Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on November 15, 2007
Family Feud is a classic show that ran for an impressive nine years with the always dashing Richard Dawson as host. Though Feud has been revived a few times over the years, the new incarnations haven't come close to matching the original's popularity.

This DVD set includes some of the most memorable celebrity episodes of the game, most of which aired in primetime. It's a chance to see the reunited casts of classic shows like The Brady Bunch, Petticoat Junction, Gilligan's Island, Leave It to Beaver and others competing for charity. Other show casts taking part include WKRP in Cincinnati, The Love Boat, Eight is Enough, General Hospital, What's Happening!, Family, Dallas, Soap, Benson, The Jeffersons, and Welcome Back Kotter.

Prior to this release, you could only see the episodes if you were lucky enough to catch them on GSN. If you love classic TV shows and stars, you'll surely enjoy these episodes.

* Note: Though the box mentions the casts of Batman and Lost in Space, they aren't in this set. Only one episode from that particular special week of shows is included and features the casts of Hawaiian Eye and Gilligan's Island. It's still a great set but don't buy it looking for Batman and Lost in Space!
99 comments25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2008
Family vs. What's Happening
Love Boat vs. Eight is Enough
Hollywood Walk of Fame Special, Part 2
Your Hit Parade vs. Leave it to Beaver
22 comments21 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought this set and I love it! Excellent picture and sound quality here.
(Remember: it's 1980s full screen TV!)

Generally, each of these one-hour prime time specials is divided on episode menus thusly: Team 1 vs. Team 2 is one selection. Team 3 vs. Team 4 from the same hour is selection two. The winners of these two matches play a one-question game for the grand prize on selection three.

Twice there are only two days of a five daytime show battle between the same pair of teams and one time, there's three days. A Disc Four anomaly has a contest between Gilligan's Island and Hawaiian Eye. This is supposed to be followed by two matches with Batman. Perhaps some legal issue prevented BCI from using Batman and these segments were deleted AFTER box contents had been printed up.

It's speculative, OK?

If you liked Richard Dawson's FAMILY FEUD, you too will enjoy this collection!

FOR A COMPLETE LIST OF DVD CONTENTS THAT INCLUDES GUEST STARS IN
EACH CHAPTER (1-12), SEE COMMENT #1, LOCATED BELOW THIS REVIEW.
33 comments4 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
There have been so many game shows that have been definitive. While the shows itself have shown new life, the hosts on the other hand, have not delivered the originality we often loved before. There is no other game show that has stated that point like Family Feud. No matter who has hosted the show whether it was the late Ray Combs, Louie Anderson, Richard Karn from Home Improvement, or the latest host John O' Hurley, we will always think of the original master of the feud, Richard Dawson. During his original 9 year run from 1976-1985, Family Feud really delivered as one of the definitive game shows of all time in syndication and on ABC. The show has also appealed well from its constant airing on GSN, and now there are feuds that are returning to the light for the first time in years, which are now on home video for the first time ever.

All-Star Family Feud is a 4 disc DVD set showcasing your favorite celebrities playing your favorite game show with surveys. The collection primarily focuses in on special primetime episodes from Richard's ABC edition from the 70's and 80's which include your favorite stars from shows like Soap, Loni Anderson from WKRP In Cincinatti, Susan Lucci from All My Children, and the cast of The Brady Bunch. The DVD also includes some episodes from the syndicated edition including the 1985 Hollywood Walk Of Fame week, which also features the feud creator, the late great Mark Goodson, as well as actress and T.V. pioneer Betty White and Ceasear Romero. The shows are refreshing to watch, some of them also have never been aired on GSN before, and bring in a great appeal to those who've loved Dawson's days when he used to say survey said.

While we've seen game shows recently that came to DVD as board games like Jeopardy and The Price Is Right, the actual episodes are much more fun to watch. Family Feud has had many DVD game editions, but this DVD set is definitely the best. I loved watching these great shows for the first time, and if you are a fan of classic game shows, you'll absolutely love All-Star Family Feud as a part of your DVD collection.

Remastering: B+

Price: B

Overall: B 1/2+
on May 27, 2012
I bought this DVD when it was on sale for less than nine dollars. I've noticed that the price goes up and down quite a bit. For the price I paid, it was certainly a bargain. I like Richard Dawson but don't consider him to be the greatest game show host. However, for Family Feud he was a perfect fit. The real joy of these videos are being able to see stars come together from some of my favorite shows of those decades. From Petticoat Junction to The Brady Bunch, Soap, and Gilligan's Island and many more, it was great to see some of the stars that are no longer with us. One thing that surprised me--when I saw Frank Cady (Sam Drucker) of Petticoat Junction in these episodes, it motivated me to Google him to see when he passed away. It turns out that Frank Cady is still alive, 96 years old and living in California. It's amazing that many of the stars that you thought of as being so old back then are still alive. This included the guy who played Homer Bedlow on that show who only passed away in the past year or two. But I digress. If you grew up watching the shows that are featured on this collection, you will enjoy it immensely as did I. I lopped off one star for the box listing shows that were actually not featured in the set. Other than that, have fun.
on June 12, 2009
I remember watching the All-Star Family Feud specials in the '70s and '80s. They were always a treat for me. I remember hurrying to get my homework done, eat dinner, etc before they would come on ABC. It was a classic time.

