1,749 Reviews
 (1,191)

Customer Video Review     Length:: 4:14 Mins
I just received this Alpatronix AX400 wireless bluetooth speaker with hands-free capability and am quite impressed.

Published 18 months ago by M. Erb

1.0 out of 5 stars Sounds like a dog whistle is buried in there...
I received this speaker as a Christmas present one week ago. It's a cool little speaker, looks attractive and is easy to use.

Published 11 months ago by Robert Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully designed bluetooth speaker that sounds really great for its size, June 21, 2013
Length:: 4:14 Mins

Alpatronix has created an attractive, functional and great sounding speaker. It is easy to operate, has great battery life and charges relatively quickly (2-3 hours) via a microUSB port on the back of the speaker. Included in the package is the charging cable and a 3.5mm male to male AUX in cable.

Operation is simple. There is but one actual switch on the back of the speaker to turn it on or off. Otherwise everything else is controlled by a very cool, but hard to see in bright light, backlit top panel. You can control volume, select next or previous tracks, play/pause and answer or end phone calls all from the top, touch panel. It's pretty cool and looks great in room light. But outside it's difficult to see.

Regarding the hands-free aspect of the speaker, it's not truly hands-free because you can not initiate a phone call from the speaker. But you can answer and end calls using the touch panel so that's cool. Incoming sound was very good and the built-in microphone made outgoing calls sound OK, but not fantastic.

I think the sound is excellent. Not only does it sound good, it produces a satisfying loudness level too.

This is certainly one of the more attractive and thoughtfully designed bluetooth speakers that I've listened to and for the price, represents a good value. The sound is very good and I'd recommend this in a heartbeat.

Alpatronix provided me with a complimentary speaker for testing and review. I have provided a fair and honest review. Please let me know if you have any questions by leaving a comment and I'll do my best to answer it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sounds like a dog whistle is buried in there..., January 1, 2014

However, whenever it is connected to my iPhone it emits a high-pitched dog whistle-like squeal. Very high in pitch, but constant, whether its playing music or not. The squeal is very annoying, because once you have heard it you always hear it. I cannot enjoy listening to music on this device because the squeal distracts me. If I turn the volume WAY up I can no longer hear the squeal, but I don't want to use this only on the highest volume. Not very compatible with an office environment.

I sent an email to Alpatronix's customer service earlier this week and have not received a response after 72 hours. Don't know anything about this company, would like to return this for another one to see if mine is defective or if the squeal is a by-product of the Bluetooth connection. Would like to rate better than one star, but I can't listen to this speaker.

******UPDATE******
1/10/2014
Following the Christmas break I was contacted by Alpatronix and they were very concerned with my dissatisfaction. They shipped out a new unit with return postage paid for the old one. Very courteous to do with and very prompt. The new unit sounds better and I should get many hours of enjoyable use out of it.

Four Stars,
Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars At this price, it's a gift!, August 2, 2012
I am a true audiophile. But I also have a bit of a portable speaker fetish. I have a Tivoli iSongBook, a couple of Altec Lansing Inmotions, a Soundmatters FoxL, a Homedics JAM, and the larger Alpatronix X-tra Strong Bluetooth Portable Mini Capsule Speaker. When Alpatronix came out with this little speaker I had to check it out.

In general, the bigger, heavier and more expensive these speakers are, the better the sound quality. That said, this speaker is amazing. It is loud, clear and pleasing. It never seems to overload and distort. There is surprisingly good bass, and everything is balanced and clear. If you place the speaker in a corner, the room really plays well, and you can't believe it's coming from a speaker that fits comfortably in your pocket, or in a small pouch on a bicycle.

It's also loaded with features. There's a captive mini headphone cable stored in the base, another mini headphone cable attached to the mini usb charging cable, and a mini headphone jack. All three ports can be used as inputs or outputs, making it easy to string up multiple speakers. With the right connections, you can even have stereo and that sounds great. How about connecting a sub to it? Now you've got a ridiculously small and inexpensive way to have serious sound for music or movies.

The unit also has a conventional analog volume control, a carrying pouch and a loop for a strap. Very convenient.

Bottom line:
It's tiny. It weighs practically nothing. It costs practically nothing. It's amazingly versatile. It's adorable. It has tremendous battery life. AND it sounds fantastic. What's not to like?

5.0 out of 5 stars Skeptical at first but ended up being a great buy!, November 17, 2011
I wanted a portable Bluetooth speaker that I could use with my iPhone. I looked online and searched Amazon and it seems that there are not too many options for a portable Bluetooth speaker. I found a couple but they were too expensive or they had bad ratings. I came across this speaker and I figured at $49.99 it's worth a shot. I received the speaker a week ago and it is exactly what I was looking for. The sound is surprisingly loud for a small speaker and you don't sacrifice quality for loudness. It can easily fill up a room and all my friends were pretty impressed. Another cool feature I realized is that I can pair this speaker up with my phone using Bluetooth and use it as speaker phone (the speaker has a built in mic). Also, it comes with a carrying pouch and cables to both charge and to connect the device to any device using a 3.5mm input. Overall, I am very impressed with the speaker, the quality is great and the build is solid. I am thinking of buying a couple of these as Christmas gifts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very durable Bluetooth Speaker and practical!, August 22, 2012
Update 6/19/14:
Well it's been almost 2 years since I purchased this compact bluetooth speaker.. It has been used for only one purpose: Mounted in a beverage foam cooler that and installed in my bicycle's water bottle rack. Used almost every day.

