Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Fall Denim Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Cayucas The Next Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all furious7 furious7 furious7  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage Assassin's Creed Syndicate Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

on August 27, 2012
Simply put, this book was one of the best reads I've had in a while. The phrase, "I couldn't put it down" has lost its significance due to over use, but I'll say that I couldn't wait to get into bed at night and get my Baeli fix before falling asleep.

This book was a blessing and a curse. -A blessing because it was so satisfying, but a curse because I was sad for it to end. So...I read it once, went back and read "Armchair Detective" again and then read it again. It is a sequel to "Armchair Detective, but it could be read as a stand-alone. I would recommend reading "Armchair Detective" because the character development in that first book really helps cement the reader's understanding of Jobeth and Phoebe's remarkable relationship.

The book is written in both the first person and the objective third person. Baeli moves deftly between the two conventions. Jobeth's (and everyone for that matter) sense of humor is both smart and funny and she is a charming lead character. The author writes wonderful dialog that is keen, witty and original.

*****Spoiler-Sort Of*****
With the introduction of Jobeth's sister and the character development of Jobeth and Phoebe's friend Ginger, the book enlarges the world from "Armchair Detective" without losing the author's sharp musings and rich atmosphere.

Izzy's drive west to find her sister is rather haunting and it really works by showing her determination (which almost borders on desperation) to grasp her fate and veer it into a new, positive direction.

Izzy and her sleep disorder provided one of the most shocking moments that proved not to be what it seemed. I was really pissed off at Baeli for about 20 pages.

Jobeth's desolation after losing Phoebe is heart wrenching. I felt wounded for her! I was literally trying to convince Jobeth not to give up, as if I could change the narrative of the book with my mental willpower.

As for the plot - it is riveting! I knew all along that something was off with Phoebe's character throughout the middle of the book, but I had no idea what a wild ride the author had in store. One of the best things about the book is Baeil's commitment to the ending. So many authors build up tension in their novels only to resolve everything in a matter of 15 pages. This is so frustrating and just plain lazy in my opinion. The last 15% of the book is wrought with tension and I was surprised and captivated the whole time.

I could go on, but suffice it to say - this is a fantastic book!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 16, 2014
I read this on the transit back and forth to work and it went fast. I like the characters and their relationship to each other, although I found the development of the new relationship between Izzy and Ginger a little pat. It didn't feel real to me, even though I know couples with large age differences between them. The story definitely kept my attention throughout, especially towards the end when the women were in some trouble. I'm looking forward to the sequel.
on June 14, 2014
I really liked the second installment in the AKA Investigations Series. Phoebe and Jobeth are two people I would love to hang out with. I also liked meeting and learning more about Ginger and Izzy is a kick. I am looking forward to the rest of the books in the series and hope there will be more in the future.
on May 10, 2014
A treat to read. It was touching; suspenseful; joyful; and most of all, hilarious. There is no one character I like more than another (except the 'evil' people; and they got there's. hehehe). Thank you, Kelli Jae Baeli, for such endearing entertainment.
on November 1, 2012
Jobeth O'Brien and her partner, Phoebe McMasters, are enjoying a peaceful life together on Manor Lane in Colorado after moving from Oklahoma. Jobeth has her P.I License and has her own agency, AKA Investigations. Their new start together is suddenly interrupted by ghosts from the past.

First of all, Jobeth's estranged sister Izzy turns up out of the blue. At first Jobeth and Izzy don't appear to get on too well together. But as they get to know one another, that changes. Izzy turns out to be more like Jobeth than either of them thought.

Phoebe's past comes back to haunt her. In fact, it causes heartbreak for both Phoebe and Jobeth in a big way.

Ginger, Jobeth and Phoebe's detective friend, has moved to Colorado with them and occupies the cottage behind their house. Ginger is looking for love. Will she find it? Ginger and Izzy appear to get on well together. But Izzy is a lot younger than Ginger and she's not into relationships. Will Ginger get her heart broken?

It will take the ingenuity of all four of these women to get rid of the ghosts from the past. But will they be able to keep themselves alive to outwit the deranged felons?

Even though the plot to this story stretched my imagination a bit, I actually thoroughly enjoyed the story.

I loved Jobeth, Phoebe and Ginger from Armchair Detective and to have them back again is a true pleasure. Izzy has joined the three other women and her character has fit right in with the others. They all interact so well together and play an essential part in furthering the story.

I don't want to add any spoilers in here, but suffice it say that the story is a rollercoaster ride of twists and turns throughout. There are so many ups and downs, the book is a real page turner from start to finish.

There is a mixture of humor, gut wrenching terror and emotional heartbreak amongst the action and romance. If anything, this story is even better than the first one. Both books are standalone, but I would strongly advise reading Armchair Detective first. It gives more of the characters background. Plus you would be missing out on another good book if you don't.

I'm hoping there will be another in this series soon.
on February 17, 2015
Just when you think you have it figured out - WRONG. This is a fast paced adventure with introduction of some wonderful new characters and some not to wonderful characters. Very much worth the read
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Well written - one plot was predictable - so simply solved if Jbo would LISTEN. I'm looking forward to the next installment.
on March 10, 2014
So I didn't like the fact that we had to deal with 3/4 of the book in the dark about what's going on. That stuff needs to happen faster than that. Didn't like that at all.