When I discovered these specials were available on DVD, in one package, I was elated! How I wanted to see these episodes of "Family Feud" again. On occasion, I had seen a few of them over on Game Show Network, but it wasn't very often. Now, I own all of them, or certainly a nice collection. There are other episodes not included in this package, which I would also love to see again. I am hoping a second DVD set will be released in the future. I would buy it in a second!

A previous reviewer mentioned how interviews with celebrities who appeared, like Joyce Dewitt, Marla Gibbs, Dick Van Patten, and Meredith Baxter-Birney would have most definitely been an added bonus. I could not agree more. I am sure they have memories they would have gladly shared. Another reviewer noticed how often the cast of "Eight Is Enough" was on. True, they were on a lot. The entire cast, with the exception of Betty Buckley, made an appearance. I recently discovered they often played in memory of Diana Hyland, the Mom from the first season.

My sister, who was born during the original run of "Feud", enjoyed watching these shows with me more than I thought she would. For me, it was a trip back in time. Whether you grew up during those days or not, if you know the shows, you will like this. Now, I will admit if you are a stranger to these shows (Soap, Love Boat, The Jeffersons, It's A Living, Three's Company, etc...) you might not find this all that great. However, if you remember them, you will see a lot of familiar faces. It is one of the best collections I have ever seen, and I am so glad to own it.

They also need to release a daytime TV set. This was when the soap stars would come on, and play for charity too.
on February 3, 2010
This wasn't my typical DVD movie or TV show purchase. This occasion was reserved for good old family fun. My teenage children didn't grow up watching the original airing starring the one and only Richard Dawson on ABC TV and have only caught a few glimpses of this show while channel surfing though today's vast TV Wasteland. What made this purchase special was how it made the family gather around the television and participate with the program. Before we knew it, we had knocked down several episodes and the laughs kept coming. The kids loved it and it made what may have been just another evening more memorable. Like other reviews have stated, some of the program content mentioned on the box wasn't included on the DVD's and some of the programs had lower quality video than others but what would you expect for a game show this age? I'm sure they didn't record the episodes with DVD's in mind all these decades later. I highly recommend this DVD if you are in the mood for laughs or to spice up a family party or a get together with friends. The laughs we shared couldn't be measured in dollars spent (which by the way wasn't much) and we look forward to the possibility of future volumes.
on January 24, 2008
...still nice to have some of the classic Dawson episodes all the same.

As noted in other reviews, video quality in some of the episodes is a bit on the shaky side (mildly annoying), but overall most of the shows are of above average quality.

My big disappointment is that with the exception of a photo gallery on disc 4, there aren't any extras on this at all. No interviews, rare footage or lost episodes. One of the things that made the MG set great were all of those extra goodies that enhanced the episodes. Nothing like that here. Plus, I think there are just one too may episodes with the cast of 8 Is Enough. That was never my favorite show growing up, but that's my hang up.

There is a comment posted to an earlier review here that says that some of the episodes were edited down to 10 minutes. Don't believe that! Many of the shows in this set were hour long broadcasts, and these 10 minute segements were nothing more than the final showdown between the 2 winning teams from the previous matches in the games from the same show that proceed it in the set. All of the shows presented in this set are complete and intact!

All in all, it's good to have these shows available, although I would have welcomed just regular FF episodes with actual families as much as I would the celeb shows. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the TPIR set in March.
on February 16, 2008
If you're a fan of classic game shows or classic TV, this set is well worth the twenty bucks. Unlike the Match Game set, these are not episodes that you can just see on Game Show Network any day of the week. The video/audio quality is fine, with the exception of one segment-they probably should have called this one a "bonus feature" or put a notice before it, but it's not unwatchable or anything.
I would like to point out that these episodes are not edited-they have just taken each individual celebrity segment out of each episode and presented it by itself on the menus. It's a really odd way to do it, but the episodes themselves are all there. I'd recommend picking this up-it's a good deal for the price, and hopefully they'll keep putting out more game show DVDs.
on May 17, 2012
I love these just as much now as I did back when I watched them when the first aired. In fact, I probably like them even more now because of the nostalgia factor. Even if you're watching a feud with participants from a show that you don't remember, it's still the Feud with Richard Dawson.

The shows typically don't get past the 'Double' round because they take so much time at the beginning promo-ing the casts. And they don't have Batman or Lost in Space, so bad vibes to the people who made the packaging. In fact, it would have been nice if they listed the shows that are on the four DVDs on the box.

As far as the production quality of the DVD, it's more noticeable because the DVD menus are so crisp and sharp. But this is a TV show from the 70's and early 80's, so you can't expect it to be that good. The first Terminator movie had worse production quality than this. I've heard that you can convert film to High Definition, but this was probably originally tape instead of film, which is cheaper (hence why The Terminator movie used it). Regardless, even though I'm watching it on my 50" plasma TV, there are very few times that I even notice the quality once I initially get past the jolt at the beginning going from the menu to the show.

Anyway, it's 720 minutes of entertainment for less than $15. If they had a 'best of' section or a blooper section included, it would be incredible, but it's super the way it is. After you get this, you would probably enjoy the excellent Family Feud game for the iPod, as well. In fact, that's why I bought these DVDs, to show my daughter that one of her favorite iPod games was originally a TV show.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse