5.0 out of 5 stars Hurry up and finish writing the next one
Published 20 months ago by Tom Long

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but...
This is an interesting novel, and there is a plot in there somewhere, but there is an overload of back story and background color, with forays into the history and geography of Hawaii. Some people might want the side information, but people who live there, or have visited frequently, or are otherwise familiar with the details, don't need all the replay. It does fill in...
Published 2 months ago by Fred Camfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurry up and finish writing the next one, March 11, 2013
For Travis McGee fans, the choice of reading this book is a no-brainer. Memminger is an award winning humorist whose columns I always enjoyed. This is his first in a series of riffs on John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee character. In the first few chapters, the pace seemed a bit herky-jerky. By the time one gets about a third of the way into it, it becomes hard to put it down. Be prepared to lose some sleep trying to find out what's going to happen next. Given my love of sea turtles I wasn't real thrilled with the protagonist popping a beer cap at a passing sea turtle. However, the two dogs more than make up for that. Kane and Lono are Memminger's homage to Zeus and Apollo from the Magnum P.I. series - just named after more culturally appropriate god. In the vein of Corcoran, White, and Cunningham, Memminger is a powerful new player in this genre. Charley, you just might be my new favorite author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, February 18, 2013
Not many authors are able to set a book in Hawaii and have it feel natural. Charley Memminger does an impressive job of writing a book that is fun to read, has a story that is relevant to current issues in Hawaii, and accomplishes this with a smile. I enjoyed the entire book, and hope there are many more to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars hawaii--hello!, February 15, 2013
i loved the hawaiian lore in this book. i have to confess that i never knew much much about the heady blend of cultures in our fiftieth state, both indigenous and imported, and the purchase they have on the psyches of hawaiians. what an exotic place! after reading ALOHA, LADY BLUE, i'm eager to visit, and not just for the beaches.
thank you, Charles Memminger, for this rollicking and fascinating read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hawaii mysteries are my favorite, March 4, 2013
Occasionally I browse Amazon to find new Hawaiian mysteries....Sometimes I am lucky in finding a truly engrossing and Hawaiian feeling book. This is one of those times....I am hoping this author is already working on his second novel. And as soon as he referred to his two dogs as 'the gods" I knew I was going to love him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aloha means welcome to Stryker McBride!, February 5, 2013
Susan J (Honolulu, USA) - See all my reviews
Aloha, Lady Blue I have been a long-time fan of John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee novels, so this was a real treat - flavored like a McGee, but with distinctly Hawaiian overtones. Memminger has a sure grip on both plot and character; you can sense the backstories of the subsidiary characters and sidekicks. Memminger hits the sweet spot that many writers miss - presenting people who act and talk as though the live in Hawaii, and are not someone's generic island cartoon buffoons. More Aunty Kealoha and Tiny Maunakea, please!

The plot lines were both ripped from the headlines and from some of Hawaii's shameful past; no mean feat to have them both resolved in the satisfying present. This story wrapped up well, with some poignancy and no loose ends, and it just whetted my appetite for the next one. Great read! Hey, Charley (gotta love an author cool enough to use the name "Charley," not "Charles" or "Chuck")! When's the next one coming out?

4.0 out of 5 stars A good debut., October 5, 2013
I enjoyed this book. I had a couple of problems with it but nothing too serious. It tended to bog down in spots and it is too long, a sin committed by too many crime writers these days. But that aside, I have read crime books by so-called "name" writers that aren't as good as this one.
The writer strikes the right balance between serious dialogue, some insight, and some wit. He reminds me a lot of crime writers from the past. I had no problem with his references to past writers, books, etc. I don't think it was over done and it didn't get in the way of the narrative and that's the important thing. I look forward to his next book. He needs to tighten it up and move it along a bit more in his next work but I think he'll do okay. One last thing that bothered me a little. He has chosen to follow a trend with his character that I don't like. That is; his character has won a large lawsuit in the past and that is how he lives. Too many characters in modern crime writing are living off the proceeds of lawsuits or pensioned off because they were injured in some way on some "dangerous assignment" or whatever. This device is just too convenient and intellectually lazy for me. As I recall, McGee had to work for his money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Setting, October 25, 2013
I was thoroughly entertained by Charley Memminger's mystery novel, Aloha Lady Blue. Any reader who's enjoyed John D. MacDonald's novels should read this book. While neither a homage nor strict imitation, this novel is in the spirit of MacDonald, and Memminger makes that even clearer when we learn the name of the houseboat on which protagonist Stryker McBride lives: the Travis McGee. The setting in Hawaii comes alive through Memminger's descriptive language. If you're looking for something to read on the flight from the mainland to Hawaii, you can't do better than this novel.

Rating: Four-star (I like it)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good PI Book - Aloha Style, May 10, 2013
Overall the plot was decent and the characters were enterntaining. However, to truly enjoy it you have to be a Hawaii resident or visit here frequently. Overall I thought it was a great/quick read and hope to see more from this author in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Love love this book, April 21, 2013
Thankfully, someone has taken up the similar writing of John D. MacDonald. The story was fun and the reading was easy... but it was a good book and I look truly forward to another one very soon. I hope that Mr. Charley Memminger writes one real quick. Anyone a fan of John D. needs to read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great First Novel, April 8, 2013
S. McClure "Kukana" (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I love the humerous style to his writing and the story line was interesting and flowed well. I loved the dogs, too, and I hope he keeps them in future novels. I had read in an article that there will be more books coming and I'm anxiously awaiting them. Lots of good Hawaiian atmosphere which is important to me.

Aloha, Lady Blue