Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on January 16, 2010
I received an All New Square Foot Gardening Cookbook for Christmas.
This is NOT "just another cookbook".
It is packed with extra info like when to harvest, signs that it is ready, how to harvest and tips for storage.
The pages for Planting Schedule for Continuous Harvest Crops and Plant Spacing contain the extra help I need.
I am not a big fan of eggplant but I can see myself trying these recipies. I may find a new favorite veggie!
I think this "cookbook" will encourage more people to start a garden and take their harvest to the family table.
Marsha Garner
Kyle, Tx.
0Comment32 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2010
I usually pick up a few magazines and books to read while I am in Lowes to stave off the boredom while DH looks at everything hardware and power toolwise. Today I happened to pick up this book. I was intrigued as I had read the Square Foot Gardener book. I had never implemented anything in the book mind you, but it was still an enjoyable read. I figured that anyone who is that awesome a gardener must have some awesome fresh recipes. I was definitely not disappointed!

First of all, the book is beautiful. Nice large colorful pictures of not only the dishes, but also of the vegetables, herbs, etc. that are grown to make the dishes. The book is divided into sections for each vegetable with instructions on growing, pairing, etc, in the beginning, followed by a couple of recipes highlighting each vegetable. There is also a section and a few recipes for herbs. Some of the recipes are a variation of classics, but others are new inventions. The ingredients are easy to find so you won't have to search high and low for that one ingredient that makes the dish special. All the recipes looked and sounded yummy. They are also relatively health, using sour cream (you can substitute non-fat if you choose) and no butter. There was only one I thought wasn't the greatest because it uses 2 cans of cream soup. Soup being very high in salt.

I was so excited about this book that I almost bought it right then and there at $17.97, until I remembered amazon. So, I rushed home to order it right away. Thank you Mr. Bartholomew for a wonderful cookbook! I can't wait to get the book in and get cooking.
on December 8, 2010
I vowed I'd never buy another cookbook, but after seeing this I had to have it. I was never sure when to pick the vegetables from my garden, but this "cookbook" tells me. Plus if I should get an overabundance of a certain crop, I have several ways to use it.

I had the privilege of meeting Mel Bartholomew when I went to a symposium to become a certified teacher of the Square Foot Gardening method. His Foundation (the Square Foot Gardening Foundation) is trying to wipe out world hunger.

This book would make a great gift for anyone who loves good food made from fresh ingredients.
on May 20, 2010
After getting so much produce from trying the square foot gardening I figured I better find some new recipes. We tried the green bean salad and it was yummy. We're going to try the cucumber drink next. I also like the recipes to use when you have an over abundance of one crop. Thanks
on January 31, 2010
First of all this book could not have been written by anybody but an engineer. The author, a retired engineer, debunks common gardening myths and provides a way to make garden practical instead of a chore and perhaps even fun. This is a how-to book that delivers and that is rare. Are you interested in being a successful gardener and doing it efficiently? Read this book and follow his method. It works.
0Comment21 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2011
I ordered this as a companion to All New Square Foot Gardening. The cookbook adds some fun and interesting facts to the gardening book. The recipes are delicious, easy to modify if needed and offer as inspiration to create original recipes using what is growing in your garden.
on June 18, 2012
We have a large square foot garden and give seminars on how to get started. It is nice to have his book to show people what you can do in small spaces.
on May 3, 2013
Great reference to assist with the Square Foot Gardening book. Easy to make recipes and excellent tips for growing food with ease.
on May 30, 2014
I will try this as soon as I can come up with the money to pay for the 3 types of dirt.
on April 11, 2013
I haven't used any of the recipes yet, but I am excited to try a few. They look really good and some things like ratatouille and risotto I have never tried so now I can. It also has information like when and how to harvest, what parts of the plant you can eat. Also companion planting information and what benefits the vegetable may have. It has something for the kids all through the book as well. In the back it has 4X4 grids for planning your garden, planting schedules as well as the spacing for square foot gardening. I cant wait to harvest my vegetables and try some of these wonderful looking recipes.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse