Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now Tikes

Format: PaperbackChange

on June 3, 2014
I loved the book! I hear there was a manga adaptation, saw this linked, and bought it without another thought.

This is NOT the Japanese Manga that is in Weekly Young Jump.

This is a very short, very compressed, very poorly done graphic novel adaptation. The artwork isn't even worth looking at.

Don't buy this. Buy the book, hope the manga gets published in English, and maybe enjoy the Hollywood adaptation (which is getting "Meh" reviews from fans of the book).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2014
Much like the title says, this graphic novel was obviously made as a quick tie in/cash in for the movie coming out soon.

The art looks good.

Basically everything else.

This graphic novel is relatively short (Amazon lists it as 96 pages) and in this space they try to jam in the entirety of the novel. While the novel itself was relatively short it was full of action. The result of jamming this into such a small amount of space is the entire narrative is disjointed and things seem to happen at random with little to no explanation. The graphic novel would need to be about double it's current length to have a decent narrative going on and to connect the dots in some way that makes sense. It was a lot like trying to read a book that is randomly missing pages.

The art is fairly good, though the designs they chose to use for various things (especially the jackets) seemed rather goofy. That's a personal preference, so not really a pro or a con. Decent (not great) art is the only reason this got 2 stars instead of 1.

The other piece that really killed me was how things were randomly changed in the story. I won't get into details to avoid spoilers, but some of the more interesting imagery from the original novel was replaced by things that took exactly as much space to show, but really contributed nothing to the book.

In summary, if you read the original novel this is likely to be incredibly disappointing. If you didn't read the novel and are coming to this fresh, it will likely just be confusing and a little boring.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2014
Do not buy! This is NOT the manga adaptation of the light novel but a quick movie tie-in. You'll want the All You Need Is Kill Volume 1 and 2 which are available digitally for Kindle.
on May 25, 2014
A graphic novel is, in form, a bound book with material similar to full novels. They can be hardcover or card stock and include topics of fiction and non-fiction, or even such things as anthologies or collections.

The graphic novel is distinguished from comics or comic books even though the bulk of the material consists of art work. Comic books are printed on inexpensive bulk paper and graphic novels are printed on much higher quality of paper. Some are truly beautiful with glossy pages and beautiful illustrations. Moreover, comics contain advertising whereas graphic novels do not. Also, graphic novels invariably contain a story line that has a beginning, middle, and end; comic books tend to be episodic in nature. Comic books are much, much, shorter than graphic novels (some graphic novels I've seen approach 150 pages--an average seems to be around 100 pages.

I mention these attributes to graphic novels because some purported-to-be graphic novels are nothing more than a few comics put together with a card stock cover. It is so disappointing when a title is described and billed as a graphic novel and you spend your money expecting to get a graphic novel, but end up with a glorified comic book. Now, let's take a look at All You Need Is Kill, Graphic Novel to see how it stands up under scrutiny.

All You Need Is Kill, Graphic Novel has 96 pages--more than a comic book, so it does fit into the size of a graphic novel. The cover is card stock. Again, not something a comic book usually has, so good, so far.

The only advertising I saw was on the last page--the author advertising his own original novel, All You Need Is Kill (and one other novel by him); so that's very good. The cover art and the illustrations inside, by Lee Ferguson, are beautifully rendered and colored and the art is on glossy paper that is, indeed, beautiful to look at. Additionally, its dimensions are 10.2 x 6.9 x 0.2 inches, weighs 4.8 oz. (shipping), and it is in the English Language [ISBN-10: 142156081X; ISBN-13: 978-1421560816].

The story is adapted by Nick Mamatas, and it is clear that the story is adapted from All You Need Is Kill (the novel). Remembering that it is a graphic novel, we know that not everything can be included from a full size book--this one (including the "After- ward") is 269 pages; distilling the book down to 96 pages of art, it seems that the requirement of having a complete story arc is met. And, while the adaptor does a good job selecting what to include in the graphic novel and includes all of the critical story elements, the dialog and scene descriptions fall far short of what I consider good. To me, it just looks as if they rushed this graphic novel into production too fast to get it right. Disappointing.

It is terrible that this brand new book is already falling apart! At the spine, the whole spine seems to be starting to come loose as well as the individual pages. I LOVE my books and I have gently read the book and handled it, only to see this happen. I really don't like it that some publishers permit shoddy craftsmanship like this. This is factored into my review of the book.

Technically, all the elements appear to be met to consider this a graphic novel. I did love the beautiful art, the cover, and the story line, but thought that the execution of the dialog and scene descriptions were far below what I'd consider to be good. Moreover, I've only read the book once and opened it a second time to take pictures. It is disappointing that the book is already falling apart.

