4.0 out of 5 stars All It Takes
All it takes to become addicted to rick Braun is listening to this CD.
Published on September 7, 2009 by Charles R. Fonaas

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy on the ear.
The famed trumpeter returns with a mixed bag.
This is his 12th album: it accents the "smooth" more than the "jazz" and also serves as a showcase for keyboardist and producer Philippe Saisse, who has real musical chemistry with Braun.
Published on August 6, 2009 by Jazz for the dappers

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy on the ear., August 6, 2009
This review is from: All It Takes (Audio CD)
The famed trumpeter returns with a mixed bag.
Braun's big strengths when he first emerged were a musicality, an instrumentalist's timing and ideas and that made him a unique jazz musician, like a modern reincarnation of Herb Alpert.
Success, concerts (and hectic schedules & business) have swelled the budgets, and risked overwhelming his undoubted skills, eloquence and jazz instincts.
The result is an enjoyable but rather formulaic and predictable set of middle-of-the-road pop/commercial jazz which will certainly will make your summer evenings around the pool very pleasant.
After the listening, you really can't say which tracks are the best, all songs being mostly similar and indistinguishable, with the exception of some latin-tinged and midtempo tunes.
But though this set drops into the dinner-jazz and easy-listening boxes, there's enough good orchestral arrangement and sharp trumpet soloing to engage the big-band buffs and plenty of Rick Braun at his best.
A bunch of jazz stars join in: Richard Elliot on sax, the aforementioned Philippe Saisse on keyboards, Luis Conte on percussion, Marc Antoine and Dwight Sills on guitar, Ricky Lawson on drums.
For sure, it will sell well and reach the top of the commercial charts.
My highlights: "I Got Your Back", "Ever Changing World".
The album debuts at # 4 of the Billboard Top Jazz Album. Posted: August 15, 2009
(Billboard Magazine has discontinued the Contemporary Jazz Chart, which was a good thing indeed. Sad. Can we call JAZZ albums the latest recordings from Will Downing or Rick Braun? They are pop/jazzy records! This is move from the music industry which, for market purposes, prefer to avoid that boundary line that might jeopardize the sale of the lightweight, smooth jazz recordings as entertaining, second rate products. What a nonsense).
RnR
Rock Steady
Anything Goes

4.0 out of 5 stars All It Takes, September 7, 2009
This review is from: All It Takes (Audio CD)
All it takes to become addicted to rick Braun is listening to this CD.
It's quality Braun all the way with a few twists. His tributes to artists such as Herb Alpert and Freddie Hubbard reflect their styles in such a way that you can almost hear them playing the piece with him. The CD as a whole is lively and entertaining. Parts of it are classic Braun type pieces without being boring or old hat. I have all of Rick Braun's work and I believe this is his best work in a while. I would put it on a par with "Beat Street".

5.0 out of 5 stars 'All It Takes' features Rick at his best!, April 6, 2010
This review is from: All It Takes (Audio CD)
Some would describe this music - "the softer side of Rick" - and I would agree, except that I would add this is one of his very best 'soft' CDs ever! It showcases his fabulous horn playing artistry and is absolutely delightful to listen to. Several cuts feature Rick at his best with beautiful horn solos, in a range of notes uniquely Rick. So far, the first cut, "Tijuana Dance" is my favorite... I wish it was longer! Thanks, Rick, for your music once again! You are #1 and it is always a pleasure to hear what you will come out with next. You never disappoint. - Nancy

3.0 out of 5 stars Looking for a New Direction?, October 18, 2009
This review is from: All It Takes (Audio CD)
As far as smooth jazz/jazz crossover music, I will always cite Rick Braun...if you have ever seen him live, you KNOW he is the real deal. Having said that, this latest cd seems like he is looking for a direction to go, and is sitting in the middle of the road until he finds it. Good Luck, Rick, I hope you find a new path to blaze, we are waiting and will be there when you are ready to take us with you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rick Braun comes through again, September 12, 2009
This review is from: All It Takes (Audio CD)
Rick Braun is amazing. he is the consumate entertainer. I have seen him in concert shortly after this release and you can tell he loves what he does and enjoys putting on a great show.

4.0 out of 5 stars Huge Rick Braun Fan, This One I Love, August 26, 2009
BRB (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All It Takes (MP3 Music)
Ok, so I'm already a huge fan, but I have to say, this is one of my favorite RB recordings to date. While I'll agree this CD is overall less playful than some of his others, this is by no means "dinner music" as another reviewer has suggested. I'm blown away by this guy's gorgeous velvety tracks. No jazz trumpeter today has got a sweeter sound or more engaging musical sensibility. Don't miss this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars rick braun, October 17, 2012
This review is from: All It Takes (Audio CD)
This is the second rick braun album that I have bought. Rick Braun is new to my collection. Love this album as much as the first, which was, Kisses in the Rain. Such an easy to listen to album. Layback, and just makes you feel good listening to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars DIfferent style, and better!, October 25, 2011
Coen (Los Gatos) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All It Takes (Audio CD)
I buy all Rick Braun CDs. He changed his style on this CD, less smooth jazz, now more funk & latin! I like especially the opening track, it is upbeat and gives me a good mood. I rate this CD in his top 3 best, so you cannot go wrong buying this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars ~WOW! DO YA THING, RICK!~, July 28, 2009
This review is from: All It Takes (MP3 Music)
First, this review will be completely unbiased at this point. I start off in this fashion because prior to this CD, I had never purchased any music from Rick Braun, except his collaboration with Boney James. I think I have been more prone to listen to the sax than the trumpet, although I enjoy Miles Davis. Primarily, I listen to smooth jazz, and I have used Amazon.com as a tool to learn about familiar artists, as well as new ones. When I learned Mr. Braun had a new release coming out, I sampled the tracks because I generally try to keep the mode and mood in me and around me, "Ah, yes....." I honestly stopped to listen because of his name, not because of an expectation. I am guilty; the man is bad with his horn, and what has been my problem?! Forgive me. With this CD, Mr. Braun allows me to continue to provide a beautiful tempo to the background of my everyday. Sometimes, a faster tempo is welcoming, and I have created mp3 CD's that maximized this flow. He provides a taste of everything with this CD, and until now, I have basically kept him out of my collection. He hooked me with this one, and now, I must apologize and add even more of his melodies. I have my favorite jazz artists, and for me not to have added him, this was truly a disgrace and disservice to his amazing talent on the trumpet. Take a listen, or just buy it now: you will not be dissatisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another smooth piece of work!, March 7, 2013
Weissguy (S.F. Bay Area, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All It Takes (Audio CD)
Can't really go wrong with a Rick Braun disc. He's on top of his game when it comes to blowing some
smooth jazz coolness. I enjoyed this set of tunes with his trademark style.

All It Takes
All It Takes by Rick Braun (Audio CD - 2009)
Rate and Discover Movies