5.0 out of 5 stars Singing works better than tylenol
Published on October 4, 2011 by ERT

3.0 out of 5 stars Am enjoying the book, however the book says "CD ...
Am enjoying the book, however the book says "CD Included" and there is NOT one with it. Am working with Amazon to get a replacement, though I fear the CD will be missing yet again.
Published 28 days ago by Kristi Richerson

5.0 out of 5 stars Singing works better than tylenol, October 4, 2011
This review is from: All Together Singing in the Kitchen: Creative Ways to Make and Listen to Music as a Family (Paperback)
This book is delightful and hilarious, full of the spark and joy The Nields bring to their stage shows. As a harried mom, I have only had time to read snippets here and there and use some of the songs off the CD, but it's enough! My 14 month old has been outrageously fussy recently--probably teething. I could not get him to stop crying this morning until I sang "Babar the Elephant" and gave him a ride on the "elevator." He went from crying, to indecisively caught between laughing and crying, to outright giggles. Same thing for diaper change--he was kicking and crying until I started in with "The Noble Duke of York" and then it was all smiles. Music is magic, and this book is the wand. Also them Nields gals is fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular book!, October 2, 2011
Benjaz (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
After decades of watching movies or playing games to pass the time I've only recently found the joys of playing music with my loved ones. I love looking up at the clock and realizing that hours of jamming have passed by in what seems like minutes. This book inspires me to do more and fills in the gaps as to why music makes me feel so good! The personal stories enrich the experience and make for a classic book that should be on every kitchen counter. The illustrations on the inside are all done by Katryna Nields and beautifully represent the profound impact that music has on all of us. Maybe she'll get to do the art on the 2nd edition cover!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Terrific Introduction to Enjoying Music as a Family, November 23, 2011
Nerissa and Katryna Nields have struck the perfect balance between providing detailed guidance to parents wishing to introduce the joys of music to their children and sharing illustrative stories from their own lives to demonstrate the origins of their philosophies, musical and otherwise. The accompanying cd is packed with fun songs that kids will enjoy and that parents won't mind playing over and over again. For those with no or little musical experience, the book is a great starting point. For those with somewhat musical backgrounds, the book provides a great refresher course. Even those with extensive musical experience can find something here to enjoy and to inspire the creation of an atmosphere at home where music is a welcome member of the family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich resource for musical and non-musical families, September 30, 2011
Amazon Customer (Amherst, Ma. United States) - See all my reviews
I was given a copy of All Together Singing in the Kitchen as a gift and I am amazed at by how thorough and well-written it is. I do not play an instrument, but am a part of a musical family. I now feel like I have some tools for being a part of the music my family makes together. I actually feel like it may be possible for me to learn basic guitar using some of the chord charts provided! My children are 4, 8, 10, and 15- and there are ideas for connecting musically with children of all ages here. There are guidelines for family songwriting, musical parties, or instituting all school sings at your child's school. My favorite parts, however, are the sweetly illustrated narratives inserted throughout the book detailing the cute and clever ways Katryna and Nerissa's children approach music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge this book by its cover!, September 28, 2011
This is a very thoughtful and well-written book that is just what parents need- instructions. Many people aren't born into musical families but the Nields made this book to give us our own slice of what came naturally to them. I would also think this book is great for all teachers of young children. I totally agree (as a lesbian mom) that there is a lack of diversity on the cover, but covers are a publishers issue and the inside wording is not at all exclusive. All parents need ideas to make home life more fun and I love the ideas in this book! The CD is also amazing in a world full of children's musicians with grating voices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sing Out Loud!, November 30, 2011
This is a great book for families that love music but feel like they could use a little help in making it part of their lives. I really enjoy the different voices of the writers, their personal stories, practical suggestions and the whimsical illustrations. I especially like that you can read it cover to cover or pick it up and open to any part of the book (and your older kids can, too!)In the tradition of Rise Up Singing, this book will become a treasured book to own and a favorite book to give. Be encouraged--we can all make music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful and Useful, October 2, 2011
Robin Hoffman (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This book is well conceived and just plain useful. How do you find your singing key? What kind of music education is appropriate at what age, and what are all these methods, anyway? The Nields sisters answer so many questions you may have been afraid to ask.

3.0 out of 5 stars Am enjoying the book, however the book says "CD ..., November 29, 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Where's the diversity?, September 27, 2011
I am the father of two wonderful children who love to sing. I also foster children in need of a temporary safe home, and I use music as a way to connect and create a sense of caring and fun for these often-traumatized kids. A friend told me about this book, and I have been looking forward to it. I must say, though, that I'm very dismayed at what looks like a, well, Caucasian and stereotypically heterosexual nuclear family on the cover. As the adoptive gay and multi-racial father of an African-American child and a Guatemalan child, and various foster children, I am constantly being faced with lack of representation of my family. I don't know if there are illustrations on the inside, but if so I hope they, as well as the songs included in the book and on the cd, are much more representative of all children and all types of families (and pets!). Our world is spectacularly diverse, and so colorful and interesting. Your cover is not--but it IS a huge step backwards in the world of children's books and illustrations. I expected better of this duo and especially of this particular publishing company--the cover may look like the families of the authors, but how about the rest of us?? Please consider changing this in future editions, and then I may buy a copy. For now, I'll stick with my well-used copy of the songbook Rise up Singing. Thank you.

$22.95 $17.80