Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

on October 9, 2011
From the beginning this book was a pleasant surprise. So many vampire novels of late focus upon the sexual drive and sensual nature of the vampires that at times I feel I'm reading nothing but one long drawn out romance novella or story that could be wrapped up in a matter of minutes instead of hours. The predictability of the story disappoints me and I would put the book down and move on to find something else. HOWEVER! I was pleased and very happy with Alone: Vampires and the life of Erin Rose. So much so that from the moment I started reading last night I did not put the book down till I had finished today. Minus the few hours of sleep I actually got.

Compelling and calling for one to keep turning the pages you get to see the life of Erin Rose or what she remembers what she goes through of love and loss as well as friends and her made up family before all of this. She is a marvelous young woman that you root for every time to over come what her life has put before her. All her struggles that culminate in the ultimate decision you would have never seen of her but find yourself shouting out HELL YA! and throwing your arm up in victory for her. I am so eager for the next installation of this series of books that I want to beg the author to allow me to read over his shoulder as he types just so I know what happens next. I am usually very patient but this one.. thank you is all I can say thank you for renewing my faith in a good vampire story.
on November 6, 2011
This is a hard book to review because I know it's going to look like I'm tearing it to pieces, but I only do that with books I read that I feel have a lot of good/a lot of potential. Alone is definitely one of those books. I love stories that involve amnesia and having to investigate to find out ones identity. I also like Perlow's choice to separate out the vampires and giving them a 'who is the real bad guy?' war between them.

That being said, Alone doesn't quite make it as a favourite for a few reasons.

After the first chapter, the reader jumps two years into the future. I didn't understand the jump or even the purpose of the jump. At no point did I feel it was necessary to the plot to have that jump.

I think the matter of Erin's amnesia could have been handled better. Admittedly, in this day and age, amnesia like hers is hard to handle - especially when you want to keep the reader in the dark - but it continued to bother me throughout the book.

For example, she has a license, a lease on an apartment and a bank account - all of which you need a good amount of identifying documentation to get. If all of that had been set up for her, documents forged, officials bought off... Anything like that could have worked for the story, but those things simply weren't addressed and it didn't work at all for me. Even more so after the two year jump when she had more than enough time to find these things out.

Erin herself was a cold character. She seemed to be more vampire than the vampires with little emotions and little response to pain - even her fingers being broken. Little touches could have gone a long way to making Erin seem more human.

Yet, even with those things, I kept reading. I got sucked into the mystery and wanted to keep going. In that, Perlow did very well.
on August 15, 2013
This book managed to suck me in even while the strong Christian slant was very off putting to me. I also was happy that it seemed to be edited well, but I felt the characters lacked any depth of emotion. Erin states over & over how Kristi is her best friend, and she dates Todd for months, even moving in with him, but I never saw any emotion to really back that up. Everything felt very clinical...to the point that it didn't seem so much like fiction but more a research paper with dialogue. The story flow seemed choppy and disjointed, and at times I struggled to make sense of things while other times I found myself frustrated with how little sense some of the more fleshed out bits of the story made. I finished the book to see where it went, but I cannot say I will be buying more in the series.

I have to add more to this review. I was a little over halfway through when I first wrote my review, thinking I would not finish the book. I have since decided that I will finish it, no matter how much it makes me roll my eyes or how much I struggle with it. As of now, I am 75% in and I cannot believe how ridiculous this story is and how utterly stupid and naive the main character is. I realize that the character is missing all but the last 2 years or so of her life, but for her to be this completely clueless is painful to read. I won't go into detail, but suffice to say that for someone that is supposedly intelligent, she is moron. I am astounded at how many high star reviews this book received - I wasn't when I first started reading, the story line seemed interesting to me, if choppy. But as it has unfolded, I have become more & more disgusted with it and cannot wait to see the end of it.
on October 11, 2011
One of the things I liked most about this book, was that by writing Erin Rose as a character with no memory of her life before she woke in that apartment, Steve Perlow was able to bring a strange new world to life by letting the reader discover it right along with her. Unlike some books, where it seems like the writer wastes a lot of time explaining the backstory, in Alone (Vampires and the Life of Erin Rose) the character needs to learn everything right along with the reader, so it's got a very natural feel.

