Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 10, 2011
These are the best shoes I have ever owned. I own Cole Haan, Hugo Boss, Clarks, and Gordon Rush - all of those shoes feel cheap now. The Strand's are comfortable, look amazing, and are exceptionally high quality. I am so impressed with Allen Edmond that I intend to replace my lesser shoes with AE over the next few years. AE do go on sale (I purchased mine for a little under $200), so if the price is steep, just keep your eye open for sales. Also, I recommend you splurge on a nice shoe horn (like a 19" Shoe Horn), and a good set of cedar shoe trees, these shoes deserve to be treated well. Highly recommended!!
on August 29, 2011
It's this simple: Extremely well-made, classic American shoes from one of the best known names in men's shoes.

The strand design is one of AE's best, IMO. You just can't go wrong.

These shoes will oulast your ipod, ipad, and every other gadget you over-spend on. These shoes are an investment in your wardrobe and yourself. Purchase now and do not look back. You will be glad you did.
on March 28, 2010
In the words of someone else at Nordstrom's "These are the shoes, no matter what anyone says, these are the ones". It is so true. They look great, and feel better. Take the plunge, spend the cash, you'll love yourself later.
on May 25, 2016
This review is for the Allen Edmonds Men's Strand Cap-Toe Oxford.

I wanted a this style and color shoe to go with a blue suite and grey suite and had looked all over. I finally found the Allen Edmonds Strand and immediately purchased a pair. I already have 2 other AE shoes and figured these would be just as good. Unfortunately, I can only get a few hours of wear out of them before I need to take them off. They simply are the narrowest and tightest shoes I have ever worn. I wish I had read the other reviews here before buying them as I probably should have gone with a wider size than my normal 8 1/2 D. The 8 1/2D of this shoe fits great in the heal and length, but across the top of my foot they are just too tight and uncomfortable, ( And I am wearing thin socks, and have them tied very loosely and I still have to remove them for a few minutes ). I am hoping that over time, these shoes will stretch or become broken in so that they are more comfortable. And this really sux because the shoes are absolutely beautiful.

Now I know reviews can be subjective so please understand my purpose for this review is simply to let others know that this particular shoe style is narrow and might be very tight on some people. Please read other reviews. That being said, I will keep these shoes for when I wear my suit to a wedding or other event that will only be 3-4 hours long. Or when I have an important meeting at work because during the day at my desk, I can remove them and know one will know. I doubt I will ever again purchase a $300 pair of shoes.

Again, a very beautiful but uncomfortable shoe.
review image
on January 2, 2013
I have recently become somewhat of a shoe fan. I have a few other allen edmonds shoes (park ave, Fifth ave, Mcallister, Kiowa, Pronto). These are my favorite shoes. The walnut color is awesome and these shoes are the most versatile, you can wear them with a suit or just slacks and a shirt and they look equally nice. Jeans would be a bit of a stretch because they are cap toes, but I have my Mcallisters for denim.

I'm 30 and was unsure about the "fashionableness"(think I just made that word up) of these shoes, but I knew I really liked them. Since I've been wearing them they have gotten compliments from tons of women and even alot of guys (even younger guys - early 20s to my surprise).

They really are a nice balance between subtle/dressy and attention grabbing.

They feel pretty good on my feet but just as a heads up, the sizing is long (all AE shoes on this last are) I wear a 15 2E sneakers and in these the 13 EEE fit perfect.
on March 15, 2014
When you buy an Allen Edmonds shoe at $290, a person expects a certain level of quality. I ordered these shoes and paid for Saturday NDA delivery so I would have them in time for an interview. The shoes arrived on Saturday but when I opened the box from Amazon I was sadly disappointed. One of the shoes looked great, but the other looked like it was a practice shoe that the intern put together. It had glue underneath the varnish and a notch taken out of the side that was partially filled with glue.

I called Amazon right away and asked them to send another pair shipped Next Day Air. I am hoping that this was a fluke and the next pair should be of higher quality. I am put off that this pair actually made it through their quality control check.

Update:
I sent an email to Allen Edmonds letting them know about the shoes that I received and added a couple pictures. They replied quickly, apologized for the problem and explained that the notch in the sole was from where they started the welt joint and didn't fill it in or sand it before moving on to the next step. I guess that is a normal part of the process but was skipped somehow. I'm not sure how that made it past QC but I guess stuff happens.

