5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Thorough Reference for Parables
Published on September 5, 2000 by bethlovesbooks

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea...
This book seems a little too literal and not spiritually revealing for my liking. Many Parables contain spiritual mysteries which I hoped would be explained simply. But this book doesn't bring those out. Instead it relates a lot of literal teachings to other scriptural concepts and that wasn't helpful to me.

Here's an example.

The Pearl...
Published on November 20, 2008 by Joseph Arechiga

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Thorough Reference for Parables, September 5, 2000
Although this may not be a ground breaking text with new and exciting theories, it is an excellent resource for anyone who wants to understand the parables of the Bible better. The book discusses parables in both the Old and New Testaments. You can look up the parable by the chapter and book that it appears in, and there is also a way to reference them by topic/subject.
I've used this commentary a lot in my Bible studies because it is very thorough and even handed. Lockyer breaks the parables down item-by-item, point-by-point, then summarizes the dominant critical interpretations of each one. Because his treatment is extensive, the commentary for a single parable will often run for several pages.
I appreciate the clarity that his summaries bring to the text. Also, he is careful to admit that we can over interpret things and for the most part, manages to avoid this tendency. He asserts his own interpretation for each parable, but not in a know-it-all fashion.
This book challenges me to think about what God wants us to learn through these stories. They are like little puzzles, and I am fascinated to think about all the different ways they can be interpreted. Also, this book has cleared up some parables that were downright confusing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea..., November 20, 2008
Joseph Arechiga (North Hollywood, CA USA) - See all my reviews

Here's an example.

The Pearl

From my understanding "the Pearl" represents something beautiful created by something ugly through a lifetime of suffering. Like overcoming Christians or the Bride. Since the gates of the Kingdom of God in Revelation are 12 huge Pearls one for each gate it means that one enters into communion with God through much suffering and that agrees with scripture.

But the book explains it like this:
"The Pearl reveals God's ultimate victory in the presence of man's failure. As we shall see, when considering the parable in detail, the One who purchased the Pearl discloses "the glorious transmuting of the murderous hate of sinful humanity into redemption by the love of God."

What that means I have no idea but it sounds good.

I might have gained more from this book if I were a PHD I suspect.

Everyone else seems to like it though. So maybe it's just me.

5.0 out of 5 stars daughter pleased, August 23, 2010
got this for my daughter. she is very pleased with the clarity of the information in this book. and, you know, she is pretty picky so i am very pleased, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Title is Misleading, July 10, 2006
This is actually a very useful book for the study of Bible prophecy. It contains scholarly explanations for the imagery of many of the Bible prophets. I had seen it offered from another dealer for $1.98 as an introduction to Lockyer's "All" series. I had passed it by many times thinking it was just an expositon of the parables of Jesus Christ. But I did find it very useful in my study of Ezekiel as many of Ezekiel's prophecies are consdered "parables" by Lockyer. A really great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bible study aid., September 26, 2012
Alan D. Igo (San Bernardino, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All the Parables of the Bible: A Study and Analysis of the More Than 250 Parables in Scripture (Hardcover)
As are all of the Lockyer "all" series, great helps and commentary are clearly and concisely explained for many difficult portions of scripture. A much needed addition to anyone's library. I'm constantly amazed at the remarkable achievements of most biblical scholars in those days. Lockyer is in that category. His research and insights will be of great help to any bible student or teacher. Be advised that if you want the entire 21 volumes, it will behoove you to buy them separately from the many vendors like here on Amazon. The books, even in "used, very good" condition, can be almost new. It could save you a LOT, like it did me.

5.0 out of 5 stars more than you know, April 17, 2012
M. Dargie (Mt. Pleasant, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I found All the Parables of the Bible very fascinating and very imformative. It helps to disclose thoughts and ideas about scriptures that have been puzzling for a long time to me. There are parables that I never knew were in the Bible before. I recommend this book to anyone that is interested in searching the scriptures for symbols and metaphors of the things you dream, which is why I bought the book, that this book fills in a lot of the gaps that I was unable to have my mind open to; and to put into perspective some of the things that have been revealed to me in my dreams.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the Parables of the Bible, September 2, 2012
The Rev. Dr. Lockyer is most knowledgable, and well researched on every subject on which he writes. This book is now being used in our adult Bible study class to study the parables of the Bible. Most folks don't realize that there are over 250 parables in the whole Bible. Lockyer gives a clear understanding of each one and its use in its time. This is a wonderful book.
I received the book quickly from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars PARABLE, September 1, 2012
YEARS AGO, I READ THESE BOOKS AND WISHED TO REFRESH MY MEMORY ON WHAT THEY SAID. I STUDY THE BIBLE DAILY AND READ A LOT OF OTHER MATERIAL ALSO.THESE BOOKS ARE WELL WRITTEN AND CONTAIN AN ABUNDANCE OF RELEVANT INFORMATION.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, August 30, 2010
these books I ordered were awesome and I've already dove into then. They shipped very fast and arrived in great condition. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy, September 2, 2013
I liked it very much. It is being used as bible study for elderly in a nursing facility. Thank you!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›