4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for the price...
I've been pretty nervous looking for a decent but affordable bike rack. After initially getting an Outback Rack from Target, I was disappointed by the flimsy construction and had to return it. I did some more researching and wasn't able to find any reviews for low-mid-priced racks online. Found a Bell 3-bike rack from Walmart and later on a Bell 2-bike rack from Sports...
Published on July 25, 2005 by Alvin Tanhehco

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed
This product works great as long as you go under 45mph in your car. Ideal for city life. It's easy to put on and take off which beats dissembling your bike to put it in the trunk. It was fine when I had it for the first couple of months driving around the city to go the trails.

However, I drove 5 hours each way to go on a biking trip, mostly doing about 70+...
Published on July 18, 2010 by Critical

‹ Previous | 1 2 382 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Allen Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack, July 7, 2007
This review is from: Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack (Sports)
We were very pleased with this bike rack. There was very little movement of our bikes even with freeway driving. The down side was that we only were able to use it for less than 24 hours. On the second day of usage we were stopped at at stoplight with our bikes on the back of our car. We heard the loud screeching of tires and my husband looked in the rear view mirror and saw the back end of a pick up truck heading for the back of our car. The pick up truck driver was not paying attention and had been going so fast that he did a 180 degree turn when he hit his brakes before hitting our car. Our bikes were crushed but they were still attached to the bike rack which was bent but still holding on to the trunk and to our bikes. The bikes and bike rack cushioned the blow and prevented us from getting hurt at all. The bike rack stayed firm. The trunk of our car was pushed in and crumpled where the padded contact points of the bike rack were but the bike rack still hung on. We are about to order the same bike rack to replace our damaged one. We know it is well made!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, easy to use, great buy., November 9, 2006
K. Rigby (Cheyney,PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack (Sports)
Update -- 2008 Honda Accord SE sedan.
Works just as well with this vehicle as it did with the Jeep.
Honda's have a hook underneath, near the gas tank, but the angle is a bit "off" for this strap. So, you have to come in from the side, and REALLY crank it down tight. But again, no problems PA to NC & back.

Jeep Liberty -- mounted the rack solely to the spare tire. It was tough to get the back portion of the rack below the rear windshield wiper at first, but with the right angle (come in high) it can be done. Once mounted, the rack was as solid as could be. Straps/tie downs were all very easy to use.

Putting the bikes in the rack couldn't have been easier. There are receivers for two bikes on the rack, with integrated tie downs. Just drop the bike frame into the receivers, pull the straps through, and flip the little buckles. No bungees or additional straps are necessary.

The frame itself is of good quality tube steel, and it folds down fairly flat so it doesn't take up much room when not in use.

I used this rack to take 2 bikes from PA to NC & back, about 700 miles.
Not one problem or worry it would fall off of the vehicle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bike mount rack! ..BUT --> Not for spoilers!, June 1, 2011
Hello all,

Just to make it clear, this bike rack is excellent and not expensive!

It works great if you have a regular car, but.... I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla S which has a spoiler on the back - this greatly interferes with the mount rack. In fact, it actually places all the weight on the spoiler!!! So I had to put rolled up towels underneath the spoiler where the mount rack would hold so it wouldn't break my spoiler - and ofcourse the tower rolled up on to the spoiler (which I taped) so the metal mounts wouldn't dent/scratch my spoiler.

But it held great! I drove from Florida to NYC, over 1100+ miles and it held. The key is, put some tape (white or blue tape, which won't damage your car, and put 3+ layers of it) underneath where the hooks will grab your trunk/car so the metal won't scratch your car (I placed the lower metal mount to catch my trunk, since it is difficult to grab underneath the car).

Overall:
- If you have a regular car, with no spoiler on the back, it will probably work!
- But if you have a spoiler, it will work too, but you just have to fiddle around with it; if you put 2 bikes, it might break your spoiler! In this case you should just go to a store and buy one which will not place weight on your spoiler. I was kind of in a hurry and had no time to look around so I got this one, and I'm happy with it.

For those who gave it 1 or 2 stars: You probably did something wrong, or it is not compatible with your vehicle.

BEFORE YOU BUY:
Check this site for vehicle compatibility: [...]
Or you can call them: [...] or [...]