Although some may think that Erin was too stupid for words, to walk into some of the situations she did, I'm not sure I would have done much differently, if like her, I did not have the memory of all my life experiences to guide me.

In Erin's world, not only are vampires real, but they are divided into 2 camps & are at war. The real blood drinkers, Sanguans, vs. the synthetic blood drinkers, Spectavi. The government has sided with the Spectavi & passed laws to try to protect the human population from the Sanguans. As Erin struggles to discover her past, she encounters members of both groups & has to learn for herself who to trust.

Alone is rich with possibilities & I for one am eager to see where Steve takes us in his next novel.
on December 19, 2015
Erin's quest to find out who she was takes her between two warring vampire factions. One supposedly good the other dark. She's a bit to trusting but courageous. She just begins to move forward with her life and is pulled back into the mysterious story of her possible past. The storyline is uniquely different than most in this genre, captivating in its story telling.
on June 26, 2014
I don't really know what to say. I could say this book was awful, but that would insult the word awful! This book was boring, the main character was a complete moron, and the story line made no sense. I got the book for free, and am so glad I didn't waste money on this! The only reason it got one star was because I couldn't submit this otherwise.
Alone, Vampires and the Life of Erin Rose by Steve Perlow
Filed under: Uncategorized by klred -- Leave a comment
October 26, 2011

A girl wakes up in a strange apartment in a strange town with no memory, not even who she is. The driver's license with her picture says her name is Erin Rose. Also, there is a vampire bite on her neck. Strange enough for you yet? It gets better.

The character of Erin Rose is unbelievably simple. She gets a job and searches for clues about her past. She has a friend and eventually a boyfriend. You only find out about what Erin is feeling as the book goes on. The mood stays at dark and mysterious, slow and quiet throughout the entire story. Steve Perlow is excellent at describing a scene and making it real in your mind without being obvious. And yet I wanted to know more about Erin. I wanted to know what she was feeling when she awoke with no memory, how lonely she was with no friends and family.

The book held my interest by not providing me with enough details. I wanted to know more. Eventually, in the last couple of chapters I did find out enough enough about Erin to make the book worth while. While I was satisfied with the ending and am looking forward to reading the next book, I do hope for more action, more plot twists, and more information about Erin Rose - where she came from and who she was.

I received this book for free in the Epub format as a part of the Library Thing giveaway.
on August 4, 2014
I've just finished reading "Alone", the first book in the Erin Rose saga. And I was thoroughly impressed by the author's concise yet entertaining narrative. Just when I thought that vampires have been done to death, Mr. Perlow's story has breathed new life into the genre.

I found his heroine, Erin Rose to be refreshingly original. She's a compelling character that I immediately identified and empathized with. Her persistent inquisitiveness, her courage in the face of great peril and undying loyalty are all traits that make her someone you can root for. Erin is no damsel-in-distress, that's for sure.

Her jaunt into the this fascinating world where ancient factions of vampires continue to wage a war that has gone on for centuries has certainly enthralled me. And I can't wait to immerse myself further in her story as I continue to read the other books in this intriguing series.

If you're searching for a new twist in vampire lore, then look no further. I highly recommend this book.
on December 10, 2013
This book will change the way to think while you are reading it. May cause vampire thoughts in everyday people like you and me. Really enjoyed it and made me think like a dark hearted vampire. Cliff hanger endings that will leave you ordering the next book straight after you finish. So maybe order the second one straight away as well.
on September 14, 2013
I enjoyed this book. I read it quickly and I may buy the next one. I got this one free, but the main character is interesting and likable. She does have love interests, but vampires in this book are more scary and evil and people are their food. They sleep in coffins. They don't go out in the day. I would like to know what happens next.