Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Alternate Kindle Cover

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2008 7:17:32 PM PST
Well, I just discovered that for about $15 you can make an alternate Kindle cover is better than the Amazon one. The Moleskine Large Reporter Plain Notebook is just the right size--after you cut out the paper. (You can cut the paper out by slicing where it meets the boards and still have a useable book for taking notes!! The paper will stay together because the signatures are pasted to a top paper.)

The Moleskine notebook comes with an elastic band to hold the cover closed. I added a small velcro patch to hold the in place when the cover is open.

I love it. It provides protection and it is much easier to hold than the Amazon cover--the front folds over the back. It is quite comfortable this way: this is the classic "reporter" style notebook for taking notes when holding the book.

If you haven't seen this Moleskine notebook, there is a picture on
the Moleskine site at http://www.moleskines.com/moleskine-reporter-notebooks.html

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2008 8:30:22 PM PST
JOEKC says:
Any chance you could post a picture of the Kindle in the notebook?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2008 8:05:58 AM PST
K. Rogers says:
Great idea - I think there will be a whole kindle industry out there between covers and low cost e-books via the self publishing options.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2008 4:26:16 PM PST
D. Freeman says:
I'd like to see an aftermarket cover that's more like a skin for the Kindle where I can just read through it instead of having to take it in and out all the time. I have no problem with the included cover for protection or storage, but reading with it is a pain to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2008 5:42:30 PM PST
Did you realize that the front folds over the back on the standard cover also? That how I hold it all the time and I've had no need for Velcro.

However, I hadn't realized why I liked the look of the cover so much - it's because it matches my Moleskines. Don't know why I didn't see it before...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2008 6:14:45 PM PST
Adam Bourque says:
Hey could you go into more detail into how exactly you cut out the paper from the moleskin notebook. Sounds like something I want to try. Didnt' understand what you meant about "signatures." Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2008 6:35:32 PM PST
Collin:
I did realize that the Amazon cover folds--but it is much larger than the Kindle itself and I find it hard to hold. The neat thing about the Moleskin is that it is almost exactly the width of the Kindle itself and it is much lighter. I find it easier to carry and much much easier to leave on when reading.
YMMV.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2008 6:43:30 PM PST
If you fold back the covers of the Moleskine (or of almost any other book with an old-fashioned binding), you will see that inside the "hinge" of the external binding (the soft part of the binding, as opposed to the two hard "boards" on the front and back) there is a separate inner binder to which all the pages are really attached. That inner binding is actually a sheet of paper pasted to the insides of the covers but not pasted to the "hinge" part.
Now cut the just inside the joint on each side of the hinger where the inner cover no longer pasted to a board. (I actually used a knife). The entire paper contents of the notebook will come free of the cover, still glued to the piece of paper inside the hinge. On some books this will come apart quickly, but on the Moleskine the paper stays attached to this piece pretty well!

The remaining two "boards" are still connected by the outer hinge and make a good Kindle cover!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2008 11:46:36 AM PST
hdtravel says:
These are very nice:

http://www.sfbags.com/products/kindle/kindlecase.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2008 7:53:06 PM PDT
scubagirl says:
I like a kindle cover that protects the buttons from being activated, especially the roller button. check ebay.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2008 8:00:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2008 8:01:36 PM PDT
Deb says:
D. Freeman,

Maybe the Vizu skin would work for you. Don't get the one by Kroo because it covers up the scroll wheel.

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Silicone-electronic-reading-Pre-Order/dp/B001AO27NS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1214189946&sr=1-1
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 22, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation) by Amazon.com
4.2 out of 5 stars   (7,980)