5.0 out of 5 stars great heater for my homemade hot tub!
Published on November 11, 2010 by Amazon Customer

Published on January 19, 2011 by Will Oberman

5.0 out of 5 stars great heater for my homemade hot tub!, November 11, 2010
This review is from: Allied Precision The Premier Line 742G Bucket Water Heater (Tools & Home Improvement)
I made a hot tub out of a 100 gallon stock tank, some insulation, and a small pool filter. The only thing missing was hot water! I tried a large aquarium heater, but it didn't get hot enough (94F). This solves the problem - it gets it as hot as you want. You have to unplug it and take it out before you get in, but it still stays hot long enough for a nice long soak. I love this thing.

Update. It raised the temp around 5 degrees an hour (plus or minus a couple - my thermometer has a duck on it). I forgot about it a couple of times and MAN was that water hot! The bucket heater lasted two winters of use, but not a third. Another review mentions this problem: now every time I plug it in it pops the outlet breaker. Even so, this is the best solution for the indoor redneck hot tub that I have found. I'm ordering another one right now (just in time for the frigid weather).

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great For The Price, February 10, 2008
Jason Baker (Goshen, IN USA) - See all my reviews
I use this for all grain beer making when the weather is too cold to use propane outside . Normally it would take around 2 hours for my wimpy stovetop to bring 7 gallons of wort to a boil , but with the aid of this baby I can do it in 45 minutes , which is a huge improvement . Haven't had any problems with scorching . The way it is designed it circulates liquid while it heats it . For the price it can't be beat !

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use, works as advertised, June 22, 2011
Damon Henry (Vancouver, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
This is the second year for my 4000 gallon (15' X 4' circle) above ground pool and we felt it did not warm up enough last year. Over the winter I looked at different ways to warm it up for this swimming season. After finding this item I decided to give it a try. I calculated the time needed to warm up the water and found that if these really do put out 1000 watts, then I could expect about a 1 degree increase in water temperature for every 10 hours of heating time. I decided to buy two. So far so good. The weather here is still lucky to hit the low 70s during the day and drops to the low 50s at night. Still between running two of these heaters directly in the pool as well as keeping a solar cover on the pool (last year we just had the solar cover) when not in use, my pool has heated from 60 to about 78 degrees in the first week.

A couple of items to note. First the instructions that come with this specifically say you should not use it in a pool :) Second, the instructions say that these should not be fully submerged, so I used a couple of noodles to provide flotation. Finally, I am running them on two separate circuits both of which are GFI protected and there is no electrical shock hazard. I can stick my hand in the pool and even touch the heating element without anything bad happening.

4.0 out of 5 stars Long soaks in the bath, April 18, 2013
It seems like everyone is using this for something different, and almost no one is using it to heat buckets! Sous Vide cooking. Baptismal warmers. Home brewing. Wet tile saw heating. I think Marshalltown needs to re-brand!

My wife is Japanese, and Japan's bath technology is so much more advanced than American technology we might as well be out in an old washtub set over a wood fire. Even the cheapest apartment has a nice big tub that you can fit your whole body in and a heater that keeps the water toasty. For her birthday this year, I assembled a few items to try to replicate a Japanese bath as much as possible.

I got this "MARSHALLTOWN Premier Line Bucket Water Heater" to use along with the Better Bath Deep Water Bath. This gives us a nice, full bath that doesn't slowly cool down into a tepid bowl of no-fun-whatsoever.

I was really nervous to use this "Bucket Water Heater" at first. All my life I have been taught not to climb into big tubs of water that have electrical appliances hanging out of them. I felt better after reading the reviews here, and realizing that products like these have been used for years without electrocuting people and farm animals the world over. It has a nice, big safety cable and I keep it connected to a surge protector just in case. We have it mounted so that just the heater is in the water, but the cable stays dry.

It works awesome. We fill the bath up with hot water (at least as hot as it will get until our apartment water heater gives out) then stick this in and let it heat up for an hour or so. The water gets really nice and hot--I like it hot enough that I am sweating sitting in the tub. I'm still nervous about hanging out in the tub with it connected, but so far so good. I take it out when the water gets hot enough, and that usually gives us enough soaking time for the hot water heater to recover and give us another blast if needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets water hot., August 29, 2011
Bonnie B (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
The heater on my hot tub broke right before a party, so I used two of these to heat the hot tub instead.

