5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a great handbook for saving time and Money
Published on January 23, 2012 by EID

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on June 9, 2012 by Cozy Cat

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a great handbook for saving time and Money, January 23, 2012
EID (Saltillo, MS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All In Good Time: When to Save, Stock Up, and Schedule Everything for Your Home (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading this book and loved that the authors really organized the book well and were concise and to the point with their tips. The book is organized by rooms giving tips on how to save money on every room in your house. The ladies even gave a neat tip on what to do if you didn't get enough sleep and feel tired the next morning which is to drink a glass of water with lemon in it. I found the tips on washing and drying clothes at night because the electric company charges less money at night very interesting and something I didn't know. I also loved the recipe on how to make your own laundry detergent interesting because I didn't know how to do that and have always wanted to learn how to do it. This book is a great resource on how to make small changes in regards to what time you will purchase things for your home and beyond your home in order to save you money. The authors even give you links to other websites that have more information. I am single and don't have children so I skimmed over those parts that talked about saving money on clothes and toys for kids but overall it is a well thought out concise book that will save you money. I will definately recomend it to others so they can also save money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Frugal Read, March 5, 2012
Kristen (Grabill, Indiana) - See all my reviews
I recently read All in Good Time: When to Save, Stock Up, and Schedule Everything for Your Home - a new book by Mandi Ehman and Tara Kuczykowski. Since I follow both of their websites (Life...Your Way and Deal Seeking Mom) regularly, I was eager to see what more these fabulous ladies had to share. I was not disappointed.

All in Good Time is a book that teaches you how to be frugal - based on the time. It teaches how there is a proper time for everything, whether it is changing your sheets, calling for an appointment, or shopping for a new suitcase. I had always known this to be true but this book showed me exactly how true this premise is.

All in Good Time is an easy to read book as there are short sections with many bullet points. It covers so many topics that there is sure to be something for everyone in this book.

Some of my favorite things were this. I liked knowing that their stock-up laundry detergent price is 10 cents an ounce. It's nice to have a formula to follow. That must be why I also liked their toilet paper principle. These ladies recommended paying 1 cent a square foot, or, more simply, $0.50 a double roll. I use the $0.50 rule already so it was good to know that I'm on the same frugal track!

All in Good Time also features hints for how to get an actual person on customer service, best back up your photos, declutter, and clean your oven.

Did you know that you can get a water heater timer to help lower your bills? I didn't! Did you know that many utility companies have peak usage hours with lower rates for off-hours usage? I need to call my utility company to see if that is true of ours. Did you know that it's not the threat count that matters but the type of thread used? Thanks to this book, now I know that, too!

All in Good Time is full of useful hints such as these. I highly recommend this book for everyone who is looking to save time and / or money!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, June 9, 2012
Cozy Cat "At Home" (Annandale, VA United States) - See all my reviews
There's absolutely nothing new here. The tips could easily be found with a one-second google search, and most of them are insultingly obvious. Use a pair of tweezers to remove a tick? Duh. Who of us in the 21st century don't know that? Store bicycles on rubber hooks in the garage. Save money on haircuts by cutting hair at home. On and on it goes. Not helpful and certainly not groundbreaking. The cover of the book is eye catching, I'll give it that. It's also pretty darn misleading. "The Best Time to ...Remodel the Kitchen" jumped out at me, since I'm planning just that: a kitchen overhaul. Turns out less than 2 pages of the book are devoted to this topic and are totally vague and trite, such as: "think through everything you want to do before you start." Sorry, this book is simply ridiculous for anyone with half a brain.

