on May 24, 2012
I am a frequent traveler and have liked Tumi in the past. Even this bag is actually well made but it has a huge design flaw.
The expansion catch is a large button on the inside of the bag, when you push the button the bag expands. So when you pack the bag and zip it shut the slight pressure of your clothes on this button pops the bag open. It's crazy that some luggage engineer designed this and their testers let it go into production. I sent it back but Tumi said it worked fine and wouldn't even exchange it. So I used heavy duty duct tape to tape the button in place and secure the latch..... Not what you would expect to need for an expensive high end bag.

I had an older model of this bag that used a simple and secure zipper method to control the expansion feature. That worked great, they should have kept the simpler more proven design.

So if you buy this bag just get some duct tape to hold it closed. And don't expect any help from Tumi.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on October 16, 2012
The interior latch mechanism to expand the bag is simply awful design. It pops open if someone nearby sneezes and is annoying beyond words. I have warned several friends to stay away from Tumi until someone there pulls their head out and changes this design (they should also offer some sort of replacement for the latch so current owners can repair their expensive bags that have the design quality of a Walmart special. Sadly, I have 5 Tumi bag with this defective design and every time I travel, it stresses me pointlessly. No more Tumi.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again