5.0 out of 5 stars Great pack
This pack is handy....
I bought this pack a few months ago and really didn't have the time to try it out...until last week.
Published on September 7, 2009 by Nicholas G Stevens

3.0 out of 5 stars Tall but not very deep or tough
Published on April 15, 2009 by Zaphos

3.0 out of 5 stars Tall but not very deep or tough, April 15, 2009
Zaphos (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I used this backpack for the Sierra Club Wilderness Basics Course and I was pleased with the height but the pack is very narrow. I really struggled to get a sleeping bag and a tent in it without breaking a seam/ zipper. Also, the upper side pockets are almost useless when the pack is loaded up. The top of the pockets are flush with the side of the pack so they really can't expand out as you put things into them. The lower side "bottle holders" are also kind of tiny. My final problem with this pack was the cheap plastic buckles. I broke three of them during the course of the class (Two shoulder buckles and one on the bottom of the pack. I was able to tie off the straps and continue but having equipment hold together while you are out in the desert is extremely important. Overall the pack was usable and the other features are great but it needs some girth, better plastic, and better pockets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pack, September 7, 2009
Nicholas G Stevens "nick" (Catlettsburg, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This pack is handy....
Two of my buddies and I decided to go on a four day back-country hike in the Red River Gorge. I had been on a few of these before but nothing as long and as rugged as this one, and for four days the 7,000 cubic inch space came in quite handy.

I was able to fit: two pairs of pants, two pairs of shorts, a pair of swimming trunks, a hooded sweat shirt, a pair of shoes, a first aid kit, 4 pairs of socks, 3 t-shirts, a flashlight, three 1.5 liter water bottles, two rolls of toilet paper, a two person tent and a .45 handgun in the main compartment. On the upper compartment: toothbrush, deodorant, flint striker and fire starters. Lower compartment I used for food such as canned tuna, beef jerky, soups, ect....
Strapped to the lower half was a thick sleeping pad and a thick sleeping bag. The two side compartments each easily held 1.5 liter bottles snuggly strapped in.

In all it weighed in at around 90 lbs. Which is where the comfort of this pack comes in. Sure it was heavy but it fit great, had well balance and pretty good shoulder padding. With the chest strap and the padded waist strap it made a very heavy haul as easy as it could be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Hiking backpack for its price!, January 8, 2009
I was planning to go camping in Yosemite for the weekend and needed to shop for a backpack after I found out my old mainstay had a big hole in the rough-hide leather bottom. Many thanks to Fluffy for that... Anyway, I wanted something quick and cheap when I came across these bags. Holy cow, this camping backpack is a bargain. It is HUGE and has got all the trappings of a fully spec-ed out camping backpack. There are more than enough compartments, straps, and buckles to hold just about any standard gear you'd care to take and it looks I could have catered a New year's bash in this bag. The shoulder, hip, and belt straps are all nicely padded and adjustable. I don't know much about the material and stuff but it came back from my trip in one piece and now I have a real backpack for my next trip. Definitely recommend it for its price.

2.0 out of 5 stars 7000 cu inch blue alpine trekking etc backpack, February 18, 2009
hello

i have been using this pack for a few weeks
the materials, like the circular ball closingsand blue string, used for tighttening up the top pack are cheapely made, as well as the straps... if you put this up againt a north face, jansport or lowe pack for starters, it does not hold a candle. the ergonimic needs for good hiking are lacking in this the design of this pack
one problem is the hip buckle adjustment is not adjustable on the spot, as it is cheaply made. 90 percent of the bodies weight comes onto the hips in movement and a well designed hip pad is imperative. also the 7,000 cu inch measurement statement is including all openings, which is misleading. the basic top to bottom opening does not shore up to even nearly that
in my view this kind of advertising is deplorable
yes, it was an inexpensive pack, but this is no excuse for bad
design.

