Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it blink-182 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on March 7, 1999
I am an RN with many years experience in health care, and I find this book the best source of information on nutrition and how it relates to health. The connection between what we are taking into our bodies in the way of food, ie: preservatives, processed food, refined food, and their effects on the human body are well laid out in the book. I have taken the things I have learned here and made a major difference in my once ill daughter's life because of it. I have recommended the book to several others.
on May 31, 2004
I read this book the same time my son (who is suffering from atopic eczema) started a therapy with a naturopath. To my amazement did she the exact same things recommended by the author. And even better I knew what she was doing, because I had read the book myself. After 6 years of frustration, seeing my son suffering from eczema, countless, sleepless nights comforting my son, we finally seeing improvement. It took 4 months of drastic diet changes and 4 visits with the naturopath and my son is almost symptom free. we never got that far. Who ever is affected by allergy - indirectly (as parent or caregiver) or directly - should read this book. It is easy to read (even for me - english is not my native language) and to understand. It changes the way of thinking, of why we are getting sick and that we are responsible ourselfs for the things we put in our mouth we often call food! Good luck.
This has to be the most informative, yet easy-reading health book in existence. The author has excellent credentials and is obviously very well educated. Being sick for 23 years, this book has filled in many missing pieces to the great puzzle of my condition -- something 20-odd doctors have been absolutely no help with. If you have ANY chronic health problem or just don't feel as good as you'd like to, READ THIS BOOK! It gives you valuable information on a broad spectrum of interrelated topics and then concludes with a distinct plan of action. It kindled hope for me that I can regain my health and have a life for the first time since age 17.
on November 17, 2011
I am 52 years old. I recently bought 3 copies of this book.I gave a copy to a friend who suffers from allergies. I had bought this book for myself 3 years ago when I was getting allergy shots for dust and mold, and saw this book in the health food store. I had been on shots all my life off and on. After reading the section on dairy sensitivities and symptoms, I realized that all these years, maybe it was milk that was affecting my body. I had been a bed-wetter as a child, and this book explained how dairy causes inflammation of the bladder in sensitive children. That had been me! I went off of cow's milk and my daily symptoms almost immediately subsided. It's almost like my body just settled down. Not long after, I phoned the allergy doctors office, and told them that I no longer felt the need to get shots for dust and mold. The dust and mold had been the tip of the iceberg, but this book explained how certain foods agitate the body and precipitate allergies. I highly recommend this book if you are suffering from allergies. I still have days when I may sneeze a good part of the day (usually brought on by dampness and cold temps), but I am basically much stronger thanks to the advice in this book.
on February 27, 2006
Allergies:Disease in Disguise has changed my life. The author has written first a clear definition of what allergy is, and then given a plan of action to over come it. In the last few years, I have suffered from a widening array of allergies and was miserable much of the time while taking allergy medication. After following the authors directions for recovery for 4 weeks, I am recovering! I would recommend this book to anyone who is willing to make some perhaps significant changes in diet.
on September 22, 2010
There are very few books on health that I recommend to almost everyone with unknown health issues, but this is one of them. For me it helped explain so much of what could be going wrong within the body.

Don't be fooled by the title. Many people might see it and think, "I don't have allergies" because they do not have a runny nose or itchy eyes, but there are other types of allergies or intolerances. If you generally do not feel good, but can't pinpoint it or you really feel horrible all over and are being told that nothing is wrong with you then READ THIS BOOK. Many things that we resign to 'getting older' or things that can only be treated by prescription drugs with equally yucky side-effects (like eczema) are really food allergies or intolerances in disguise. This book explains why eating dairy or gluten or whatever if you have a sensitivity to it might be making you feel bad, why it might produce different symptoms for different people and gives you an idea of what to do about it. It also gave me hope, as the author believes you can fix these issues over time and thus to do not have to abstain for the rest of your life (although, you obviously can not just go back to your old, bad habits that got you here in the first place; balance and moderation).

Read the book and if it resonates with you and your symptoms, find a Naturopath or open-minded doctor to help you through the testing etc. You just might go from feeling blah or just okay to great!
on February 16, 2014
I'm 30 years old and I've suffered from environmental allergies for just about all of my life. When I was younger I got frequent colds and had to receive allergy shots. Around 6th grade my allergies seemed to get worse as I had less energy and more of a foggy feeling all the time, probably the effect of my sinuses being somewhat inflamed. Through high school and college I can always remember feeling tired, less than alert, and having a kind of brain fog. I always said I felt like crap and assumed it had something to do with my allergies but didn't think it could be fixed. I did all the pills and sprays with only a little temporary relief.

Over 4 years ago all this changed for the worse. I woke up one day with intense sinus drainage, pressure throughout the front of my face and head, and an inability to be alert, energetic, or even sleep. It truly felt like I had a brain tumor. Quality of life went down to zero, I could not go a waking second without thinking about my allergies, I felt that miserable. I went to the regular doctor and an ent and ended up having a surgery to fix my very deviated septum (inside nose). I still felt terrible and started the allergy shots again which provided a minimum amount of relief. Zyrtec, singulair, pataday eye drops also became daily routines to provide small levels or relief.

About a year and a half ago I picked up this book and started to research and implement some of the topics presented. The book focused on natural solutions and I went down the list one by one. Eating better made me feel better but it didn't cure the allergy problem. Research inspired by this book allowed me to accidentally meet a Homeopathic doctor (homeopathy is mentioned in the book, although I failed to initially research it) that provided me a tailored remedy to my condition. After 6 months on this remedy my allergies have definitely improved to where I can enjoy life and not think about my allergies all the time. I still have a long way to go (I still take the anti-histamines) but I have dramatically improved my condition. I would have loved to have known this 4 years ago.

Here is my lesson for you: If you have some sort of allergy problem the solution is probably in this book. Research the topics/protocols it puts forward and implement them. Consult a naturopathic or homeopathic doctor to perfect the process, often times you need outside help to fully address your issue. Keep an open mind and don't assume you don't have one of the problems listed in the book just because it seems strange. Assume nothing and research everything. This book should serve as your bedrock in your war against allergies, it's up to you to expand off of it. It's definitely a different type of medicine which is a good thing because it has the ability to do something regular medicine doesn't: FIX YOUR CONDITION as opposed to just managing it. I hope this review helps, certainly the book will.
on May 28, 2012
The book is okay, and I already live a lifestyle and with a diet like the book suggests, but still I suffer from pretty bad air-borne allergies. I am healthy overall, so I can attest to the benefits of a high vegetable lifestyle, but for that there are plenty of other books. This book is seriously lacking in references. The author often states her opinions as facts. When research is used, it is weak from low quality journals. There is no JAMA or Lancet stuff in this one.

I would love to support the author as I am a huge fan of a healthy lifestyle, but this book is not the way. For that I would stick with something like Dr. Weil or Dr. Ornish. They are much more rigorous doctors.
on December 11, 2012
If you're frustrated with your asthma or allergies, this book may be a refreshing read. It offers an alternative perspective, based on holistic medicine theories that back to the 1970s. I really appreciate having this resource, but it is also clear why so few allergists and M.D.s have embraced this kind of thinking. The author's main argument is that you might be suffering from common food allergies (especially milk or egg) that have gone undiagnosed. She presents a compelling argument for her views, including some helpful illustrations.
on July 12, 2013
precious information. last year I follow the information here and not just my eczema is under control I also heal some terrible adult acne that I could not figure how to deal with. I spend thousands with dermatologist for more than 10 year trying to control eczema, I wish I had this book way before