5.0 out of 5 stars As computer speakers and not audiophile stereo equipment...
... the Altec Lansing VS4121 2.1 Speaker System provides a remarkable return on a relatively meager investment. As I write this, I am listening to a 1930s recording of Django Reinhardt and hearing every note and nuance of the music; as well as every cough, click, and pop on the antique recording. A $99 investment is providing a vastly improved computing and listening...
Published on October 17, 2003 by F. L. Watts

3.0 out of 5 stars Something to consider ...
The fair market value of ~$75.00 for these speakers is quite attractive, never-the-less, I returned my set a week after purchase and I will tell you why.
1) Sound quality is marginal at best. The highs are only apparent & clear if you turn the bass down to about 15-20% and the treble to about 55-60%. Without this adjustment, the sound is quite muddy and highs are...
Published on April 28, 2004 by J. Osborn

‹ Previous | 14 5 69 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Real good cheap speakers, January 17, 2010
This review is from: Altec Lansing VS4121 2.1 Computer Speaker System, 3 piece (Personal Computers)
I purchased these with some hesitation after reading a lot of reviews. I read the sound quality on them has to much bass and there is no mid range. I also read the speakers have a bad hum that comes from the subwoofer. I must say that I have not experienced any of the problems people say they have had.I get great sounding music and there is no hum coming from the bass. I guess if the circuits are faulty in your house you will get that from the current or something. I must say the bass is very loud but I guess that is why there is a bass knob to turn it down? Also I barely adjusted the sound with an equalizer that took a whopping 10 seconds and fixed any mid range problem people say they have had and couldn't fix apparently? I noticed they had a new version of these out that are black but look the same and same model. Not sure what that is about.

Overall I am very pleased with this purchase. I bought the speakers for $33 from Altec Lansings website and they blow my last 2 pairs of Logitechs out of the water that cost twice as much. You won't be disappointed with these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loud bass., September 6, 2006
MSD (Divine Providence, USA) - See all my reviews
These speakers are quite nice, but have the unfortunate tendency to disturb my downstairs roommate when the woofer is on the floor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price, good size, good sound, February 18, 2007
These speakers were free as part of a package for purchasing Office 2007 at a big-box retailer, but even at retail, the price is good for what you get. Set-up is very simple, and the subwoofer takes up very little space. I use them when I want to hear decent sound for music from my laptop, and they're great for this purpose. Since I use the laptop in my living room, I wanted speakers that wouldn't take up a lot of room, and these are relatively unobtrusive. The sound is not what you get from very expensive speakers, because they are not expensive. I did find that I had to reduce the bass a lot to get more balanced sound, and the midrange isn't great, but overall, the sound is very good. There is a hum when you are not playing anything through the speakers, but that's easily taken care of by just turning them off when you aren't using them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, January 26, 2007
I just received these speakers today and the sound quality really isn't that great. I'm listening to various types of music (high bitrate MP3s - but still high quality encodings) and none of it really sounds special. Everything sounds really affected. The base has to be turned VERY low so it doesn't over power the rest of the sound. The mid-range sounds are almost non-existent. I expected a little better (in spite of the low price) just b/c I had great luck with my previous set of moderately priced Altec Lansings (ACS 45.1) that I had for over 6 years until they took an apparent electrical spike recently. I probably should have spent the extra money and went with something like the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's so many people rave about. Oh well, I guess sometimes you actually get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars For $40 bucks plus shipping..no better deal, March 5, 2006
These speakers rock and turn your computer or ipod into a stereo. Ok, they're not audiophile quality but they are excellent sounding and well well worth the money as an upgrade for your computer.

The thing that impresses me about these AL2.1's is their small size and their heavy gauge wires. Heavy guage wire is essential when it comes to audio/speaker equipment.

As a bonus, they look good on the desk next to the monitor.

Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers for a low price, February 18, 2006
GHD (Lakewood, CO) - See all my reviews
These speakers certainly live up to the positive reviews they've been getting at Amazon. Great sound, and plenty of volume if you want it. The controls are all very conveniently located on the right speaker, and include volume, treble, bass, on/off switch, and the headphone jack. Excellent bass sound. Another plus is the connection cables are heavy duty, much better than I've seen on other computer speakers. For about $50, these speakers are an excellent buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neophytes, January 25, 2008
Hmmm, hum you say? None here. Read the reviews about humming, no mid range, etc. I just installed these on my pc with some skepticism. I have a pretty good home audio system, Bose speakers, Pioneer amp, Sony dvd and this system for my pc sounds spectacular. Try plugging your power cord into a good surge protector. Anyway, for $25.99 from Bestbuy, I made out like a bandit, plus $5.99 for a two year unconditional replacement. I'm in a real good mood about these speakers. Best purchase I could have made. Thank you and goodnight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good as a Sirius speaker system, January 2, 2008
I bought this from St@ples for $20 on black Friday. Hard to beat the price, hence the 4 star rating. I think the sound is pretty good, I would be happy if I spent more, but glad I did not.

Without an audio source, there is an irritating hum, but I use them with my Sirius receiver, so I don't notice it very much, unless Howard stops talking for a few seconds...which doesn't happen too often!!

If these were PC speakers, I would return them or have them turned off until I needed to hear something.

4.0 out of 5 stars good buy., July 25, 2005
M. Conley (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I am very happy with these speakers. Some people complain about a low subwoofer hum (ground noise), but I have yet to experience this. The sub is VERY potent and I like it. The only complaint I have is the downfiring midrange which seems to dampen the mids at low volume.

These are a great buy for someone looking for speakers that are low in price but not quality.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good treble, lacking midrange, booming bass and loud hum, November 15, 2005
The treble sounds quite nice, but the midrange is far too weak and the bass is much too loud. This can be fixed quite well with a 32 band software equalizer and the measurements made at [...]. But then there's the dreaded low hum mentioned by several other reviewers and I've found no solution for that. I'm sure there are better choices at this price range.

‹ Previous | 14 5 69 | Next ›