5.0 out of 5 stars Saving time saves money too!
Published on November 5, 2003 by M. Nelson

1.0 out of 5 stars Not reliable at all
I always try to find the best in products, but for this one that's going to be hard.

Published on May 6, 2009 by David Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving time saves money too!, November 5, 2003
M. Nelson "cornetman2000" (Grand Forks, ND United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alltrade 150003 Auto-Loading Squeeze Utility Knife (Tools & Home Improvement)
I've used a lot of utility knives, but this one takes the cake! The downfall to most knives on the market is the speed of the blade change. This one is incredibly easy - and fast! Not only does the blade extend as soon as you sqeeze the handle, but it retracts just as quickly with the push of a button. My biggest reason for liking it though, is that I don't have to open it up in order to get to the next blade once the first one is worn out. Just squeeze the handle again, and out pops the next blade. I'm back up and working in less than 5 seconds! For the money, I expected something with this many features to be cheaply made, but I had to give it a try. This thing is solid! In my opinion, this knife is far and away the best knife on the market when you consider the features, quality and price. Nice job Alltrade!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon should give these away (maybe they are)., May 3, 2006
My primary use for this device is cutting and flattening all of those boxes I receive from Amazon. Frustrated with the Exacto knives my wife gave me for this purpose (I'd misplace them, or the blade would break off with even moderate pressure, or I'd cut myself), I started taking our kitchen knives to the boxes--until my wife caught me. So here I am with this auto-loading, squeeze-handled gizmo that in some respects feels like overkill for cutting through cardboard and tape, but it sure is effective. In addition, it's hazard-free, hard to lose, and even fun to use (now I know how Clint Eastwood must feel with a .45 in his hand).

Though it wasn't free, Amazon made my day by discounting the item by sixty-five percent. As for a couple of previous reviewers' complaints about the difficulty of closing the blade, simply squeeze the handle slightly, thereby taking some pressure off of the spring, before hitting the close button. (You wouldn't want a hair-trigger mechanism or the blade would be unstable.) If you have a thumb and 4 fingers, it's a simple and quick, one-handed maneuver.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Tank of a Utility Knife, February 25, 2004
"45mouton" (Arlington, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a well-made utility knife. The auto-loading squeeze handle snaps the blade out firmly, and the release button retracts the blade into the knife housing. The knife is well-constructed and should stand up to daily abuse. The easily-accessed spare blades compartment is also a plus. There are however two shortcomings - (1) the knife is quite heavy, so if you use the knife a lot it will fatique your hand and arm quicker than other utility knives, and (2) the blade only snaps out all the way, you cannot release the blade just a little bit at all, it is all or nothing at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not reliable at all, May 6, 2009
David Fox (Syosset, NY USA) - See all my reviews

I guess the idea is good. The squeeze for blade, and the internal storage of multiple blades. But this knife just didn't last for me. I used this knife for ONE thing: cutting the tape on boxes to fold them up. After about the first 3 weeks of use, the first problem occurred. When hitting the button to retract the blade, it would remain out a little bit even after pressing it. This wasn't a huge problem because you could just pull the handle out which would bring the blade the rest of the way in. Then, a few weeks later, the blade release just stopped working. So to change the blade I had to remove it through the storage section rather than just use the blade release button to pop it out. Then, about 4 months after all this, it just stopped working alltogether. The blades won't come out any more when the handle is squeezed, and it just seems like the mechanism gave out.

In conclusion, it seemed like a great box cutter while it lasted, but it just didn't last. At all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Utility Knife!, January 18, 2006
I was looking for a good utility knife after my plain stainless steel one was "breaking" - when pressing hard, the blad would get pushed back into the handle...making it quite useless for certain projects.

I was torn between this knife and the Stanley 10-799. Both looked to be good and had good reviews. I finally chose this one over the Stanley because the Stanley has a fixed blade - the blade doesn't retract and is always out - hard to store safely. After careful thought, I figured that was enough of a danger to eliminate the Stanley from the runnings. This one was cheaper as well, so that's an added bonus.

When I got this knife, I was surprised at how large it is. It's about 17cm long, 4.5cm tall, 2cm thick (6.5" x 2" x 0.9") - this is my estimation from measuring with a ruler, measuring the largest points. These dimensions are a bit different than what's listed on the Amazon product description. The knife feels good and sturdy, well made, and comfortable in my hand. It comes with 6 blades already in the Blade Storage Compartment. It is recommended that you only use Heavy Duty 0.024"/0.60mm thick replacement blades. It comes all ready to go, which is awesome...and it's even easy to get it out of packaging!

Basically, just pop it out of the packaging and squeeze the handle. The black squeeze lever is at the bottom of the handle - squeeze that in and 1 blade automatically pops out. You cannot adjust the amount that the blade comes out, it's either out or in. To retract the blade, you push the black button on the left side by your thumb. This button is a little hard for me to push with my right thumb alone, but it's easy enough...and a guy might not have any problems with that button. To remove a dull blade completely, just extend the blade, then push the Yellow button and the blade gets completely released.

It's also got a lifetime warranty on it. I'm really liking this utility knife. I tried it out and pressed really hard on the blade downwards, and the blade stayed in place, so it's definitely replacing my other utility knife for those cutting needs.

I would definitely recommend this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Knife!, January 27, 2004
After loosing my Stanley utility knife, I found this while surfing around Amazon and decided to give it a shot since the price was reasonable. What a great knife! Compared to the Stanley, it is much more solid and larger, fitting perfectly in my hand. The blade is easily extended by squeezing the grip and retracts in a snap using a button on the side of the knife. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product. Great design., March 17, 2004
Andre Schwartz (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This heck of a tool is an incredible time saver for drywall installation. I can have a fresh blade with a click of a button. The knife is also hefty in your hand and very comfortable to hold. There are no annoying and unsafe release buttons on top to push the blade back when you are really pushing on the knife to deeply score drywall. I would give it six stars if it was Made, IN the USA instead of Taiwan. But it seems to be a quality tool nonetheless.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissatisfied, April 22, 2009
I was a bit skeptical upon buying this, because of the spring loaded button that retracts the blade...and at first i thought the knife was great. however, i am a carpenter, and i use this very frequently every day, and have been for 3 weeks, and its already starting to not retract the blade fully when pressing this little button. it seems it is not very durable, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Utility Knife Ever, January 4, 2004
I am 100% pleased with this tool! Nice, solid feel, functions perfectly and easy to replace or reverse blades. Great gift. Amazon is usually a price leader, but this is available elsewhere for less, even considering sales tax. I won't say where, as I'm a loyal Amazoner, but stroll your local home center and you may get a surprise

5.0 out of 5 stars Alltrade Squeeze Utility Knife, September 9, 2005
This item is superb!!! For any of those utility knife jobs around the house this one makes it a breeze to handle. Convenient one hand operation. Blades easy to replace and since they store on the item no having to look around for the replacements. Love this item so I ordered some for some friends

Alltrade 150003 Auto-Loading Squeeze Utility Knife