Customer Discussions > Ragged Glory forum

All of Neil Young's Material

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 15, 2006 12:08:11 AM PST
Shopper says:
If you're reading this..its no accident. You're looking for good pricing on any Young & CrazyHorse material. All the reviews you've read above are accurate. I'm 45+ years of age and my advise is simple...if you like country, buy Neil. If you like Rock'nRoll, buy Neil. If you like it loud, buy Neil. If you like it hard, buy Neil. If you like it soft, buy Neil. If you like folk songs, buy Neil. Neil Young & Company will be remembered long after the others are dust. A century from now...Beethoven, Mozart, Elvis, Neil Young.

I hope that helps your buying decision. From "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" up through "Prairie Wind", the DVDs and the specials on satellite, you can't go wrong with an evening of Neil.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 4:18:50 PM PST
I consider myself a pretty big Neil Young fan. Sure he has made some clunkers along the way. But his good material far outweighs his bad work. I admire his songwriting more than anything. But I also like his courage to take chances, succede or fail. I think Neils artistic apex was the Rust Never Sleeps album. Not a single bad track and most of them outstanding. I suppose After The Goldrush is the album most hardcore Neil Young fans consider his finest moment. Though I perfer Rust you can't go wrong with either. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere is another early work that rates high. Zuma may be his most underrated. Freedom is outstanding and Harvest Moon contains some of his most beautiful songs. The first self titled album sounds a little timid and Young himself was not real happy with the vocals but it is still a very fine album. I just wouldn't start there if I was introducing someone to Neil Young. The other really outstanding album from Neil is Freedom. I also really like Time Fades Away which is kind of a strange live album of then new songs in 1973 that was overlooked. Comes A Time is a real good mellow/country album, a sort of preview of Harvest Moon. And yes, I even liked some of Youngs stranger experiments like This Notes For You he did with the horns and the one he did as The Shocking Pinks, a real odd rockabilly collection that many people don't like at all. Of course if you really don't know Neil Young, Deacade is a wonderful overview of some of Young's best songs up till 1977. Live Rust, Live At Massy Hall and Unplugged are all very good live collections. Even on some of Young's worst albums such as Reactor there is still a gem like Southern Pacific. You should also check out Neil's work with CSN on Deja Vu and the curiously maligned American Dream album, all his work with Buffalo Springfield and two killer versions of Dylan songs on Bob Dylans 30th anniversary collection. Neil Young is one of the finest artists of the last 40 years or so. He is in the same class as Bob Dylan and a few other exceptional artists. It is hard for me to imagine any real music fan not liking at least some of Neil Young's songs.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Ragged Glory forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Mar 15, 2006
Latest post:  Nov 23, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Ragged Glory
Ragged Glory by Neil Young (Audio CD - 1990)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (106)