PROS:
*Inexpensive
*Great for 1 bike (I only placed 1 bike, but probably will work great with 2; just be careful of the weight limit as it is specified - place heavier bike closer to the car)
*If mounted correctly, will hold over a long trip

CONS:
*Not recommended for vehicles with spoilers

Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike rack!, August 26, 2010
This review is from: Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack (Sports)
I drove over 1300 miles with my bike on this rack, on local roads and on freeways, at speeds of up to 70 mph, and had no issues whatsoever. It is a little nerve-wracking because it is so light and your bike tends to bounce a little while you're driving, but it is quite sturdy. I drive a hatchback, and the ropes were long enough for my car. It is pretty easy to assemble (I have no experience in assembling racks as my husband usually does it for me, but I was able to assemble and disassemble this rack with no problems). You do have to follow the instructions carefully though, including making sure the ropes are perfectly straight and taut. You also have to make sure to knot the three ropes that hold the rack to your car, per the knotting instructions included with the rack. I also knotted the ropes holding the bike to rack, and to prevent the wheels from spinning/bike from swinging and hitting my car, I used rope to secure the bike wheels to the rack. Once you get the hang of it, it only takes about 5 minutes to set up.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little flimsy, August 28, 2007
Irene Motovilova "Irene" (Cliffside Park, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack (Sports)
I recently bought and used this bike mount for a 2 hour trip. The bike mount felt flimsy. My boyfriend and I took the front tires off because it seemed like the bike rack couldn't handle 2 fully assembled bikes. We also had to tie the bikes to each other becaue it looked like the bike on the outside was going to fly away when we were going 70 mph. I wish I spent a little more money, but got something a bit more sturdy.

Irene

1.0 out of 5 stars worst bike rack ever, September 16, 2007
This review is from: Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack (Sports)
This is the worst bike rack ever made. I've used it twice and both times as soon as we got above 30mph the rack just wobbled back and forth. The arm supports apparently aren't wide enough to stabilize 2 bikes properly. We checked and recked and tightened and re-tightened only to eventually put a dent in my MDX. We will never use it again and we are buying a hitch bike rack next.

5.0 out of 5 stars bike rack, January 10, 2011
This review is from: Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack (Sports)
Purchased this bike rack for hatchback. Worked easily and wonderfully. Also folds pretty flat for ease of storage when not in use. Bonus feature: it helped to keep the hatchback closed all they way across country as we had overstuffed the car for the trip and the hatchback would not latch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Fell Apart!!, September 21, 2010
Robb (western Mass.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack (Sports)
My girlfriend bought this bike rack (model 102D) and I always thought it was cheap and poorly designed. That they call it "deluxe" is laughable. For instance it only has one strap to stabilize the rack on the bottom instead of two. The rack was about 3 years old when this last summer we headed out for a day of biking. We were about 400' from the house when the two weight bearing straps broke. The stitching didn't fail, the straps did. The rack is rated for 75lbs and our bikes combined weigh only about 45lbs. The bikes, rack and all, fell off the car. Both bikes were damaged. Luckily no one was behind up. But it could have been worst. We were minutes from the interstate and I can't imagine what would have happened if the bike rack failed then. I wrote the company at [...] and they never even had the decency to write back. After this experience, a word to the wise: regardless of what rack you buy, please consider using an extra safety strap in case a rack fails. In our case we both have SUVs with luggage racks and we can easily tie a rope there to connect to the rack or bikes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for inside bike, August 13, 2012
This review is from: Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack (Sports)
I rode around with one bike on the outside of this rack for a long time and it worked great, especially for the money. Then I started biking with my girlfriend and discovered a severe problem with this rack. The inside bike holder is too close to the vehicle so your bike will rub, bump, and just generally destroy the back of your car. I have a nice car and now there are scratches, scrapes, and a place there the inside bike bumped up and down repeatedly, leaving huge pock marks on my bumper. Even checking carefully before I leave, the inside bike will shift and damage my car. It seriously needs that inside rack to be another 6" out. If you care about your vehicle, keep looking unless you will only be carrying a single bike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great rack for the price, November 6, 2010
Kikikins (Rancho Santa Margarita, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack (Sports)
I've owned this rack now for five months and have use it one-two times per week for my road bike. I've only carried the one bike on it thus far. For traveling with my bike around town it's perfect. It took me about 10 minutes to set it up and set the lengths the first time, and it now takes me about 30 seconds to throw on my SUV. I always wipe down the touch points on my car to ensure it doesn't have any dust or dirt, and it hasn't not left a single scratch on my car. It holds my bike very securely, but I use a tie down to keep my wheels and handlebars from moving in transit. I also put a sock over the pedals to keep them from scratching my car, but with the tie downs this is really just an unneeded precaution. The only minor concern I have with the rack is that when I'm on the freeway (traveling over 65-70 mph) the bike tends to shake a little. I think it's just the wind resitance because the bike is always just as secure when I get home and check it, but it makes me a little nervous. However, given the price of this rack, I can't really complain; also, I imagine this would happen on any rack at this speed. I'm very pleased and highly recommend this rack!

UDPATE: After using this bike for about six months, it's becoming increasingly unstable. The straps become loose during my 15-20 minute drives, no matter how they are tied or macgyver-ed to keep them stable. Also, the plastic piece that holds the bike has become loose, so my bike moves back and forth on the rack when driving. Given the low price I still have a hard time complaining, but I did get what I paid for. I'm upgrading to a nicer (and more expensive) rack, because I no longer feel confident this rack keeps my bike secure on my car.

‹ Previous | 1 2 382 | Next ›