What had started out as a 5 star graphic novel has dropped to 2.5 stars because of these failings. My advice is to skip the graphic novel and go straight for the novel. Save your $8.75--I'm sorry I bought it. (I uploaded three images. Two are shown, above. The one showing the pages falling out of the book was taken off Amazon. Why wouldn't they permit my picture of the book with the pages falling out?)
on May 31, 2014
First off, All You Need Is Kill, is one of my favorite SF novels of the last few years. So I had high hopes. (I have zero hope for the Tom Cruise film coming out soon.)

For the most part, they were met. The artwork is clean, and Nick got what I consider to be the crucial scenes onto the page. You can follow the story without having read the book, and if you have, the story has remained faithful.

As with other reviewers, I believe that this adaptation could've used another fifteen to twenty pages to really fill out the story, but somehow I doubt that was either the author or the adapter's fault, so I've only dinged it a star. Still solid, just not transcendent.

In summary, I'd recommend this for anyone who likes a good military s/f yarn, and as a gateway if you're trying to get a teenager to read. Lead with this, then if they want more info, offer them the novel.
on July 17, 2014
I loved the original Japanese book, and was hesitant to read this graphic novel, but I gave it a try since I like the writing of Nick Mamatas. The action flows well, the writing is solid, and the art - though far different from my visualization of the world and characters - is gorgeous. My only quibble is the story is too compressed in this format, and I would have liked it expanded to double this length. I'm sure I filled in details from the original book wherever the graphic novel moved too quickly, and can see this could have been a problem for those who are reading this version first.
on June 4, 2014
looking toward Seeing the film, good read and excellent artwork. it's a fast read as well. but worth every penny.
on August 5, 2015
Seriously, whoever did the art for this needs to go out of a job. Its hideous. I don't know how close to the actual book story line this is, and I have to say, I don't care. It could be spot on, or it could simply be good writing, whatever the case, the existence of this needs to be ignored. I don't care if its a good read, and I have two reasons to support this. Firstly, when going to get a graphic novel (which I never really do, I only really get attracted to manga), one of the biggest if not the only thing that you're considering right there on the spot is the art. If its bad, you move on to something else. I don't see the point in reading something like this if you think the art is bad. Maybe you think its good, and good for you, you have bad taste. I don't usually judge people for liking things, but this is an exception, I hate the art that much, also because of how much I love the original story, which brings me to my second point. Maybe this is a good read, I don't know, and no one should care, because this is based off of a book. If you want a good read, read that. If you want a good read with good art, read the manga adaptation of this. The art in that is fantastic. Seriously though, if you read through this and like it, well that's just fine. If the art sits right with you, even if I don't understand how anyone could like it, I won't judge. I'm just trying to give a warning. I'm also not trying to badmouth Hiroshi, I think he's great. I would just like to badmouth the artist, and the ****heads who published this. Read the novel, read the manga. Ignore this and the film, and you'll be set.
on September 12, 2015
My only other experience with the series was the manga version here: All You Need is Kill (manga): 2-in-1 Edition

I figured, hey, let's see what the graphic novel adaptation is like. So I opened it, and man, talk about disappointment. I should've known better once I saw how thin the book actually was, to begin with. This is a disjointed, disorienting adaptation that uses a single page to skim over something that was covered by multiple pages in the manga, leaving a confusing kind of mess that I feel I was only able to understand because I already had familiarity with the story. I barely made it to six pages or so before giving up on it. The script is so thin that it winds up being awful, and it misses a lot of the small details that really make the story shine.

The art does look kinda cool, though I don't like the combat exoskeleton designs, but the artist does not have a good sense of dramatic layout. Characters just sorta exist in-frame, and the whole thing is rather dull, visually.

Do not recommend, just get the manga instead. It's almost as cheap and it has much more inside.
on November 10, 2014
The art was not at all awe inspiring. This is definitely one of the few times that I enjoy the story and concepts from the movie better. I bought this because I really enjoyed the movie based on the original book. Most graphic novels modeled after books are like storyboards for the actual book. That being said I wanted to see the "highlights" and what things differed from the original story and the movie. Perhaps, since the original novel was in Japanese some of the "wow factor" was lost in translation. The only thing I can really say I liked was that the main character wrote the day he was living on his hand. It helped to bring a bit more gravity to the situation to realize it had been so long in the same day. I will be skipping the novel, I really had much higher hopes for this title. It is definitely not the worst, but it far from what I would consider good. It was okay at best. I am throwing it away, doesn't warrant another read-through.