Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 14, 2008 12:23:44 PM PDT
Ron Burgandy says:
After about a year and a half or so of participating in the discussion board for my review of WTEWYE (3rd edition), I'm definitely noticing that people are asking for recommendations for books to read as an alternative. The problem is that, collectively, we don't seem to be coming up with a heck of a lot.
So my goal here is to try and start a more positive discussion of what other books everyone found that DOES work, so we can finally put this book back to work lining someone's bird-cage ...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2009 1:12:54 PM PST
Rowan Reader says:
this is a long time coming from your post, but have you read From the Hips? I found the 'real mom' thought bubbles to be a bit negative, but the overall tone was very helpful and calming. Stayed fairly non-judgemental as well, which is always nice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2009 9:47:26 AM PST
Ron Burgandy says:
I can't honestly say I'd heard of that one ... Thanks for the heads up!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2009 9:43:16 AM PST
Caroline S. says:
I recommend "The Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy" and "Great Expectations." The Mayo guide is my top choice because, well, it's from Mayo and includes research-based information from top doctors and scientists. When the authors mention a risk or something else negative, they actually tell you how prevalent or rare it is. I feel very comfortable NOT worrying about xyz because the occurence is 1 in 1,000,000,000 births, for example. The information is comprehensive and presented in a calm, clinical manner that does not encourage paranoia. Probably the best part of it is the "Call your Dr. when. . ." page. There's a chart of symptoms that, based on how far along the pregnancy is and the severity of the symptom, indicates if you should go to the ER, call your Dr. within 24 hours, or tell your Dr. next visit. Basically, there are few symptoms that necessitate an immediate trip to the ER. I found these charts to be reassuring and helpful.

"Great Expectations" is also a helpful resource, but I give it 4/5 stars because there is still some fear-mongering and preaching in there that get on my nerves. Also, it's written by a mother-daughter team who are both nurses and I personally prefer to take advice from doctors or scientists. Its conversational tone will appeal to people who are turned off by the clinical tone of the Mayo guide.

Dirty hippies like me might also enjoy "Raising Baby Green: The Earth-Friendly Guide to Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Baby Care." I haven't gotten through the whole thing yet, but I like the detailed information on how to have a greener house and family-- like how to make your own household cleaners, how to wash cloth diapers (and why they're a good choice over disposables), etc.

So let's remember, everyone: Most pregnancies are healthy and uncomplicated and most babies are born healthy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2009 6:28:29 PM PST
Ron Burgandy says:
You said "Dirty Hippies" hahahahahaha ....

This is all terrific information! Thanks Caroline! I hope everyone came through your pregnancy healthy?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2009 11:42:01 AM PST
Caroline S. says:
Hey Ron,

Thanks for asking. I'll let you know in April! So far, so good, though.

Caroline

Posted on Apr 14, 2009 7:35:08 PM PDT
Nicole Lyons says:
"I'm Pregnant" by Lindsey Regan is my favorite so far, she is an Ob/Gyn professor and the book is extremely informative, and well laid out with great pictures. As a first timer in the pregnancy circle I give it an A+

Posted on Jul 20, 2009 10:58:40 AM PDT
M. Pottle says:
My husband and I were both pretty disgusted by What to Expect. We read about 2 chapters and put the thing down for good. We went to the local bookstore and found a copy of The Pregnancy Bible. It has a lot of the same information, but the problems are stowed away in a reference section and not in the day-to-day "normal" sections. I don't have an exact count, but the list of contributing authors included many medical professionals from OBs to CNMs. It's colorful, well organized and very informative. Best of all, it steers clear of the rampant condescension and cutsie-ness of What to Expect. It treats expecting parents like adults, which we should be if we're in this positon, right?

Posted on Oct 9, 2009 12:24:46 PM PDT
Ron Burgandy says:
Just a quick shout to Caroline S to see how the delivery went? Everyone make it through OK?

Posted on Nov 22, 2009 6:52:21 PM PST
Hands Off My Belly: The Pregnant Woman's Survival Guide to Myths, Mothers, and Moods is a great book, and I should know since I wrote it with my wife. We are both OB-GYN physicians and unlike the What to Expect book ours comes from patient questions and is a fun alternate read.

Shawn Tassone, MD
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Aug 14, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 22, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
What to Expect When You''re Expecting
What to Expect When You''re Expecting by HEIDI E. MURKOFF, SANDEE E. HATHAWAY' 'ARLENE EISENBERG (Paperback - March 4, 1996)
3.8 out of 5 stars (3,262)