Amazon sent another pair the next day and they look perfect. I'm happy with the shoes and hopefully the next pair down the road will arrive in good shape. Chances are, this pair will get re-boxed up by Amazon and sent to someone else (-:
on February 10, 2014
I'm in love with this shoe. I'm breaking them in right now and my office smells of fresh leather and the shoe has that slight creak of high quality leather flexing and molding to the shape my foot. People have noticed. The quality construction of this shoe is evident once it's in your hands - this is by far the nicest pair of shoes I have ever owned. The attention to detail is incredible from the metal washers that are inlaied behind each shoelace hole to the AE label on the inside. The only problem is that it's been a messy winter here and I don't want to get them wet so I've been hesitant to wear them often! I want to go smell them and rub them again right now - is that odd?

As many reviews have indicated, these run large in length and small in width. I wear a 8.5D in everything else and ended up with a 7.5D in this shoe. Had a 7.5E would have been available I think it would have fit perfectly. The D width is a little snug for me now but I expect the break in to make things right. I did use the AE online sizing tool and even verified that the print outs were scaled properly and it recommended 8.5D and they were enormous.
on March 5, 2014
Wearing crumby shoes one your feet is like putting sub-par tires on your high-end car, or low-end speakers on your high-end stereo. Your feet take the most physical abuse day-to-day and when your feet are having a bad day, the rest of you is having a bad day. Therefore, shelling out the extra ducats for higher end shoes is worth it in the long run. Not only are your shoes the first things people see (studies say, I still find strange) but they're the one clothing item you see the most too. A nice pair of dress shoes is good for the mind, attitude and posture. That being said, I'm not exclude to AE shoes - I find their lines to be very different from shoe to shoe. In this case, the Strand, it's what I'd call the "typical" or "average" AE shoe, but in a good way. The AE Banchory for example looks similar to the Strand but the leather is so soft it feels like you could push your finger through it. They're more like slippers. Whereas the Neumok is a more colorful version of the Strand but feels like coarse cow hide. The Strand is a perfect middle-of-the-road. The leather is firm enough that it doesn't lose it's shape but breaks in like a custom fitted shoe in not more than a week of 9-5 at the office. My first pair of Strands was 15 years ago and have since been resoled more times than I can count - they use a standard last and sole so pretty much any cobbler can do it. There's nothing special that requires you to send them off to AE for repair (although I've done that too, just takes a while longer). If you wear these to death as I have, resoling when necessary and keeping the polish looking fresh, they'll last longer than you. Stitching is awesome and reinforced everywhere it needs to be. Arch support is decent (I have flat feet and don't need to wear orthotics in these, although I could if I needed to). They also run true-to-size, very true in fact. My first pair of Strands is where I realized I had a "wide" foot. If you're the kind of guy that says "I'm between a 9 and 10", but your toes don't really hit up against the end of a size 9, then you're probably a 9E (wide). Therefore I would get the wide. There are other good mid-to-high-end brands out there too (Bruno, Too Boot NY) so this isn't to knock any of them. Italian shoes tend to fit differently and convey a different look. It's all good. But my Dad told me that every man should minimally have one pair of black and one pair of brown Allen Edmonds Oxfords in his closet, so if you don't have yours, I very highly suggest this one.
on May 10, 2014
I am a recent graduate working in tech, and as I grow and aim to advance my professional career, so does my wardrobe.

A bit of research about shoes and Allen Edmonds are a reliable and high quality brand. I decided to finally take the plunge since this is my FIRST higher end leather shoe. I ordered what my shoe size is normally (8D) and this fit perfectly. Note that this shoe uses the 5 last (which is a slimmer and longer shaped base), so you may need to order the next width up and one size down. Make sure to also get shoe care products if you decide to also get your first pair of quality shoes (brushes, polish).

The moment I put my foot in this shoe, I was quite surprised and then amazed that it fit like a glove - like a bespoke shoe! Leather quality and the design are striking. I wish I had the budget to get more AE shoes, which hopefully will come true in the near future.
on September 23, 2015
So I finally decided to stop buying a new pair of Bostonians every year and took the AE plunge. I literally live in dress shoes 45-60 hours a week and will continue to for years to come(hopefully less hours). So I am considering these an investment, not just in my wallet, but also in support and comfort.

I have heard you can wear these comfortable right out of the box. So I put them on and went for a walk around the office block for lunch. It is like I have been wearing them for weeks already. The leather is already adjusting to my feet. I actually had to tighten them when I got back to the office and they look incredible. I will update this review as my experience grows, but I am beyond impressed to start.

Put a pair of heel guards on to ensure that the heels don't wear down. Traveler Men's Shoe Heel Plates Taps with Nails Black Plastic Large 7 Pairs