My initial assessment was thankfully off the mark.. this speaker is VERY durable.. It's been through 4000 miles of rain and bumps... It's been launched from my bike onto the macadam at 20 mph, TWICE.. The second time it happened did something to the internal BT antenna, so the range is now only 10 feet... Time to order another one!

All my other comments still hold. Upgrading to 4 stars.

###########################################################

Have to compliment the design of this very small speaker; it is smaller than a tennis ball in its closed configuration.

And for its size it produces a reasonable amount of sound of OK quality. I keep it in soda can foam cooler to direct the sound more effectively.

Battery life is at least 8 hours which is better than my iPhone

Don't know why people are complaining about the mic; it converts speech to text just fine at a distance of at least 5 feet...

Bluetooth range works as advertised, like 20 feet.

What I don't like:

The volume resets every time you reconnect. You have to hold the toggle switch for several seconds for the volume control to respond.

Due to its cutesy design it will vibrate and migrate across any smooth surface so you have to contain that.

Any sort of bass will render a completely distorted sound.

The all in one toggle switch is just a failure waiting to happen.

The bellows looks about as durable as a sandwich bag.

Conclusion:

If you recognize that this cool looking portable speaker is just not a very durable design and is probably just a 6 month fling, then have some fun with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little speaker, July 9, 2013
Length:: 2:09 Mins

In this video, we hear the Alpatronix AX400 and compare its sound to the Supertooth DISCO and Berringer Truth studio monitors. If you listen carefully, you will know what you give up with this smaller speaker, and what you get to keep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peerless Speakers, April 18, 2013
I have been seeing so many mixed reviews for different products that I decided to buy a few, try them out, and decide for myself which one I'm going to keep. So I ended up buying the 4 speakers that have high ratings:
Accessorise (tm) Portable Bluetooth Wireless Mini Speaker System,
Alpatronix AX300 X-tra Strong Bluetooth Portable Mini Capsule Speaker,
DBEST London Duo Bluetooth Rechargeable Mini-Speaker Set (PS4003BT-RB),
HMDX Audio HX-P230GY JAM Classic Bluetooth Wireless Speaker,
and X-Mini KAI XAM11-B Bluetooth Capsule Speaker.

Having tested them, I thought I would post my review here in the hopes that it would clear out doubts for others. Here are the results of my testing. In each category, I have ranked them 1-5, with 1 being my favorite, and 5 being the least favorite:

Design:
#1: I have to say Alpatronix speakers claim the spot hands down! Right out of the box, my son was about to steal it from me. He ended up doing so anyway, but I managed to keep him away from it until I finished testing the speaker. The speaker is sleek with rubberized finish and a chrome sleeve on the top and the sides. It's also the most portable onewithout compromising sound quality. The packaging is also very classy (for gifting), and is fun just to open. Kinda like apple products! It looks very sophisticated indeed.
#2 spot goes to HMDX JAM. I have to say I wasn't that crazy about the shape of the actual speaker which is just a cylinder, but the box is like a jam jar, which I thought was cool for children. The speaker is much bigger than the other ones and doesn't fit comfortably in the pocket of my jeans. It's also VERY heavy considering the size, so you'll feel it in your pocket if you are finally able to fit it in.
#3 spot goes to DBEST. It looks like the Alpatronix without the chrome, and also looks like X-Mini KAI. It's not very portable because it has 2 speakers so I can't fit it into my pocket. Even my wife who normally carries a big purse wants to have the smallest possible option, which is definitely not this one.
#4 spot goes to X-Mini KAI. Again, it looks and functions like the Alpatronix, but without the chrome band. Other than that, it looks like a black blob... nothing special. The packaging doesn't look bad. Hard plastic packaging dressed with thin cardboard dressing.
#5 spot goes to Accessories. This looked really cool in pictures but actually the plastic looks cheap. Size is very small, similar to Alpatronix, and KAI but doesn't expand. The packaging is thin flexible plastic and looks cheapish. I don't recommend it for a gift.

