5.0 out of 5 stars A definite standout book
Published on September 18, 2008 by sfknitter

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited number of ideas
This book, for the money was interesting, with nice photos, but few ideas to inspire me to jump in and start felting.
Published 18 months ago by Elizabeth Radovsky

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite standout book, September 18, 2008
sfknitter (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
AlterKnits Felt is a standout book amongst other felting books - Leigh Radford has made her distinct mark in this fantastic book. Full of great explanations on what fibers do in the felting process, different processes are covered and of course, great!! projects ranging from small rings to larger totes. The instructions go further than your typical instructions - you're told why to do some steps so as to make your felted item better in the long run and they're accompanied by really clear diagrams. A highly recommended book, especially if you're a fan of One Skein or AlterKnits!

4.0 out of 5 stars fulling, not felting -- but still a great book, March 4, 2009
This is a wonderful book and I'm really excited to make some of Leigh Radford's creations. However, this is a book with fulling and needle felting projects, NOT felting projects. Fulling is the process of taking already knitted or woven pieces and felting them (often in the washing machine). Felting is, by definition, working with unspun fibers. The picture on the cover may be a bit misleading since the balls are actually felted. The vast majority of the book's 30 projects are fulled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hit from Leigh Radford, September 23, 2008
Being a huge fan of Ms. Radford's previous books, "AlterKnits" & "One Skein Knitting" I am pleased to see that her third effort only gets better & better.

The projects are thoroughly detailed, the use of color and imagination in their development is beautiful and inspired. Ms. Radford is a master and I always find projects in each of her books that a complete luddite like myself, can complete with confidence and satisfaction.

A brilliant and unique addition to my library, and a fabulous kick-start to my own imagination.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something for everybody, October 9, 2009
From a small, adorable ring to a cover for an IKEA ottoman, there's something for all levels of ambition here. I really like the modern style of the designs. Some of the projects start of with something you've knit yourself while others have you start with a recycled wool sweater. I have to admit I like the looks of some of these recycled projects so much that I'm considering knitting my own sweaters just to recycle them into laptop sleeves or chair cushions. I really love the use of both color and texture in these projects. There's a nice span of techniques to get you there as well... texture is accomplished through shibori or cabling, color is added through knitting, needle felting, or surface embroidery to name a few options. The felted objects are either shaped through knitting or the felted fabric is cut into the desired shape. I really like the tone of the book too. I think this book and I are going to spend a lovely winter together.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something new, December 16, 2008
Susan Schiffer "fiber poet" (Charlottesville, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I look to books like this for inspiration and find myself referring to it quite frequently. Nice mix of goodies to make. Not outstandingly innovative but good descriptions and, more importantly, directions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool!, February 26, 2009
Liz (Santa Rosa, CA) - See all my reviews
I haven't made anything from this book yet, but I just love the creativity. This is one of those books I like to go through just to get inspired. I bought another of the Alterknits books for the same reason and I like to support this kind of art. Highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars innovative and exciting, September 16, 2009
i could hardly wait for this book to arrive and when it did it confirmed my suspicions-i am hooked. Can't wait to start on the wonderful Christmas 'Stockings', everything in this book is a pull on ones creative side, led by a master in creative ideas --you won't be sorry you bought Alterknits by Leigh Radford and the photography just enhances the 'Lure'

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool and unique..., July 9, 2009
E. Carrier (Charleston, WV) - See all my reviews
This book presents beautiful eye candy that inspires me to make, make, and make! Plus, the projects are fashionable, but with their own different twists. The projects range from purses and scarf-like creations to Christmas and home decorations. If I were looking for a felted/fulled objects book and had no prior knowledge of this book, this is the one I would go to first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great felting resource, January 26, 2013
Janice L. Ferguson "JLF" (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AlterKnits Felt: Imaginative Projects for Knitting & Felting (Hardcover)
This book contains the best advice about felting I've found. Such clever patterns included. Really love the circular zippered coin purse pattern. I've made several for gifts and everyone has loved them. Fun to make and such fun to see the change in shape after felting. I think of them as jewelry pouches, but it has been interesting to hear everyone's different ideas fore uses of them. This is a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to have, December 25, 2012
I got this book from the library and had to buy my own copy. I'm not a great knitter, but I can do the patterns in here.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

AlterKnits Felt: Imaginative Projects for Knitting & Felting
AlterKnits Felt: Imaginative Projects for Knitting & Felting by Leigh Radford (Hardcover - October 1, 2008)
Used & New from: $4.81