4.0 out of 5 stars Ogle this, my friend

3.0 out of 5 stars Not The Typical Teen Horror Film
Published on August 28, 2011 by Read A Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Ogle this, my friend, August 21, 2011
This review is from: Almost Invisible (DVD)
A couple of nifty aspects to this film sets it above the standard teens-get-slaughtered horror fare: the abundance of female nudity (and bikini-wear) and the special effects. And in fact, the film opts more for surrealism than gore, which is a nice change. The story has a bunch of young people gathering at a house for an end-of-summer bash. One by one they fall victim to bizarre hallucinations, then actual violence. Is the house haunted or is the weird goth hostess messing with their (admittedly puny) minds using her super goth-powers in revenge for their juvenile cruelty? I'm not telling, but the answer's a solid double, if not a home-run. Along the way, some very seriously scary and creepy stuff happens. Favorite line: "Sex is everything." Second favorite line: "This party's getting a little out of hand." Third favorite line: "Dude, there's some crazy s--- going on in here."

3.0 out of 5 stars Not The Typical Teen Horror Film, August 28, 2011
This review is from: Almost Invisible (DVD)
This movie reminded me a bit of Scream and Carrie...and a mixed bag of other teen-party-gone-enormously-wrong films. This low budget movie has everything in it, from the social outcast and popular kids, to naked girls and a creepy house holding them hostage. At the center of all the screaming and mayhem is the strained romance between two of the characters. I really would have liked to have seen more of this. Maybe there will be an Almost Invisible 2. Throughout the movie you wonder what the heck happens to some of these kids. Are they dead, alive, hiding, or what? It all makes sense in the end. There was enough gore and plot twists to keep me well entertained.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Shortcomings Of This Micro Indie Film Are Too Visible--A Lack Of Coherent Plotting Cuts The Party Short, March 23, 2011
This review is from: Almost Invisible (DVD)
I really like to champion underground film making, and there aren't many labels that embrace the rogue film maker like Chemical Burn Entertainment. Having released the sublimely effective "The Defiled" (a film that any lover of true indie cinema should seek out immediately), I have discovered that the company's other releases are a decidedly mixed bag. "Almost Invisible," an extremely low budget effort filmed on video, had the potential to be a solid genre entry into the terrorized teen category (okay, they're probably in their twenties, but that doesn't sound as good)--however, the lack of a comprehensible plot is the film's complete undoing. It's as if an outline of the film were developed, but the screenplay was an afterthought to everything else in this endeavor. And when the story seems to have nowhere to go, the camera crew goes gonzo on weird angles, the editors cut randomly, and the effects wizards throw every devise on their computer at the screen images. The film's look is so haphazard, it really begins to be headache inducing--but all these technical decisions don't support the story, they are used to distract the viewer from the lack of narrative sense.

"Almost Invisible" begins at a local community college where everyone in the picture takes one supremely idiotic class together. All the buddies and babes want to have a killer party, and so they accept the offer of a weird Goth chick to use her house. April (Sara Cole) has a creepy vibe, but a party is a party. None of the characters is distinguished in the slightest, but this random and rowdy bunch is not a particularly savory cross section of American youth. The film has no narrative flow and suffers major continuity issues, but a wild and destructive gathering is approximated in the film's melange of random shots. Things start to get unpleasant as killings may or may not be happening and the house traps the remaining kids inside. Their efforts to escape and get rescued are laughably inane. At one point, there are friends outside and they tell them to "try and find a way in" and not "go get help." I don't think the screenplay ever really decides what is happening inside the house and several options seem to be available--it's increasingly perplexing when characters are killed, but they show up again perfectly fine.

Through the mayhem, Cole relishes her chance to slither around. The singular point of interest is her relationship with Sammy Navarro (the only actor I actually wanted to look up). Navarro has a believable befuddled charm and his scenes with Cole are the film's most intriguing moments. A doomed romance of misfits--oh, how I wish someone had taken more of an effort with this plot. I'd like to say--hey this was a micro budget affair and be forgiving to the movie's shortcomings. But I'm not criticizing cheap effects, bad locales, or ineffectual actors--the party ends here on an undeveloped screenplay and story. And if you attempt a movie, these should be key prerequisites. About 1 1/2 stars--I'm rounding up for Cole and Navarro only and thinking about the movie I wanted to see. KGHarris, 3/11.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yep,They are Cute & Dead..., April 25, 2011
This review is from: Almost Invisible (DVD)
This film is kind of scary !
You might try to write it off as a direct to dvd release with no budget,But WAIT .
So its a wild party at `the girl who nobody likes' house.
There is alot of pretty people doing bad things and the haunted house may take exception to their subversive ways.
Effects seem to be all computer originated,But very welcome sights.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst of the worst, January 7, 2014
This review is from: Almost Invisible (DVD)
I'm not prone to superlatives--check my other reviews if you doubt it--but this is the worst move that I've ever seen, and I feel ripped off by other reviewers who have suggested that it even is watchable, much less a positive entertainment experience.

I watched an hour of it in standard time before I simply had had enough and started fast forwarding. Anybody who watches this thing start to finish without doing that deserves a freaking medal. The script must have been written by an 11th-grade emo girl. I never actually even figured out the storyline; I felt no more recognition for the characters, setting, plot or themes by the end that I had before I put this piece of crap into the DVD player.

Therefore it would be pretty pointless for me to summarize this movie; best I can tell it's got something to do with an emaciated goth girl and her (actually very upper-middle-class) house, and a party, and a lot of weird stuff, and that's about all that I can tell you. Oh, I also can tell you that there isn't nearly as much nudity in this as some would have you believe. In fact there are only two true nude scenes and even one of them is ruined with FX and dumb cropping.

That's a natural lead-in for the criticism of this movie's production values. The audio is as bad as anything I've ever experienced in a newly-produced film. The whole thing had to have been shot with one on-board microphone; part of the reason why I never could figure out what was going on is because I couldn't HEAR THE LINES. And the director must have gotten a Johnny Editor Do-It-Yourself Home Kit for Christmas that year or something--there was so many nonsense technical effects like running scenes in reverse, or in slow-motion, or making the characters simply instantly not be there in one scene then reappear later in another part of the frame. Even had the audio been of significant volume, it was so muddled up with garbage like reverb and other stupid effects that I doubt that anybody could interpret it correctly anyway; to top it off, the score blasts you away with death metal. What a wonderful experience.

I'm not sure what else I need to say to keep you away from this one. I'll never be fooled by this production company again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shane, June 5, 2013
This review is from: Almost Invisible (DVD)
Teen hijinx gone terribly wrong...a house party gets very entertaining when the house itself turns on the (often naked) teens. Lots of gore, lots of screams. The stuff dreams are made of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Horror and more!, May 12, 2013
This review is from: Almost Invisible (DVD)
Naked chicks, blood, gore, an evil house, a house party...all the elements of a horror classic are in this film. This is sure to become a cult classic. It has re-watch value, too...I could watch it over again, and again...it's just a fun ride. Get your friends, some popcorn, turn out the lights, and revel in the horror of a teenage house party.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun ride, April 19, 2011
This review is from: Almost Invisible (DVD)
I thought this film was a great addition to my library, being a collector of slasher films, This was great and a must for my collection, i wanna watch it again loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun thriller!, June 4, 2011
This review is from: Almost Invisible (DVD)
I loved the concept!! I am a sucker for good gory thriller's and I would definitely recommend this one. It was a lot of fun!!

Almost Invisible
Almost Invisible by David Allingham (DVD - 2011)
$19.95 $12.99