5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Better
I am a United States soldier. Being that I really cant stand to read war novels or anything military related. In fact I like to read anything that can get me as far from reality as I can.

Published on September 27, 2009 by L. Robokoff

3.0 out of 5 stars Publishing flaws mar otherwise standard fair
Published 8 months ago by Heartbreak 01

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Better, September 27, 2009
This review is from: All You Need Is Kill (Paperback)

I was looking in the public selection on the bookshelf and I noticed this title staring me down. The cover art was brilliant. Big suit of cybernetic armor with Japanese style of art. I said to myself this book has to be good. I know your not supposed to judge a book by its cover but I did.

I took it to my rack and began to read it. I was shocked to find how similar it is with our real world yet so far apart I felt like I was in another reality.

It had all the basics of the military in it. The Japanese 301st ID and the United Stated special forces. It was also interesting to see the military tactics used portrayed in this novel.

This book is Excellent for anyone who just wants to get away for the day or any anime scifi war zone action buff. I picked it up and couldn't put it down. Though short, I think this book was worth more than a lot of legends we know today.

Well worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Groundhogs Day meets Starship Troopers, August 2, 2009
This review is from: All You Need Is Kill (Paperback)
Groundhog's Day meets Starship Troopers is the best way to describe the story in All You Need Is Kill. It's a whole lot of fun and a wild ride. At just about 200 pages it's an exciting quick read that's just begging to be flown through. The only thing that puts me off is the $14 price tag on the cover that's a little steep for a 200 page paperback but it's definitely a lot of fun if you're a sci fi or anime buff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, February 8, 2010
This review is from: All You Need Is Kill (Paperback)
It's too bad the English edition didn't keep the interior artwork from the original Japanese light novel. Even without it, this is an excellent book. Without giving away more than is on the back cover: Private Keiji is a green recruit, about to face his first battle against an implacable and incomprehensible alien foe. He dies, only to wake up and do it all over again. And again. And again. How many painful deaths can he face? Is he trapped alone in a personal hell, or is there a way out? The ending works quite well; like most good war novels, it refuses to allow an easy "and they all lived happily ever after!" cop-out.

Really, the point of the book is about suffering, and how people face it. The old saying is that "a coward dies a thousand deaths, a hero dies only once". But not poor Keiji: whether a hero or a coward, he dies over and over and over...

5.0 out of 5 stars With superior characterization and a much different story I loved reading this more than I enjoyed the fantastic movie., June 16, 2014
J.L. D. (okemos, mi United States) - See all my reviews
All You Need is Kill (Edge of Tomorrow) Hiroshi Sakurazaka

I don't usually write reviews of films; so why should I start now? Let's forget that three other people wrote the screenplay for that little gem. I enjoyed the film aside from having just a moment of confusion about the ending.(Hope that doesn't stand as a spoiler.) As soon as I got home I got onto Amazons site and downloaded the book. This turned out to be fortuitous because the book was every bit if not better than the movie in many ways and it was, not so surprisingly, nothing like the movie. This works out well for both because if you have read the book you can still enjoy the movie as something quite different. And if you've seen the movie I would recommend that you read the book it came from. The ending is less of a head shaker but then you need to read it to find out what I mean by that.

So I heard it said that the movie was like Groundhog Day mixed with Starship Troopers. And more reverently compared to Groundhog Day mixed with Independence Day. Since these Mimics reminded me a lot of the Matrix Sentinel I think we can toss some of that into it too. But that's the movie and I'm cutting quickly to the original novel from which the idea was taken.

In the book the Mimics are described as looking somewhat like frogs which comes nowhere close to what we see in the movie. Keiji(Cage) Kiriya is not a Major in the US Forces(as William Cage in the movie is) but instead a UDF Jacket Jockey-fresh and green as they come going into his first real battle. A short battle at that and perhaps one of the longest short battles ever. His first meeting with the Full Metal Bitch (Mad Wargarita as the Japanese refer to her) is when she quiets him , after he's fatally hit, with some casual conversation while she waits for him to die; so she can take his battery. This is the introduction to the beginning of the loops. From Keiji's POV we get the grit of the war and perhaps some of the bitterness for those in command sending out the Jackets to die.

The story itself begins much like the book The Good Soldier Svejk, by Jaroslav Hasek (which is a dark comedy on the horror of war and the incompetence of the Army.) The movie starts much the same, but for my tastes seems to be a bit more comedic ( and might well be the reason to compare to Starship Troopers), which may have diminished the characters that surround Keiji as he prepares each day to go to battle vowing to save as many of his comrades as he can. Rita Vrataski may be the closest character carried over from book to movie. Well the red hair might be a bit off or washed out in the movie. But I would have to agree with some that the movie portrayal somewhat diminishes the strong female character by placing her further back from the lens than is in the book. In the book the reader gets a whole chapter from her POV.

