Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: All of Me
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on March 5, 2010
For what it is, this really isn't a bad film. Steve Martin is absolutely incredible as an up-and-coming lawyer possessed by the spirit of his cranky, rich, dead client. The story may be silly and the characters over-the-top (especially the "Tibetan swami"), but I found myself laughing at Martin's antics enough to keep me entertained from start to finish. Martin especially shines in scenes where he has to physically show that his body is under the command of two competing minds -- his left side walking and gesturing "like a man" and his right side walking and gesturing "like a woman." It's not a truly great film, but it makes wonderful B-movie Saturday matinee fare.

My real complaint is that the DVD itself is downright lousy. It's a "full-frame" pan-and-scan DVD (where sides of the widescreen original image were chopped off to fully fill an older TV screen), and the image quality is only fair at best. The picture looks washed out and film dust and a handful of scratches remain. The sound is especially bad -- the dialogue sounds muffled and the overall volume is low so that I had to crank up my stereo's volume to hear everything (and got a nasty shock when the full-volume studio logo appeared at the end). The DVD presentation gives the film the look of a cheesy low-budget educational film of 15-20 years earlier. This film really deserves a better presentation. Since it's now out-of-print, it's probably best to wait until the studios can give it a proper DVD or Blu-ray release.
66 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2010
I highly recommend this wonderful comedy, which I somehow missed when it first came out. Lots of slapstick, as you'd expect from Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin (and director Carl Reiner) in 1984. But there's also great chemistry between the leads, and even more importantly, a wonderfully warm and touching story. I recommend it highly to anyone who enjoys a good laugh and can still watch a movie that lacks explosions, shaky cam, or fast cuts and oversaturated colors. However, be prepared for a less than high-quality transfer. It looks like a 16:9 movie panned and scanned to 4:3, and transferred from a not especially clean source -- you can even see a fair amount of dirt on the screen in two scenes. Also, the disk lacks the special features listed on the box, such as subtitles, trailer and cast & crew info. In fact, the chapter list on the box doesn't match the chapters on the disk (24 listed on box, 16 on disk with different names). The box lists Trimark Gold Reel Collection, but the rather generic looking disk says Lions Gate.
Nevertheless, this seems to be the only copy around, and it's certainly worth watching!
on January 13, 2011
This is a great movie, one of my favs. Unfortunately, the DVD I received appears to be a bootlegged version. The film is grainy, as though someone recorded it off of a VHS tape and then burned that onto a DVD. There are several scenes where a fiber appears on the left side of the screen, and there's a continuous white line on the top border. The audio is subpar, and there are times where there's a split second delay between audio and video. It's a bit surreal, which would be ok if this were a Stanley Kubrick film.
on January 25, 2016
I purchased this for a friend's birthday. We decided to watch it together and I was so embarrassed! The picture quality was terrible! The color was muted (almost grayish) and there were white lines rolling at the top during most of the movie!!! Very disappointed since I spent the extra money thinking it would be the best quality and I was terribly wrong. It's a great movie but it was difficult to get through because of the factors I mentioned.
on November 6, 2009
This 1984 Carl Reiner comedy is one of the best film showcases of Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin's sundry talents. Tomlin plays a sickly spinster who is given the chance to transfer her soul to the body of another woman, and thus go on living. But the magic man who is supposed to make this happen goofs up and locks her spirit inside a bachelor lawyer (Martin)--or, more accurately, within the right half of the poor fellow's body. Suddenly, the swinging man-about-town is literally at odds with himself, unable to make a self-determining decision without a huge internal struggle. Martin's physical comedy, always remarkable, is absolutely inspired this time around, as he convincingly portrays a man split down the middle between opposing sensibilities. This is also one of the best films by Reiner, a filmmaker whose novel ideas are sometimes more striking than their execution.
on March 13, 2015
Good romp and fun to have 2 of the best comedians in one movie. Lily Tomlin and Steve Martin are a team that's hard to beat and play well off each other's comedy styles - his extrovert and hers drier.

We've been revisiting a lot of 1980s comedies and romcom movies, since almost all produced back then are geared for adults but are terrific family fare that you're safe watching with the tweens and teens.
on October 2, 2013
Other reviews have commented on the (poor) quality of the video image on the DVD. I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, so I can't comment on that yet.

But...

We LOVE this movie. Steve Martin is at his best, playing a half-possessed person. The way he changes his mannerisms is very impressive, and his physical acting is pure genius.

We often say, "In the bowl," around our house just because it's silly. If my child says, "Can you put some cereal in the bowl?" I will reply in Swami-voice and say, "In the bowl?" It's dumb, but it makes us laugh.

Get the movie, and find your own quotable moments. It will bring you fun and silliness for a long, long time.

I give the movie itself 5-stars, but downgraded it to 4-stars assuming the comments about lackluster video quality are true.
on September 21, 2013
I watched this last night. Really funny in the classic Martin style. He always has a dog in his movies, in this one the dog is always around. Lilly Tomlin is good in her part. The guy from the East is really funny. I love him. I guess the funniest part to me is when Lilly Tomlin goes into Martin's body, and he is on the street trying to find out how to move with her controlling half of his body. The scenes when Martin is in the bathroom talking with her and others are watching is really funny. It ends with a dance scene of Tomlin dancing with Martin. It really did portray the way a woman would dance if she had been unable to walk her entire life. I thought Tomlin did an excellent job.
on June 5, 2013
With the direction of Carl Reiner, Martin plays a guitar playing
lawyer who brings a dog to the office. He is sent to change the
will of Edwina Cutwater,(Lilly Tomlin) who believes that because
she is rich she can send her body by way of a swami Praca Laka,
when she dies,into the body of a beautiful con artist girl,(actually
Martin's wife at the time) When Edwina dies, her body misses the
mark and hits Martin on the head and Tomlin takes over the
right side of his body. Martin's efforts to deal with this, to get her
out of him are the funniest set of film comedy I've ever seen. Martin's gyrations
and contortions are pure comic genius. The ending peters out but
the first half is Carl Reiner's best work with Martin and Tomlin. Funny and as
sweet love story as they end up together. Martin and Tomlin- A list actors
at the top of their gameVery highly recommended!
on March 31, 2014
saw this movie years ago, and remembered that I liked it. so I bought the dvd for my collection. I LOVE this movie. there's a couple scenes where I'm actually crying because I'm laughing so hard. I'll watch this movie again and again. Happy, funny movie!