5.0 out of 5 stars Best Alternative to Milk

3.0 out of 5 stars ****BE WARNED****
Published on July 4, 2007 by Travis Stone

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Alternative to Milk, May 6, 2007
This review is from: Almond Breeze, Unsweetened, Original, 32 oz. (Grocery)
If you are lactose intolerant or just find that cow's milk puts you off, Almond Breeze is a great alternative. For me, soy milk and rice milk taste too much like chalk and they often have a higher number of grams of carbs per serving. Almond Breeze tastes great! I put it on cereal and it makes an outstanding base for smoothies - just add frozen fruit and blend. I prefer the unsweetened version, although vanilla and chocolate are also good if you like sweeter beverages.

3.0 out of 5 stars ****BE WARNED****, July 4, 2007
Travis Stone (Pasadena, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Almond Breeze, Unsweetened, Original, 32 oz. (Grocery)
Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond milk is available in three flavors: Original, Vanilla and Chocolate. All of the flavors taste GREAT!! But be warned.. THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS SOY LECITHIN. Its right on the label listed in the ingredients. If you are trying to avoid soy entirely, or just soy lecithin in particular, then this product is not for you. I suggest purchasing a juicer and making some fresh almond milk on your own with only almonds and water. Although the initial cost of the juicer would be expensive, purchasing a juicer is a much healthier (and versatile and -in the long run- a cheaper) alternative to buying these almond milk-packs.

If you're not opposed to soy, here is some great news: Unlike cow milk, these packs can sit in your pantry for a year without refrigeration and not spoil. Our local HEB sells Almond Breeze packs at $3 for two. Great in cereal, smoothies and alone.

What did I do? I purchased the Jack La Lane Power Juicer Elite ($120 or more) and started making my own fresh almond milk... soy-free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great..., July 10, 2006
This review is from: Almond Breeze, Unsweetened, Original, 32 oz. (Grocery)
Another great alternative to soy milk is plain almond milk, without the vanilla. The vanilla flavor tastes great, but this one is pure almond, and very very nice. Try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Low-cal, high fiber, GREAT TASTING Almond Breeze smoothies!, October 23, 2009
Doodle (Colorado USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Almond Breeze, Unsweetened, Original, 32 oz. (Grocery)
Almond Breeze Unsweetened is a great alternative to soy and cow's milk. It's higher in fat than skim milk, but much lower in calories - only 40 calories in a full cup - so it's great for weight loss. I really like the taste. It's better than soy and goes great with cereal.

My favorite way of enjoying it is in a smoothie. The recipe I've concocted for smoothies using Almond Breeze Unsweetened is very low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Vitamin D and Calcium, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber and Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol). The recipe below can be used with just about any fruit.

FRUIT SMOOTHIE BASE RECEPIE (235 calories)

1 cup Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original or Vanilla
2 tablespoons Coffee-mate sugar-free French Vanilla coffee creamer (makes smoothie nice and creamy)
1/2 small banana (6" to 6-7/8" long)
1/4 cup General Mills Fiber One Cereal (Original), (over 23% of your daily fiber and only 30 calories!)
1 tablespoon Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed meal (high in fiber and 1200 mg of Omega-3!)
No-cal sweetener to taste

Combine ingredients and blend thoroughly. (The Tribest Personal Blender PB200 Super Convenience Pack is great for blending smoothies. You blend and drink from the same container, so everyone can have their own favorite flavor. You can get extra containers, lids, and other replacement parts. The Super Convenience Pack also has an attachment so you can even blend right in a mason jar, which you can then store in your freezer.)

Add 1/2 cup of your choice of fresh or frozen fruit and blend. Then add ice, a few cubes at a time, until you get your desired consistency and coldness.

Try using blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, nectarines, peaches, mangos, and even more banana - all taste great with this recipe. You can also try pineapple and coconut extract for a "pina colada" smoothie. Use 1/2 a medium, cooked sweet potato or yam, and add a bit of pumpkin pie spice for a pumpkin pie taste. If you like, you can add a little orange juice to any fruit flavor to get your vitamin C.

Add powdered cocoa, with or without malt powder, for a "milkshake". Combine powdered cocoa and instant coffee granules for a frosty mocha drink.

You and your family will enjoy Almond Breeze smoothies as a healthy breakfast, meal, or snack. The Fiber One cereal makes this a very filling, sustaining meal. I've been drinking these smoothies for breakfast and one other meal a day, and I've been steadily losing weight. Even after adding fruit, most smoothies will be only around 300 calories! I have a terrible sweet tooth, but I no longer "surf" my refrigerator and cupboards endlessly, desperately looking for something, ANYTHING, sweet - the fruit smoothies more than satisfy that desire so I don't even get between-meal cravings anymore. I grocery shop after a smoothie breakfast and now have no trouble with temptation in the candy, cookie, and bakery aisles.

You can also hide a few veggies in a fruit smoothie and your kids will never be the wiser! Cauliflower, being white, can be snuck into any flavor. Carrots hide nicely in the pumpkin pie smoothie. If you like veggies, just skip the banana, creamer, and sweetener and mix veggies to your heart's delight. (Veggies ARE good for your heart!)

Almond Breeze - pour, blend, and enjoy! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for diabetics, September 20, 2009
This review is from: Almond Breeze, Unsweetened, Original, 32 oz. (Grocery)
I recently learned that I am diabetic, so I was very happy to find Almond Breeze. I like the original unsweetened. Have not tried the vanilla or chocolate because I prefer something more like milk. It's creamy and rich, and has a mild nutty taste that goes well with cereal. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to switch from milk for either preference or health reasons. I hope that Amazon will soon offer it and make it available with Amazon Prime.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best alternative to milk that I've found, March 20, 2009
breeze (Auburn, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Almond Breeze, Unsweetened, Original, 32 oz. (Grocery)
I am lactose intolerant and have never really liked the taste of soy milk. Since I discovered unsweetened Almond Breeze (or unsweetened with vanilla), I am eating cereal again! My mom is diabetic and this product is also very low in carbs. I introduced her to Almond Breeze and she loves it on cereal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, February 22, 2012
Good texture and taste.

I don't like when almond milk is too thick - and I find this one just right. Also the chocolate one is great!

Good price point

1.0 out of 5 stars Ingredients and Cancer, August 24, 2011
This review is from: Almond Breeze, Unsweetened, Original, 32 oz. (Grocery)
i like the taste but it contains Carrageenan which is linked to cancer tumor growth. Trader Joes and whole foods have an Almond milk that does not contain Carrageenan so why take the chance.
here is a link to one of the many websites that explain.
[....]
If you have time it is easy to make almond milk which had tumor inhibiting factors (only if you soak the almonds) .