2.0 out of 5 stars When to Buy This Book? Upon Release of the Second Edition, October 2, 2012
What do new homeowners and poorly parented adults have in common? They could both benefit from All in Good Time: When to Save, Stock Up, and Schedule Everything for Your Home by Tara Kuczykowski with Mandi Ehman, founders of DealSeekingMom.com, LifeYourWay.net, and now AllinGoodTime.net, which is just a promotional site for the book. (I specify this last point because throughout the book, the authors point readers to AllinGoodTime.net/[some extension relevant to the topic], but when you navigate to AllinGoodTime.net, you learn the whole content of the site is just promotional to the book and for some reason (ad revenue or for simplicity's sake?) the authors have directed to outside Web sites via their book site).
All in Good Time is a good primer for anyone whose mother's idea of a home-cooked meal was throwing a prefab frozen meal in the microwave or for whose father's idea of taking care of the lawn meant writing out a check to the gardener once a month. But if your parents actually taught you some life skills, you're not likely to find much new information in All in Good Time. And in case you're thinking it might be helpful to just have what you do know pulled together in one place and scheduled - after all the subtitle does promise help with scheduling everything for your home - you'll be disappointed, if not perplexed, with the book's organization.
The authors go room by room in a typical house, tackling relevant topics alphabetically. For example, you'll read about Appliances, Cooking Dinner and Dishes in the Kitchen; and Airline Tickets, Batteries and Exercise in the Rec Room. Some of these seem to match right up, but others, such as Alarm Systems and Winter Weather in the Basement, are a bit of a stretch. Fortunately, the Table of Contents lists all the topics by room, but unfortunately, each topic has subtopics that are not listed in the Table of Contents. So to use this as a frequent reference, some unnecessary page-flipping should be expected. But my real complaint about the user-friendliness of this volume is that the scheduling of tasks and when to buy is not charted in an appendix. Each topic/subtopic has pertinent scheduling information, but if it's March and I want to know, "What should I do this month?" my only option is to sort through the entire book again. For this book to be highly useful to the reader, I would recommend you read it in front of a computer and chart out the recommendations by month, then save each month's list in your electronic or paper agenda to reference when that time comes.
That, in the best of scenarios. But my other sort of gripe about this book is that a great deal of the information in it is not going to be relevant to a great many people. With tips on cutting your own hair, homeschooling, making cleaning supplies from scratch and how to flush your hot water tank, and none of them to the extent that you could put down the book and go do it, it's just stretched too thin. Clearly there is a proclivity toward the frugal homemaker; but there won't be much new to the veteran homemaker. In my opinion, this book is most useful to people who are purchasing their own home and have no clue how to maintain it.
That's not to say I didn't get any benefit out of it. Had I paid full price for the book, it still would have resulted in being a bargain for one tip in particular I took from it: how to make your own foaming hand soap (p.90). And I also learned of a few worthwhile Web sites I hadn't known about before, not the least of which are the authors' own sites - both worthy of bookmarking, if not subscribing to.
In the final analysis, I would say wait for the second edition, in which, hopefully, the authors will give month-by-month recommendations in the appendix to make this encyclopedic endeavor highly useful to the reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of great ideas, February 8, 2012
Lisa McGeen (OXFORD, MI, US) - See all my reviews
What an eye opening book! As a new homeowner or just someone without a lot of expereince, the simple of tasks can seem overwhelming and this book broke things down in a way that just makes sense. I enjoyed that it is broken down by area in the house so that at a quick glace it is easy to find what you might be looking for. On the flip side to that, I enjoy just sitting down opening the book to a random page and seeing what tip I could learn from at random. Quite fun actually. It is written in a fashion that is both useful and easy to read. I think that one area that was skimped on a bit and would be extremely help was that of children. I think there could have been more about this topic. Every mom is looking for suggestions on how to get things down around the house or how to get the kids to do them. I would have liked to have seen more to help the mom's of children who are old enough to help but just don't seem to want to help. Maybe that is my personal situation talking but it is still my opinion.

I think that is says a lot that I caught my husband checking this book out a couple of times. Not just once but a couple, that must say something All in all, I learned a lot, even things that I should have known and didn't and this will be a book that stays on my shelf for a long time. Mostly because I know I can reference it time and again. Not everything applied to me now but who knows what the future has in store.

2.0 out of 5 stars Creative liberties with the title, April 2, 2012
I was a bit excited about this book since I love Mandi's blog. However, I am quite disappointed and find this book to be extremely boring. It is filled with dumb-down common sense, info that could be found anywhere online with the over saturation of helpful blogs these days. I was flipping ahead to see what would interest me by the second or third page. I kept waiting for an ah-ha moment when I would learn something that I didn't already know and none came.

If this book was meant to be a reference book, it is poorly designed for a reference book. It is not very easy to locate what I want just by flipping through the book. I did not find it interesting enough to be a book I would read in a few sittings and consequently, months after my purchase this book sits on my desk as a reminder of money I wasted. I am sorry to say that I think this book was a total waste.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for the frugal-liver!, January 27, 2012
This is a must have for the frugal saver, scheduler, stocker-uper for 2012 and beyond! These women's websites are helpful as well. They do all the leg work for those who do not have the time so they can benefit on all these savings as well. I personally am so thankful for what they do. I personally love My Frugal Adventures website as well. I would recommend this book. I am wondering if there is an application for all those electronic readers? I have already recommended this book to friends and family and they purchased! THANK YOU!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, February 23, 2013
It was disappointing, might be useful if you are young and just starting out. I would of like to see more technical detail, telling folks that paper towel should cost 75 cents a roll does nothing. Roll sizes are crazy different these days.

1.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense, November 28, 2012
This book is only good for a young couple. Anyone on their own for a short period of time knows these common sense ideas. Maybe a nice gift for a newly wed couple, but not a great buy for 'saving money'

5.0 out of 5 stars Schedule Everything for your Home, June 29, 2012
This guide is well written and has great advice. Can be used for young families or empty-nesters. Highly recommend to anyone interested in running an efficient home

All In Good Time: When to Save, Stock Up, and Schedule Everything for Your Home