Sound:
I tested the speakers with different types of music: Pop, rock, hiphop, house, and classical. Also I charged all the speakers fully before testing.
#1: HMDX JAM. The sound is louder in this speaker. This must be due to the bigger size, which means a bigger and wider speaker in the device. However, I didn't like the bass level relative to the volume level, and the weight and size are a big negative.
#2: Alpatronix. In expanded form, it has a very nice sound and covers both high and low ends really well, with a very nicely developed sound. When I first played it, I thought it was weak until I read the user manual which indicated the speaker turns on at mid volume and that you can increase it to full volume with the little knob that controls most of the functions. Can't believe this little thing makes such big sound!
#3: DBEST. The sound on this speaker is ok. Considering there's 2 speakers, I just expected more! Considering the negatives mentioned in the design, I didn't bother testing it for too long as I was sadly disappointed with the first couple songs I played.
#4: X-Mini KAI. This one just sounds weak. Being about the size and shape of the Alpatronix and DBEST, I was expecting it to perform about the same, but the sound is just really weak even at full volume. It has a nicely developed sound but it just doesn't get loud.
#5: Accessories. The sound is as loud as the HMDX JAM. But the positives stop here. It just covers the highs, and nothing of the lows. No bass at all, and screeching at full blast!

Conclusion:
#1: Alpatronix AX300 was the most well-rounded speaker, meeting everything the manufacturer claims. It's portable, VERY nice sound, great packaging, and good price!
#2: HMDX JAM has good sound, but not very portable. Don't like the shape, weight, or size. The packaging looks cool if you are into jam jars, but I purchased it for portability and sound. It met the sound qualification, but definitely not the other criteria.
#3: DBEST. Like #2, but the sound is not as good. That's why this one receives #3.
#4: X-Mini KAI. I would avoid it if possible. Weak sound, but nice portability.
#5: Accessories. I would not spend money on this. Bad sound, cheap look, and cheap packaging. Like a singer who sings beyond their voice range. No bass at all and screaming!

Good luck with your purchase! I have to go get me another Alpatronix AX300 now that my son has the first one :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Ehhhh ? . . ., June 23, 2012
BilyColorado (Miracle Mile, CA) - See all my reviews
First off, the actual Brand Name and model number of the item I received is;
" SONPRE, C 7BR ", [something to Google], solely distributed by Alpatronix.
[I don't know why they can't give us this info up front - must be some trademark or legal thing.]

Secondly, a special award must be given to the box, [ages 5 and up]. I have never seen anything like it. Some engineer must have had great fun designing it.

Now as to the mini-capsule itself, Ehhhh?

Sound is O K but not loud by any means, and the teeny little 1-toggle-switch-for-all is awful. Try to volume up or down in music you're likely to change tracks, and on a call you'll probably hang up. No worries. On the one I got the only way you could hear my voice through the pin-hole microphone was if I got within one foot of the device. Conference call? Better have a really small table to crowd around.

It seems most of these devices are always finding a way to make the speakers and battery life better, yet they all still go to the Ten-Cent-Microphone store. [Even the much acclaimed Monster iClarityHD had a cheap mic, or so a friend commented when I called him on it.]

Somebody give Sennheiser or Sure a call and find out how to make a good microphone. A pin-hole might work fine when it's 6 inches away from your mouth but not at 4 feet.
There is a reason good microphones have distinctive shapes and many holes.

Thus my search continues for a good Bluetooth Speaker Phone that puts "Phone" first and "Boombox" second.

U P D A T E: Here's a option you may not have seen - but ultimately this is the unit I liked and stuck with.Stereo Bluetooth Speaker with 9 Watt Max Power - Android, iPhone, iPad Compatible It's worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surpassed my expectations!, November 17, 2012
Was looking for an inexpensive bluetooth speaker and didn't really expect much when I ordered the Alpatronix X-tra Strong, given the low price. When it came, I was surprised at how small it was. When I hooked it up, I was REALLY surprised at how good it sounds. It comes with a little sack for the speaker. I put the speaker in the sack and ran my belt through the pull string and can walk around the house carrying the sound with me. The range is also very good. Really an ingenious design that is well worth the money. Make sure to read the instructions and expand the speaker as shown in the instructions - this improves the sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Things Do Come In Small Packages!, September 2, 2012
"It's either a speaker or a bomb. It's a bomb-speaker!"

This was the reaction from a colleague after I plugged in the tiny Alpatronix AX100 Capsule Speaker.

After the rechargeable battery finally died on my Tivoli iPal radio/speaker, I've been on the hunt for a portable, less expensive replacement, and I found it!

I like to plug my iPod into a speaker so I can listen to music or podcasts while doing mundane chores around the house. I also like to watch baseball on my iPhone, but find that that the phone's speaker never seems to be loud enough. Enter the AX100. I couldn't be happier with it.

With just a twist, it pops up and is ready to play. Just unscrew for sound. It's shocking how something so small can produce sounds so good. For the price, I expected the sound to be tinny, but it's quite full. I've actually had to turn down the volume because it can get too loud. It also has a convenient 1/8 plug cleverly hidden in the bottom of the speaker. Furthermore, the AX100 comes with an all-in-one extended 1/8 plug and USB and mini-USB combo cord.

Its convenient size makes it very portable. I keep it in the small pocket of my backpack. My only complaint is that it comes with a cinch bag for protection; a zippered pod like the kind that Shure uses to protect its headphones would be ideal.

I highly recommend the AX100 and I'm actually considering purchasing a couple for gifts.

Good things do come in small packages!