It worked great--they brought the water from room temperature up to 120 (oops!) over the course of a day (something like 8-10 hours?). We had to let it cool down a little before anyone could get in. We didn't want to leave bucket heaters in the water while people were using the hot tub for safety reasons, so once people got in, we moved the bucket heaters into 5-gallon buckets of water right next to it. That gave us a constant supply of hot (nearly boiling) water to refresh it with every half hour or so. We were easily able to maintain a ~100-104 degree range in the hot tub all night, although it did require a little bit of finessing.

Note that these draw 8.3 amps each, so you can't run two of them on a 15 amp circuit at the same time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great for boiling (homebrew), but it's not necessarily safe for this use according to the manufacturer and hard to clean, August 21, 2012
P. Tepper (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Like some other reviewers, I got because I wanted to supplement the heat from my apartment's gas stove for homebrewing beer, but I didn't want to wire up my own DIY heat stick. I wanted to do a full boil (5-6 gallons) and combined heat from my burner and this got it up to boiling pretty quickly. This alone would not heat the water to boiling, but combined with the stove burners, it works pretty well. Doesn't give a powerful rolling boil with 5-6 gal, but you will see it bubbling vigorously around the element

After a couple batches I heard that this might not be safe to use with drinking water, so I emailed the company and thought I would share what they said. The heater is actually made by Allied Precision Industries in Illinois, not Marshalltown, who just resells it. The sales/service rep from Allied said wrote back quickly and was very friendly. He said, "It is not approved for heating drinking water. While the solder that we use is RoHS compliant, thus containing no lead, there has been no testing to determine compliance for use with potable water. Also, the units are manufactured in an industrial environment as opposed to a clean room, therefore, we do not condone their use for heating water for human consumption... It is probably not dangerous but not necessarily safe either. I do not know what sort of chemicals are used in process the metal parts."

In addition to this, unless you remove the steel guard, it's basically impossible to clean properly. I noticed some stuff stuck onto it after my last use and gave it a long soak in hot oxiclean. I noticed there was some space in the crack where the screen is attached to itself and decided to break the welds/soldering points with a screwdriver. Inside I found lots of gunk from grain and wort that was not being cleaned by soaking in oxiclean - the standard way of cleaning homebrew equipment. So if I used it again, I would have been adding all that gunk into my beer.

I don't think I will use it again for brewing. I know that electric heating elements are very popular for brewing, and this model in particular is used a lot Camco 02963 5500W 240V Screw in Water Heater Lime Life Ripple Element - Ultra Low Wat Density. But I don't know what the risks really are in using this bucket heater for the same purpose. If there's anyone out there who knows how to test this 742G for safety with potable water, I'd be very interested to hear their results!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful! Just what I was looking for! :), January 9, 2011
I had to have my gas turned off for the winter because of my finances. Since I didn't have hot water any more I needed hot water to just bathe and wash my hair. So I bought this bucket water heater and it works great! I highly recommend it! I use it in a five gallon bucket and it's been wonderful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for heating water in a bucket (shocking, I know), but so-so for sous vide, January 19, 2011
Will Oberman (Pittsburgh, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this bucket water heater to hook up to the auber sous vide cooking controller. As a water heater, it's great. But, for sous vide, I'd find an alternate option. The big problem is you have to have fairly deep water for the unit to function. The instructions want 8 inches of water, and anything less than 6 inches can cause the unit to turn off. Plus, it's a lot bigger than I expected. I think I'm going to use the other commenter's recommendation and get the electra heater, which has the heating coil at the bottom (and I wish I read his review more closely before purchasing this unit).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for aquaponics, December 17, 2012
Bought this bucket heater for my 500 gallon Tilapia pond, keeps the water at 82 degrees in the pond and my grow beds around 72 degrees. Ordered another bucket heater for a friends aquaponics system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heats my hot tub!, November 2, 2011
The heating element in my spa-in-a-b**-with-a-cheapo-heater decided to stop heating yet the pump and blower remain strong. I just needed a way to heat the water. This does the job. I have it on a timer and I'm figuring out how many hours "on" equals my desired temperature of between 100 to 104 degrees Fahrenheit. We'll see but it looks like about 50% on will do the trick. So far so good but I'm still waiting for the first electric bill to see if this raises or lowers my heating costs. Hopefully it will be about the same. And the outer screen is only warm to the touch so I don't think it will melt my liner. And yes, I unplug it when I'm in the hot tub, then plug it back in after I'm done. Beats buying a new $500 heater/pump unit.

Allied Precision The Premier Line 742G Bucket Water Heater