Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 29, 2012 12:06:28 PM PDT
Michigan Jon says:
I see that the pre-release price for MOL has dropped from $35 to $23 and its still 6 months away from hitting the stores. Flagging interest ? (Or is it because those of us who began reading WOT when it first came out are now dying off of old age?) January is such a goofy release date anyway - think it will be moved up a couple of weeks to take advantage of the X-mas buying season ?

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 7:27:23 PM PDT
Amazon has always had excellent pre-order pricing for the Wheel Of Time books (at least since I've been pre-ordering them, which was book 10 and onward). I was able to get a copy of Towers Of Midnight for nearly 50% off cover by pre-ordering through Amazon. I don't think interest in this series has flagged, but I have little basis of comparison. Still an amazing series, and every time I re-read (or re-listen [audio books of this series are amazing as well, but pricey]) the books I find something new that I never caught before.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 8:08:35 AM PDT
Geomancer says:
No one sells hardcover books for full retail, and hasn't for a very long time. Only small stores like a grocery store, mom and pop store, gas station, etc do.

B&N, Borders (while it existed), Walmart, Target, Costco, Amazon, etc all sell new releases like this at a discount. Hell, even the Harry Potter books were ~$20 mark and they sell a heck of a lot more copies than this.

Towers of Midnight was $16.18 when it released. As stores keep under cutting each other to try and squeeze out more pre-orders the price will go down. Compitition benefits the consumers!

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 6:55:13 PM PDT
R. Smith says:
I placed my preorder within the first week it was up. (Maybe within the first one or two days)

At the time, the price was $20.31.

So the price hasn't actually dropped; it's gone up.

As for the release date, that was set awhile ago (before the writing was even complete). According to Brandon Sanderson's recent tweets, the final draft was completed a couple days ago. The only revisions left are small things (spellchecking, typesetting, etc.) I really hope this means the release date will be moved up. :)

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 11:18:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2012 11:22:45 AM PDT
Well my friends, it's all too late, with the world ending on December 21st (one day before my birthday) the last book will never be published. But we can find Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson in the afterlife and compare the last chapters.
With that bit of satire out of the way, I hope the Kindle release is coming too, I prefer the e-reader to the hardcover and I can't wait for the last book. Rand suffers from the same illogical dilema that Superman had, being so relatively omnipotent it takes him too long to fix the mundane problems of mortal man, my favorite parts of the series are the battles and fight scenes, they are so well described and pull you through the book until the next description of somebodies dress or mannerism. I understand the building of a whole world and the complexities of each race. It will take many more vollumes to cover all the history of this fabulous series.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 10:21:05 AM PDT
J. Santoro says:
Just in case, Martin -- Happy Birthday! My son's birthday is 12/23. Hope you enjoy the book or the spectral conversations.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 11:25:10 AM PST
Masha says:
Apparently the "full retail price" for this book is $35. Its a load of @c. Its like announcing the "giant sale" while quetly doubling the price of "retail" so the customer still pays more than he would have before the "sale" was annouced. Even Dance with Dragons was less expensive and its definately more popular than WoT now with HBO show and all. All other books retail price is $10 less at $25-28 so with Amazon sale the end price ends up with $15-17 per book (ex. Cold Days by Jim Butcher just released a month ago). Can't find any more ways to fleece customers with Christmas "deals", huh Amazon?

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 3:42:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 3:42:36 PM PST
Captain says:
Amazon sets the competitive price that everyone else has to match or lose out. If anyone else starts to sell it lower, Amazon will go down also. Amazon deserves great kudos for letting us buy for less than the retail of $35 which we would be paying at B&M stores like we used to.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 10:41:58 PM PST
Funny all that talk of worlds ending. Anyone who believed the one we're in would end is an utter moron, but *ahem* the world of the wheel of time may yet fall under the shadow... oh! rip the shirt, how cliché...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jul 29, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Memory of Light  (Wheel of Time, Book 14)
A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, Book 14) by Robert Jordan (Hardcover - January 8, 2013)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (3,251)