Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Alterna Bamboo Style Form Ultra Hold Sculpting Clay for Unisex, 2 Ounce
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on July 14, 2012
After searching online and asking around in disbelieve that Alterna discontinued the Hemp line products - particularly Concrete - I was pleasantly relieved to discover Sculpting Clay as it's replacement. After a few uses it appears to be the same formula as Hemp Concrete with a different scent & package. Feels, looks, and performs the same...

I'm curious why Alterna hadn't provided any sort of communication to point customers/reviewers of Hemp line products to similar products within the new Bamboo line. I suppose a good product is better than good communication.

Take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy the same Concrete you once loved behind a new label!
77 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2013
This product provides great hold for my hair, which is incredibly fine and has always had the body of a tortilla. It allows me to give it a little bit of volume and put it where I want, and provides re-workability during the day. It does all this without making my hair feel crispy, crunchy, gooey, greasy, slimy, or pretty much any other adjective you could reasonably associate with hair styling products. And you use such a tiny amount (I have short hair), that the jar lasts forever! Well worth the cost. When Alterna's stopped making their hemp-based product, I was disconsolate. When I discovered that it was replaced by this bamboo-based product, which was at least as good, if not better, I was disproportionately overjoyed. I know I'm a bit of a foolish writer, but it's early and I haven't had my coffee. Bottom line: You can't go wrong with this. Buy it.
on August 9, 2015
I LOVE this product. I am a guy with shortish straight, fine hair. I am a professional hairstylist and have tried many other products on my own hair (a few of my other favorites before this were from Bumble and Bumble, American Crew, and D:fi). For me, the ideal product has a firm hold (so my fine hair doesn't move too much in the wind), is matte in texture (I hate the wet look on my own hair), doesn't leave my hair even the least big greasy, and holds up through a long day. This product successfully accomplishes those things, which is why I've been using it loyally for the past year.

Note: because my hair is so fine, I sometimes spray a dry texturizing spray (Oscar Blandi, Bumble and Bumble, or Kerastase) into my hair before applying this clay in order to give my hair even more fullness and texture -- it gives the clay some extra grittiness to grab onto.
on June 24, 2015
This is the brand used by my hairdresser, and I will continue to use it at home. Tried LSB and while it holds very well, Alterna is far superior for a few reasons: Better scent. The other? Kinda smelled waxy and like burning plastic. LSB also is difficult to get out of your hair when washing. I found I needed to wash and rinse twice in one shower. Alterna washes out easily, no problem. LSB is heavier, therefore, causes your hair to lay down more quickly through the day. Alterna's product is much lighter but has a superior hold compared to the other product.

All in all, this is the sculpting clay I will continue to buy and use. Recommend highly.
on December 17, 2013
There's no replacement for it. Turns my hair into flexible pipe cleaners without adding weird shine to it. It's the only thing that prevents my hair from returning to its natural state of "chia pet".
on November 3, 2014
I am a 68-year old male who has thinning hair that has lost its body. A little dab of this hair dressing gives my hair the body it needs to easily stay in place. It gives me the control over my hair that I had for years. The clay gives the hair a slight matt look, but that is an insignificant trade off for the control it provides. Notice that many other reviewers pointed out that you use an extremely small amount of the dressing each time. Consequently, the bottle is actually very cheap because of how long it will last. Some reviewers complained that the dressing made their hair feel greasy and that it was hard to wash out. My hair requires so little of the clay for holding that I have not had any of these problems. Likewise, some complain that the clay has a fragrance, but I have not noticed any even though I am especially sensitive to smell. Overall, I am glad that I found this product and appreciative of the other reviewers who pointed out its many fine features.
on August 25, 2013
For a long time, I exclusively used Alterna's Hair Concrete from their Hemp line of products. When that was discontinued, I just could not find a suitable alternative. Then I discovered this stuff, which is essentially identical to the hair concrete! The only difference I can find really is the smell - the texture, hold, and quality is just as fantastic.

I love this product because it gives extreme hold without making your hair hard and stiff like gel or hairspray. This leaves your hair still soft and re-workable so if you want to adjust your styling after having the product in for 10 minutes, you can do just that! (Or if you happen to walk through a major wind storm and need to fix your hair afterwards).

Also, the matte finish is nice since your hair just looks like hair - not wet and greasy looking.

Highly recommended!

Although, if you are a Hair Concrete fan like me - Alterna has started making the Hemp line again! So now you can get either this or the hemp one and either will be great!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2012
Thank goodness I found a replacement for their discontinued Concrete! I love this stuff.

A tiny bit goes a long way! It gives the perfect texture for a "piecey" look without getting hard or feeling heavy and it retains its moldability all day. I like the new scent too!
on June 21, 2015
Best product I've found for my short piecy haircut. Gives perfect texture, grit, and volume, and washes out easily. Only has a low to medium hold, but that's fine with me. Hint: use shampoo to wash it off your hands, it works better than hand soap.
on June 11, 2013
I bought this hoping it would be similar to Redken's discontinued Rough Clay 20. This product is almost plastic like. Hard to emulsify and apply. Also, by the end of the day, my hair looks like I have dandruff from this product.