sincerely
nick consoletti

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavy, Uncomfortable, Cheap, March 28, 2011
I'd like to say something good about this pack. Ok, I liked the price and the colors. I have taken this pack out on 4 trips and logged about 20+ miles. The pack does not balance well on my frame (180 lbs 6'0"). It feels like it's going to pull me backwards any time I have more than 30 lbs in the pack. And, those lovely plastic strap binders - as soon as I get them adjusted, they slip loose in less than 10 steps. I tried tying them in knots on one trip. On another I walked the last 3 miles pulling down on both straps as I walked. Really, don't waste your money on this. Save a little more and buy a nice Baltoro or Osprey pack. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good pack but.. could be a great pack with few changes, February 9, 2011
Erik R. Jacobsson (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This pack will do the job of lugging a lot of gear... but it isn't 7000 CI. I can fit my 2 person tent, 4.5 liters of water, enough food for 3 days, 2 days of clean clothing, my glock 19 handgun, stove, sleeping bag and pad. That being said if they would reinforce the cheap plastic buckles and design the side pockets to expand larger this could be a great bag on a budget! It isn't that comfortable but for under $70 buxs compared to over $300 for an Osprey I can deal with that. I have a 3 day trip and 2 day trip on Mt.Baldy and Ice House Saddle Trail on this pack as long as the cheap plastic buckles hold up I am happy with my purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not 7000 inchest, August 29, 2010
I bought this pack back when they first hit Ebay when it arrived I thought that it looked as it did in the pictures its sturdy enough and I didn't lose anything on it including shipping I believe it cost about $39.99 and that was about 5 years ago.
But looks and sturdy do not make up for the lack of space this pack is more in the range of 5000Ci max.
I know this as a fact as I have a pack that is over 7000Ci (Lowe Alpine contour classic)and this pack comes no where near the space my Lowe Alpine has.
The oversize zipper has come off track and does absolutely nothing for compression of your load,even carrying the lightest clothing you would carry for a backpacking trip you would be left with no room for food.
If you don't plan to change your socks or eat for three or four days this pack is right up your alley otherwise well you would be as well off looking into a high peak 90 litter or something else in a higher price range.
I have no problem really with the quality of the pack its self the plastic pull tabs on the zippers come apart but you can always tie a knot in the string thats on them but space is an issue for me so I've stuck with my Lowe Alpine and gave this pack away.

1.0 out of 5 stars 7000 Cubic Inch Green Alpine Trekking/ Hiking/ Climbing/ Camping..., February 10, 2013
This review is from: 7000 Cubic Inch Alpine Trekking/ Hiking/ Climbing/ Camping Backpack (Apparel)
Poor Design, zippers, seams and the rest...

This is useful for carring groceries, but I have to resow it and change the zippers if it is ever going to last

3.0 out of 5 stars you get what you pay for, September 14, 2009
Definitely a useful pack if you're not lugging too much weight or going too far. There's plenty of room, though accessing it is slightly annoying. It doesn't allow for some adjustments that other packs do - like moving the shoulder straps up and down in relation to the pack.
Overall, durability is the main concern. The buckle that adjusts the top of the pack broke after about five minutes on the trail, and I had to tie it in place. The rest of the buckles don't hold their straps in place if there's any stress on them. Also, the strap that pulls the shoulder straps together across the chest doesn't tighten very effectively, so I had to rig that too.
For serious and frequent backpacking, it would be better in the long run to spend the money on a higher-quality pack. But for lightweight, occasional trips, this will do fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. No , what I meant was WOW, May 10, 2014
I love this pack. Let me preface this by saying I'm not a hardcore camper or hiker, just a weekend enthusiast and a volunteer with my kids scout troop, so I camp 1-2 times a month. Also, I'm a big guy and I camp for comfort which means I carry a lot. I'm 6-0, 275 and this pack is perfect for my needs. It has plenty of room for everything I carry, which includes a 3 man tent I strap to one side, a 3 inch air pad I strap to the other and a sleeping bag and air pillow. That doesn't even touch on what goes IN the pack. The inside is roomy, both compartments top and bottom. I carry an XL sleeping bag which won't fit in the sleeping bag compartment but a regular size one will no problem. Lots of pockets and spot for a water bladder. Also, the adjustable shoulder harness that lets you move the pack up and down on your back is a great feature. It expands a lot and you can compress with the clips or the paracord. If you're scaling a mountain or weight of a pack is a critical feature, this one's a bit heavy. But if you're using it for medium to light duty, you'll be happy with it.

Rate and Discover Movies