The book also contains an account of the use of a battle axe trademark of Rita and how Keiji quickly picks up on the value of such; enough to begin training with one as soon as possible. I particularly love the explanation of how the axe would be the weapon of choice for close battle.

In the book there is a far greater field from which to become acquainted with the characters. This and the many differences of book to movie make it a separate story in itself that stands well and above the film in so many ways I can not emphasize enough the importance of reading this story as a sort of measure of a much more powerful story.

And for those who haven't seen the movie it is worth watching even for those who have read the book because in so many ways it is a completely different story being told.

This is great SFF for the Military Minded Fan.

J.L. Dobias

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story, left me wanting more, July 3, 2014
Steve H. (United States) - See all my reviews
Watched the movie, read the book, now I want to see the movie again. I think the concept of the book was brilliant. The story flows really well. My only major complaint about it, which is kinda a backhanded compliment, is that it's too short. I could certainly read a much longer version of this story and be quite happy. I would love to see a prequel to this book that tells us more of Rita's back story just like I'd like them to do a prequel movie.

The language is certainly rougher than I would like; I probably won't let my son read it yet due to the language. Then again, the characters are in the military and military people are not known for talking like nuns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, didn't expect the storyline, July 12, 2014
This was a great read. Lots of action, lots of twists and turns.

I watched Edge of Tomorrow first, and expected the book to be similar to the movie, but lots of deviations led to me getting to the end and being entirely surprised and equally invested emotionally.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need is Kill, December 13, 2013
I should start by saying I loved this book. It's a short read, and I guess that's my only gripe. The action is intense and almost never ending, which is amazing considering the repetition. When I finished, I looked online hoping there was a sequel, because I think there's still more to this universe, but sadly there isn't. Hopefully someday Hiroshi Sakurazaka will revisit Keiji Kiriya, because I'd love to see how this war ends.

3.0 out of 5 stars Publishing flaws mar otherwise standard fair, June 7, 2014
This review is from: All You Need Is Kill (Paperback)
I knew of Sakurazaka's previous work of Gendai Mahou, but didn't know he wrote this. With upcoming adaptation of movie version (and expectation of source material butchery), I decided to read ahead. It's an ok read but nothing spectacular. It has interesting premise and details here and there, but the story approach is rather typical Japanese light novel way which this book is. Reminded me of Kirito from SAO. But that's not the real problem here.

Some of decisions made by the publisher got in my way of fully enjoying the book. First of all, use of casual and strong languages changed the tone of the book entirely - I can guess which word was changed to which, and it should have been read drier. There are typos here and there, name orders are mixed, and some phrases were direct translation of Japanese which didn't really make sense in English (ex. 'flags'). Another thing is that they pulled out all the illustrations save the cover page. This book is supposed to be a type of Japanese pulp fiction called Light Novel and they usually include illustrations, some of them in full color. Whether it being insensitive negligence or licensing issue, they should have included them intact - these make up for visual description of details. Assuming it had average amounts for this type of novel, we are probably missing about 5~7 pages or so.

Even with all this complaining, it is still better story than Edge of Tomorrow (I watched the movie...) and i did find it somewhat enjoyable, so try it if you will. However, if you have ability to read Japanese, I recommend getting the original version of the book - you may obtain this through Amazon JP.

3.0 out of 5 stars Neat concept, mediocre execution, March 21, 2014
I suspect a lot of my blahs with this text come from translation issues, because there's WAY too much exposition in this novel, these infodumps that just absolutely stagger the forward movement of the plot.

It's a shame, because the plot's actually pretty compelling, or at least the idea behind it is neat. But I found it hard to summon any real emotion for any of the characters, like or dislike. The worldbuilding is great, as I've come to expect from the author's previous works, but he fails on characterization.

One thing that bugged me like nothing else was that every time a female character is introduced, the story absolutely positively must stop, to throw us a few paragraphs rating her relative attractiveness and the size of her boobs. This from a narrator we're supposed to think of as a pretty nice guy.

There were a few really great scenes, such as the fight in the cafeteria, and when he writes those shorter sections, that move the plot along fast, they are compelling and vivid. You just have to slog through needless bits of reported backstory (like the pages and pages of Rita's history which could be summed up as she likes coffee and pigs and is fighting because she lost her family) to get to them.

If you want really compelling sci fi battle stuff, that does WAY more accurate and gripping a job of suit-combat, you can't beat Heinlein's Starship Troopers. That was the standard by which I measured this book and, well, you can see, it didn't measure up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Live Die Repeat, December 19, 2014
When you play a video game, you have unlimited lives to figure out how to beat the enemy. What if real life war was the same way? Or what if Groundhog Day was based on war instead of Bill Murray trying to find his humanity?

This book was the basis for the Tom Cruise movie, Edge of Tomorrow. It differs substantially. Great movie, Great book.

All You Need Is Kill
All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka (Paperback - July 21, 2009)
$13.99 $8.77