on August 30, 2012
I own a pair of AE Strands, size D, however these "European Style" Vernons run narrow. I also ordered an E width and those are too wide. So for me, these had to be returned.

As far as the shoes, the two pair I tried on were what you expect from Allen Edmonds, high quality, classy look and professional design.
on January 23, 2013
I got these from a local shoe smith on clearance for $195. They are the best shoes I have ever owned. I disagree about the narrow fit that was mentioned in another review. Mine fit just fine. They do require a break in, but off the bat they are more comfortable that shoes of similar construction and design. I really think this brand is the best value in a high-end shoe with perhaps Mezlan being the next best.
on October 7, 2012
My last pair of Allen Edmond shoes were close to 10 years old. They have held up with polishing the only maintenance they have had. The new ones look to have the same quality. I hate to part with the old one so I'm sending them back to get reconditioned.
on December 3, 2013
The AE Vernons are my first foray into true high-end quality shoes. I don't think I can go back. I was able to buy these when they were on sale on Amazon for 30% off with another 30% code (total +tax <$200) so I couldn't possibly pass them up. I was looking for a versatile brown dress shoe which I could wear to work with chinos, slacks, and possibly nice jeans. I saw these on sale and ding! Anyway, these are the first dress shoes which I tried on and were immediately comfortable. Very minor one day(!) break in period. I've never owned a pair of leather shoes before which didn't need more than a week of break-in until now. Amazing. The Vernons are basically constructed from nearly one single piece of leather, which is very cool. The shoe is simply decorated with perforations. Simple, but elegant is probably the best way to describe the shoe. The saddle brown is a very nice brown. Not too dark or light. After a shine, it really glows. Bottom line, I've already received several compliments on them and look forward to future AEs!
on April 23, 2015
Context: I love me some dress shoes, and am not easily impressed.

This particular acquisition was for my wedding, and I could not have been more impressed. In fact, the very first time I had these bad boys on for more than 5 mins. was the day of my wedding. (I bought them with plenty of time to break them in, but, as is almost always the case, time got away from me.) I wore them all day, danced the night away, and never even came close to feeling uncomfortable. Heck I even wore them to the continental breakfast the next day, and my feet felt great all the while.

I wore them with my tux, but they're readily adaptable to business casual. Simple, comfortable, classic.
on December 3, 2013
I had tried an 8D and an 8 1/2 D before. 8 too small. 8/12 too big. Thought the 8E might work, but this shoe just wasn't made for my foot. Also creasing is really apparent because no detail to hide it.
on August 17, 2013
What a great shoe! Classy, elegant, and the fit, for once, was perfect. Allen Edmonds has so many lasts and sizes it took me a while to find a shoe that fit right out of the box. But this was it! This shoe works in an elegant setting or as a traditional business balmoral, but with a touch of panache.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2013
I recently ordered these shoes, and I must say they were a comfortable fit the first time I wore them. I am a real fan of AE shoes and own several pairs which I wear almost exclusively. The first time I wore these shoes, I received several compliments on how good they looked. Can't say enough about these shoes.
on April 24, 2014
My husband ordered these to up is dress wardrobe. He loves how they fit right out of the box. He has a narrow foot and they fit him great. Didn't need any break in time. Will order more down the line.
on January 17, 2015
I bought my first pair of Allen Edmonds shoe nearly forty years ago. I still have them and 3 other pairs (all over 30 years old). After I do not remember how many times I have had to send them in to be resoled, I look forward to having any pair of these shoes on my feet.