4.0 out of 5 stars A LOT OF BANG FOR THE BUCK!
Published on April 30, 2002 by James E Madison

2.0 out of 5 stars I never believed my roommate got this set
I had a chance to test this set along with Yamaha YST-M201 in store, imo, I prefer Yamaha (Y), because the overall audio Y is very good, deep with no boomy bass, and my happy past experience I had with Y 3-pieces set
on the other side, when I test this set, I don't believe this is Altec Lansing!!! what the hell happened???! mid and treble are okay, the problem is...
Published on August 24, 2003 by matt.mingkee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A LOT OF BANG FOR THE BUCK!, April 30, 2002
James E Madison (Palm Springs, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Altec Lansing AVS300 2.1 Computer Speakers (3-Speaker, White) (Personal Computers)
The AVS300 speaker system is, I think, a remarkable buy! The sound is crisp and clean with ample bass reproduction. It is very simple to set up. Once installed, take them through the paces with a program like "Windows Media Player" or "Winamp" where you can make use of a graphic equalizer. I found these speakers performed well through the entire range of sound. Perhaps they lack the power you may be seeking but taking into account these are COMPUTER (not stereo) speakers, they perform really quite well! When you rate performance compared to cost, I doubt you can beat the AVS300's!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound Systems Watch Out, December 26, 2001
macman (Virginia Beach, VA) - See all my reviews
I receive the Altec Lansing AVS300 as a Christmas gift. I plug it in and WOW. I thought it must have cost at least a hundred dollars. Because that's the way the speakers sounded. But to my surprise after looking them up on the internet. A cost of only 39.95 retail. If you need sound and you're not a professional buy these speakers and you won't be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific sound for the price, February 13, 2002
Michael Young (Pennsauken, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
I had been considering getting a small boom box for my office. I don't listen to CDs that often, so I didn't want to spend a lot. I couldn't find anything that I really liked, or that wouldn't take up a lot of desk space.
I started looking at getting a decent set of computer speakers. Browsing through [...many] selection, I found these speakers, which had gotten some very strong reviews. For $30, I figured it was a small risk.
I'm thoroughly satisfied with the purchase. I'm no hardcore audiophile, but I appreciate good sound. They provide a nice full range, even at low volume. Since I'm working in an office, I don't need to crank the volume for a party, but these still provide plenty of power if I want a louder sound after hours. For the average user who's not looking to spend much, you can't beat the AVS300.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great set of speakers, May 1, 2002
I got these speakers to improve the sound on my Powerbook for use with iTunes. It has been a great bargain. Good stereo resolution, adjustable bass, uses the stereo jack so you're not tying up an extra USB, doesn't hum while off (big pet peeve of mine with some speakers). Sound can fill the room, works well with a variety of music. The price just can't be beat. I mean, this wouldn't be my living room speaker set, but it's not designed to be, and for one-room listening it's been great. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good speakers at a low price, September 16, 2003
I am an audiophile with limited funds, so I have to figure out how to get good sound for a low price. When I finally realized good computer audio is within my price range, I decided to throw out my 2 HP/Polkaudio speakers, and find some good speakers, and especially a sub to make the most out of my games and music. Well, at the time, I only had twenty bucks to spend. So I went all over town looking for a decent 2.1 system in my price range. Well low and behold Sams is having a special on Altec Lansing's 2.1 system for half it's normal price. So knowing Altec Lansing's reputation, I grabbed them. Well trust me, they are great. With a decent sound card, they are crisp, clean, and have the sub has pleanty of bass for a 5.25 driver with only 10 watts. They go pretty loud before destortion kicks in, but at loud volumes and high bass audio, the sub quiets, and then reloudens when the bass tones down. That's probably the worse thing about this system. As far as tone controls, I think all sound card software, and windows has built in equalizer. My integrated 5.1 sound card on my new comp has software with a 10 band EQ, so who needs them on the speakers? Another bad thing about these speakers is that they dont have any rubber feet, so they slide around on your desk when you pull a wire or adjust the volume. All in all, a good buy for the price if you want a COMPUTER SYSTEM. If this is where you watch DVDs and play music from all the time, get something better. But for those of us on a budget, and have real external stereos, these are great.
Also, I plugged mine into the srge protector my comp is on, so when I turn it off, it turns off the speakers, and there is no hiss. I don't what the other people are doing wrong. Good Luck!

4.0 out of 5 stars great for the price, but watch out!, December 21, 2004
Not full range, but rich in the range it has, this system is damn good for the money. My only advice is to watch out, as one short tumble of the right speaker killed my whole system. since i got it for 40 bucks and used it a year, it's okay, but wanna warn others. Also, beware of 5 piece gaming system by AL in same price range, horrible!! couldn't believe it was the same manufacuterer. REPEAT this product good buy but fragile, 5 piece system in this price range sucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value speakers, August 26, 2003
Chino Fernandez "techtor" (Quezon CIty, Philippines) - See all my reviews
I bought these speakers to finally give my drab 2-speaker tin can-sound the boot and get some real power. Now the AVS300 is considered a starter 3-piece system, but what a starter system it sure is! I watched Top Gun and the jet sounds were rumbling all over the living room, and when I played Starcraft and a siege tank blew something up, my nephew upstairs thought there was a tremor. For starters, this is one of the more costly models, but I'm not regretting the purchase. It's an awesome system and I still love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Clean Audio, June 21, 2003
Angela Pratt "ivyangel1971" (South Hadley, MA United States) - See all my reviews
These speakers came much lighter than I axpected. A decent size to use on a computer desk, with control nobs easy to access and use. Much better quality sound than I expected. It's loud and crisp. I'm very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love "ALTEC ALNSING", August 17, 2002
"prodigy-sage" (Orange, CA United States) - See all my reviews
1. Delivers high quality audio for music, gaming, MP3, home entertainment and PCs.
2. Powered subwoofer adds bass for low frequency realism.
3. Patented EQ circuitry provides dynamic bass response.
Cheap, just good for everyone!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable Sats and Sub, April 20, 2002
No complaints here. Have had these for a few months and I am always amazed at how good they sound for their size and price (especially when playing regular 16 bit stereo cds). Sometimes I often forget that they are just simple sats and sub and I think I'm listening to a mid-priced portable table top bedroom or home stereo shelf unit. Albeit these speakers are not for those seeking the ultimate in audiophile perfection. However, you got to remember your using this for a computer set up and not for a full blown hdtv widescreen movie extravaganza in 5.1 or6.1 or 10.1 (you get the picture without any pun)! Altec Lansing so far has me sold on these. Now, they've only wet my aural appetite to see (or hear) what their higher priced and more elaborate set ups are like...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›