that category to miss out (i.e. Miguel, Jill Scott, Ledisi, etc). But besides that, this album is absolutely worth the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Miguel's Debut, June 8, 2012
This review is from: All I Want Is You (MP3 Music)
This album is Miguel's debut and you would think he was a veteran with the way he came with everything. The album is filled with excellent instrumentals and he has a nice voice. He's no Luther, but he doesn't have to be. He is exactly what the industry, and genre need right now. He's fresh and filled with energy packed into these tracks. Some say he teaters along the lines of Prince, but I think he's making a way for himself and his versatility in sound foreshadows a lengthy career, which is rare lately. I mostly like when artists create music that can't definitively squeeze into one genre, but encompass elements of multiple genres, and I think Miguel does that here. Also check out his mixtapes that follow this album, which are Art Dealer Chic vol.1 and Art Dealer Chic vol. 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars You Can Bet That, Never Gotta Sweat That..., June 7, 2011
This review is from: All I Want Is You (Audio CD)
Great debut, but I can't quite give it 5 stars, along the lines of say, Maxwell's first album. But very good, shows craftsmanship and a lot of promise, and it IS reminiscent of early Prince in spots. It IS a little short, but I would rather have a short project with very little filler than a 70 minute disc where you find yourself skipping several songs and skits. The first 2 cuts are my favorites, but this cd is great to listen to all the way through, and I look forward to more from Miguel.

All I Want Is You
All I Want Is You by Miguel (Audio CD - 2010)