Customer Discussions > Star Fox 64 3D forum

Alternate Paths

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 10, 2011 3:02:32 PM PDT
Mattx510 says:
I played through the game, taking no alternate paths once. Now I want to take the Alternate routes, I took the one in the first level to hit a bunch on new planets, but now im at the level before the boss and there are 4 planets it the top left that I want to get to, anyone know how to do this? I cannot seem to find a guide or walkthrough to give me this answer anywhere.

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 10:28:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2011 9:36:49 AM PDT
S. Rhodes says:
If you go to GameFAQs and look up a guide for Star Fox 64 on the Nintendo 64 you'll find all the info you need. In terms of the "alternate routes" the game is completely and totally unchanged. But to save you some trouble searching I'll post here. I'm only listing the levels that actually have alternate routes. Titania, Bolse, Solar, Aquas and Area 6 do NOT have Alternate routes at all.

1. Corneria:
You probably know this one already. But when Falco is being chased, destroy those chasing him and then fly under all the arches. Falco will comment about you doing some smooth flying. After going under all the archways Falco will lead you to an alternate boss. If you play through the level Normally you'll go to Meteo.

2. Meteo
Playing straight through the level will take you on to Fichina. But if you decide to go to Katina you'll notice shortly after the checkpoint that there are these other circle like things. Fly through one and you'll start to roll. You'll see another. And another. Fly through all of these and you'll suddenly warp to Katina.

3. Fichina
If you want to take the alternate route here you have to defeat all the members of Star Wolf. It's not too much of a challenge--especially if you have hyper lasers. It's actually much harder to keep your squad mates alive than fighting Star Wolf. Do this and you'll go to Solar.

4. Sector X
If you shoot and go through all four gates you'll got to Sector Z. On the other hand, if you play through normally to fight Spyborg then one of two things can happen. To go to Titania you simply have to let Slippy get smacked away. Fox will decide to go and save him. If you want to go to Macbeth instead, however you have to defeat the boss BEFORE Slippy charges in and gets slapped away.

5. Katina
Much like Fichina there's a time limit here. If you destroy the mothership and bring it crashing down then you'll go to Solar. If, however, you don't defeat the mothership in time you'll go to Sector X

6. Macbeth
This is one of the harder ones at first. At some point Peppy will mention something about switches. You're job is to flick all eight switches. Doing so will cause the bosses train to crash (it'll also grant you a +50 hit bonus). This will take you to Area 6. Otherwise you'll have to fight the boss the normal way

7. Sector Y
You'll probably end up getting this one without really even realizing what the stipulations are. Most continue on to Aquas without realizing just HOW they managed to get to Aquas. If you manage to get over 100 hits you'll continue on to Aquas. If you get less you'll go to Katina.

8. Zoness
If you want to take the alternate route here you'll need to destroy all the searchlights. You must do this WITHOUT getting spotted. Doing so will take you to Sector Z. If the searchlights turn red it means you've been spotted and you'll end up heading to Macbeth.

9. Sector Z
This is, in my opinion, the hardest one. And it's mostly because of keeping your team alive. But here you'll see missiles hurdling toward the Great Fox. If you destroy all the missiles and never let Great Fox take a hit you'll take the alternate route to Area 6. If not then you'll go to Bolse.

10. Venom
Venom doesn't actually have any alternate routes but it bears mentioning that if you reach Venom through Area 6 you'll fight a tough battle with Star Wolf before going on to fight Andross, who will take on a completely different second form. The easiest (or hardest depending on how you look at it) is to take the "Hard Route". You'll know if you're on the Hard, Normal or Easy Routes based on the line between planets. Hard route stages use a red line. Normal uses a yellow line to connect each planet and easy uses a blue. You'll find that you can mix and match. And you can even take some normal routes to get to the "Hard" version of Venom. What's important is that you get to Venom through Area 6. Therefore taking the route: Corneria, Sector Y, Aquas, Zoness, Sector Z, and finally Area 6.

If you're not up for doing Sector Z you can always get to Area 6 through Macbeth.

Likewise, you'll often know if you're taking an alternate route based on what it says after you complete a mission. If it says "Mission Accomplished" it usually means you've taken the alternate route. If it just says "Mission Complete," you've done the level the normal way. If the mission does NOT have an alternate route it will ALWAYS say "Mission Accomplished."

The planets that you are talking about that you didn't get to are all located on the "Hard Path". So start by saving Falco and flying under all the arches. After that you'll go to Sector Y. Get 100 hits. After that go to Aquas and just survive. Then go to Zoness and destroy all the search lights, then go to Sector Z and save The Great Fox and then survive through Area 6. If Sector Z proves too hard you can always neglect destroying the searchlights in Zoness and go to Macbeth and hit all the switches to get to Area 6 instead. Just note that going this route creates a completely different experience in Venom. And if you manage to get to Venom through Area 6 I would highly suggest you have the hyper (blue) lasers... and hopefully you kept your team alive.

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 10:23:15 AM PDT
Mattx510 says:
Wow great post! Thank you so much, EXACTLY what I was looking for! :) Now I just need to beat Andross Final Form, I kill the eyes easily but then every attempt to maneuver away and around the brain always gets me caught in the tentacles, and he goes invisible, but I am new to Star Fox so I guess I just need practice.

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 5:02:31 PM PDT
saskamazon says:
@S.Rhodes .... awesome criteria breakdown ! thank you sooo much. now if only I could pass Macbeth. I'm terrible with the tank. have never once hit all 8 switches - ugh ! will keep trying .... :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Star Fox 64 3D forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Sep 10, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 12, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Star Fox 64 3D
Star Fox 64 3D by Nintendo (Nintendo 3DS)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (212)