Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 2, 2003
I have this album but it comes with two CD's. If amazon's version really only comes with one I would recommend going to an actual CD store as I've never seen this CD with just one disc before. It always has two and the cover is black with everything else exactly the same.
Two discs of music provide a vast range songs. Some slow, some fast, some good, some not. The thing you want from soundtracks is for your imagination to be taken back to those movies when the song is playing and to be honest not all these songs do that but there are a substantial number of good ones that do.
The advantage this album has over similar ones is that all the songs on here are by the original artists, the same ones you actually here in the films. No doubt you will not like all the songs on here and some do appear on a lot of compilation albums but with 40 songs you surely will find enough you will enjoy.
Excellent 80's songs such as Ghostbusters, Take My Breathe Away and When The Going Gets Tough (The Tough Get Going) along with 70's classics like, Mustang Sally and Knockin' on Heaven's Door when combined with 90's movie hits such as The Shoop Shoop Song and Philadelphia make this a huge album.
Ah, the joys of hyperbole. If this is indeed "The All Time Greatest Movie Songs" then you would have to believe that the medium was invited in the mid-1980s when "Ruthless People" came out, because that is the only film not from the 1990s in this collection (and I vividly remember going to see "A Hard Day's Night" and "Lawrence of Arabia" in the 1960s). Would it have been so very wrong to say this collection represented the greatest movie songs of the 1990s? Well, yes, because that would not be true either.
Here you will find a #1 song from the Billboard charts, "A Whole New World" from "Aladdin" performed by Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle, an Oscar winning song, "Streets of Philadelphia" by Bruce Springsteen, and the album starts off with a song that accomplished both feats, "My Heart Will Go On," Celine Dion's end title tune from "Titanic." But the best selling movie song from the decade is not here: Whitney Houston's cover of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" from "The Bodyguard," which spent 14 weeks at #1. You do get Michael Jackson doing "Will You Be There (Theme from 'Free Willy')," but I do not think that is a good thing.
Overall the artists are better than the tunes. You have Lauryn Hill, Sophie B. Hawkins, Michael Bolton, Gloria Estefan, Kenny Loggins, Barbra Streisand, Bryan Adams, Billy Joel, Des'ree, and Luther Vandross. However, I bet you would be hard pressed to correctly identify half of the songs those artists sing on this album. Maybe part of the problem is that except for "Men in Black" by Will Smith, none of songs double as the title of the film. You might be able to whistle the theme from "Patton" or sing the title tune from your favorite Bond movie, but could you even name what song would be on the album if I told you it was from "William Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet" or "Simon Birch"?
The final nail in the coffin of this collection is going to be that you probably already have the best songs on "All Time Greatest Movie Songs." That means chances are remote you will find three or four songs you really want to add to your music library.
on September 25, 2001
Finally, a collection of movie music by the original soundtrack artists! This is an wonderful selection; particularly "Streets of Philadelphia" by Bruce Springsteen, "Go the Distance" by Michael Bolton, and "I Want to Spend My Lifetime Loving You" by Marc Anthony & Tina Arena. I would Highly Recommend this CD to anyone looking for a fine selection of movie songs - THIS is the one to have!
on May 31, 2001
The title of "All Time Greatest Movie songs" is the only flaw of this album. That's becasue it mostly covers 1990's hit movie themes. There are much older movie songs that are better. But over, this albums gets a star for being honest. A main example is "My Heart Will Go On". It even indicates on the back of the album it is an alternate version than what is on the original soundtrack. The version on this is the same as on Celine Dion's "Let's Talk about Love" and her "Decade of Song" greatest hits album. This version is about thirty seconds less than the soundtrack, with less instrumantal. Also, the great genius James Horner is not first billed as the producer of this song. The good news is "Streets of Philadelphia" is the original soundtrack version from Bruce Springsteen. This version is not even found on Bruce's Greatest Hits, as on that album "Streets of Philadelphia" is about 35 seconds shorter. Just like Celine Dion's solo albums, Springsteen's greatest hits doesn't credit the song as being different then the soundtrack version. But the best song on this album is "Streets of Philadelphia", as it is in its original version. This album also has songs from other great producers, like Jim Steinman and David Foster. As a matter of fact, Billy Joel's "Modern Woman" from Ruthless People is the last flashy song he did the 1980's. Phil ramone being the producer of this song also tells us something about this, as he is the one that made Joel's carrer to the height it is today. Also, this song has been out of print for years. This is worth buying, and again, a bonus for its honesty.
on August 10, 2013
Remember when you sang in the shower, you convinced yourself you sounded like Whitney or Michael? Well, who says you have to stop! This album is the best sing along album. It has all the faves from fave movies, that I'm sure touched you in many ways. So Croon on, buy the album, be a STAR!
on July 27, 2015
I'm okay with what's here and probably just as okay with what isn't. We have 17 songs from Free Willy to The Mask of Zorro from Billy Joel to Will Smith, Celine Dion to Babs.

These are also good background music songs. Most people will recognize most of them. Are the the ALL TIME greatest? Not a chance.
on June 27, 2013
I love movie songs and this was just a terrible compilation of songs with bad arrangements, in my opinion. Perhaps I should have read more closely to realize that while these are Movie Songs, they were not FROM THE MOVIES. totally disappointing
on February 3, 2010
I really enjoy this particular collection of movie tracks and especially Celine Dion's "My heart will go on" and Marc Anthony's duet on "I want to spend my life loving you"(Mask of Zorro) I like Lauryn Hill's "Sweetest thing" and Sophie Hawkins "As I lay me down to sleep" too. Although most of these songs weren't chart toppers, I still love this CD because these are quality tunes-mostly about love. I lost this CD once and am gladto own it again.
on April 22, 2009
The song list is just to varied and since when did Men in Black fit right after Titanic.
on March 5, 2001
This is honestly an excellent collection of songs from movies. I really enjoyed it. The "greatest songs" part is, of course, subjective and depends on the listener, but I really enjoy this CD. It is great to listen to and there are some songs that I don't even remember hearing that I would never have had the pleasure of listening to, had they not been on this CD. I love it!