Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Price:$123.98 - $146.48

on September 25, 2003
First, a note of caution. If you're a casual hiker, this book will not be beneficial. This is geared more for the elite hiker or climber. However, if you're in this league, the book is informative, instructive and accurate, Gerry Roach writes well and gives the hiker all the essential information needed to make the trek. I live outside of Colorado and only visit for a few weeks each year, specifically to climb 13-ers and 14-ers. Being unfamiliar with the Colorado roads and most of their trailheads, I necessarily rely on this guide to get me to the trailhead with no hassle and accurate driving directions. Roach has never disappointed me. He gives exhaustive directions and includes a map for each trek. If you need a four-wheel drive vehicle to get to your destination, he will let you know. If you have a drive on a dirt road for 6 miles to reach the trailhead, that information will be included.
He also describes the trail conditions, whether it's rocky, has scree, is exposed and has a ranking system for how difficult the hike is. If there is scrambling involved or permanent snow fields, he lets you know. If it's a class 3 hike but listed in other guides as class 4, Roach makes the correction and explains why he feels this way.
There are separate chapters on the unique and often volatile weather in the Colorado peaks. This is imperative for out-of-state hikers who aren't familiar with the frequent, violent afternoon thunderstorms in the Rockies. When I did Pike's Peak for the first time, I photocopied Roach's chapter on this mountain and took it with me in my pack, and was glad I did. When the thunderstorms began, I descended ASAP, following his advice. This is an outstanding hiking guide. I wouldn't hike in the 13-ers in Colorado without it and neither should you. Enjoy!
on November 21, 2001
This is the best book I have seen on Colorado 13ers. It lists at least 2 routes per mountain with a few exeptions. He tells the difficulty of each route and from that I can know if that mountain or route suits me. There are lots of coler pictures of the mountains and topo maps of each mountain showing the route up each peak. The routes are coler coded so you can see what class the routes are. It also gives a unofficial name to many of the unnamed peaks. The back of the book has 3 lists of all mounttains in colorado above 13,000 feet which also includes every point that reaches above 14,000 feet. This book with a 14er guide will tell you how to climb colorado's centenials.
on February 5, 2002
Colorado's Thirteeners: From Hikes To Climbs is a superbly presented, full-color guidebook to Colorado's highest mountains in the 13,800 to 13,999 feet range. Presented for the edification of outdoor enthusiasts, Colorado's Thirteeners includes 59 major peaks in six of Colorado's mountain ranges (Front Range, Tenmile-Mosquito Range, Sawatch Range, Sangre de Cristo Range, Elk Range, San Juan Range); 202 routes to the major peaks (71 routes on 71 additional peaks); 96 trailheads with detailed driving directions; twenty-two different approaches to the remote peaks; distance, elevation gain, difficulty scale, and effort ratings for each route; thirty-three full-color, annotated topographic maps; more than sixty full-color, annotated photographs; and three comprehensive tables of Colorado's highest peaks. If you are planning an outdoor vacation of hiking, climbing, and camping in the mountain country of Colorado, begin your planning with Gerry and Jennifer Roach's Colorado's Thirteeners!
on August 12, 2005
This book is the authoritative, indispensable guide for climbing the "centennial thirteeners" in Colorado. That is, those of the 100 highest peaks which aren't quite fourteeners. Gerry Roach has written several excellent guide books, including Colorado's Fourteeners, which is still the standard guide books on that subject. I believe this book is his best work. 59 major peaks are covered, with multiple routes, distances, elevation gain, level of difficulty, and detailed route descriptions. What more could you ask for? Beautiful color plates and annotated topo maps? They're in there also.

The appendix is also valuable as it includes three lists of all 800 or so Colorado summits over 13,000'. The lists are organized by elevation, quadrangle, and alphabetically. The lists identify parent peaks, rise, and other data.

Printed on high quality, slick paper, the book wears well. I refer to it frequently and so far I have found all the information contained in it to be accurate.
on July 24, 2016
It's too bad the book is out of print and rather expensive to purchase, however, it's worth the money if you are wanting to climb Colorado's high Thirteeners. The descriptions are detailed and with the maps included, makes it easy to understand the various routes. Very well organized.
on January 31, 2013
Gerry Roach is a god send to any one going to hike in Colorado I live in the North East and want to do the 14ers in Colrado. I have Jerrys other books and map packs it made my hikes so possible Thank you
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2009
Everybody wants to Climb a Colorado Fourteener but a Colorado Thirteener is just as spectacular, the views are just as good or even better on the Thirteeners I have been on top of. This is a must for anybody wanting to explore the Colorado High Country.
on January 3, 2015
I've done a number of climbs described in this book. High 13ers are often much more interesting than 14ers, largely because they don't get all the traffic of the 14ers.
on March 17, 2011
You always hear about the fourteeners of Colorado. I had no clue there were so many thirteeners! Very informative. Looking forward to using this often.
on June 28, 2002
While filled with approach and route info, this book is less than I'd hoped for or expected. The maps are printed at such a small scale that you almost need a magnifying glass to read them, I found the route numbering system and many of the extremely detailed route descriptions confusing even on climbs I'd already done (does anyone really have a sense of what 0.1 mi is?), and few of the photos are really of much help - better captions would certainly help. Many of the routes I'd expected to see described weren't mentioned at all even though the book is pretty hefty, partly because of a lot of duplication of material. I've found the accuracy of the driving distances to various waypoints to vary considerably - sometimes they're right on, other times they're long by up to 10%. And I think they've misclassified several of the climbs, though partly this is due to a confusion over whether they're using the Colorado standard for 3rd and 4th Class climbs or the California standard.
I could also say I found the closing essay on guide books in general both puzzling and annoying. The authors write as if their's is the first book (or webpage) in this area ever revealed to the world when it's not; the essay only highlights the fact that they ignore all who have gone before.
The book is not a total waste of money, but I'll probably stick with my 1st ed Garratt & Martin and/or Rosebrough (for the San Juans) as my primary sources even if they're not the most up-to-date books out there. Perhaps a later edition will be better than this 3 - 3 1/2 star effort.