Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on February 28, 2011
I am just finishing reading this book. I bought it because I was looking for answers to some health problems me and my husband have but also because I am interested in natural medicine. In this book the author goes around the US and talks to all kinds of alternative health professionals. What you get is a lot of very valuable information and advice. I only didn't give it 5 stars because I wanted to find here alternatives using the spices and herbs you can easily find everywhere, like cayenne pepper, cider vinegar and such. This book is more about supplements but very interesting nevertheless and very much worth reading. As they say on the cover it contains information about more than 1.000 of the most effective natural home remedies. Still, the problem is that many of the supplements discussed in this book are rather expensive, at least here in Europe so if you take a few for a longer period of time it does cost you a lot of money. But you get to understand health problems better and although you don't go and buy everything they talk about you can make an informed choice. At the end there is also a very interesting explanation about what many of the alternative therapies are all about, a guideline for the safe use of the remedies they purpose, where you can go to get the products they talk about (very useful because sometimes you read about something you would like to try but you have no idea where to find it) and a couple of pages which show you the acupressure points in case you want to try the therapies. Even if you don't suffer from anything it is always good to be informed so that you can avoid those ailments. And they do discuss a lot of ailments.... even wrinkles! Other ones which might interest a lot of people are heart and blood pressure problems, Cataracts, Allergies, Menopausal problems, warts, Diabetes... you name it, if you suffer from something the chance is that they discuss it in this book.

Another point of interest is the fact that they also point out to you when you should go to the doctor and what to look for when you find yourself a therapist. I liked the fact that they have a preference for natural cures, of course, but that they don't think that they will cure all. There are always problems which require a regular doctor. I will keep at hand as a reference book but now I will also look for one which uses simple home remedies!
on February 22, 2012
I am interested in anything having to do with alternative medicine, herbs, natural remedies, etc. I do believe in an integrated approach to the different medical schools of thought and using the best of all worlds. I especially like this authors sections on Guide to Professional Care. For the inexperienced sometimes it is hard to find an alternative practitioner, it's like going down the list in the yellow pages and picking one. He gives you tips on things to look for in a doctor and when a medical condition is bad enough to need a doctor. He also gives more than 1,000 home remedies that can be used right in the home. I liked this book and use it as a reference guide for me and my family. -- Val Lull
on March 29, 2009
I can't say enough about what a wonderful book this is. Updated and easier to read with a new font. It is one that we refer to with regularity at our home. I will buy extras to give as gifts to family I think that highly of it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 21, 2012
My husband and I started reading this at our daughters house and enjoyed it so much, had to get one for ourselves.. It's one of the easiest alternative cure books we've read. It's full of great advice that's easy to understand and supplements that are easy to find.. We've tried a few of the alternatives and found them to be very helpful.
on April 9, 2010
a good book for those who want to get rid of some of those various lingering med problems. i gave it 4 stars and not 5 just because of the jargons in the book (e.g. vitamin E for this, vitamin D for that). if you have no idea what foods or home remedies serve these vitamins then you're gonna be annoyed. Good book to have but the not so savvy like myself might want to buy another book to complement, which explains the food groups and their health contents/uses.
on October 31, 2011
I have been a Natural Drugless Doctor since 1978 before it was popular to say NO to Prescription Drugs. This book provides information for you to choose what you can do to achieve optimal health and function without running to the conventional physician for a med which manages symptoms and often creates challenges that require more meds. I have read thousands of books, each one has a nugget to add to your "Natural Health Care Kit" this one has a 1000. It is a pleasure to read a piece that is actually trying to help; tis book will make a difference, I promise. Dr. Bob DeMaria "The Drugless Doctor"
on February 6, 2013
If you are into alternative medicine or alternative cures, then without a doubt, you wont go wrong purchasing this book.. I'm glad I did...
on October 30, 2009
This book is very informative and has helped me and my husband in combating certain disorders. Reccomend it to all.
on June 16, 2011
To me this book just did not do enough to make me feel confident that I could trust the information provided. It mostly recommends supplements, but I felt explanations were sometimes lacking. For fatigue it recommends glutamate. I googled this and found information on MSG. The book is telling me to take MSG supplements? I'm not really sure- but having paid for the book, I don't expect to have to spend hours googling trying to figure out what you are telling me and if it's actually safe for me. Similarly it recommends carnitine which I had to google and read about various forms and try to figure out what I was supposed to be taking. If you recommend supplements at the very least couldn't the book tell me what to look for in supplements- particularly what it would be called would be helpful. When I look for carnitine supplements I find L-Carnitine, Acetyl L-Carnitine. Which one is right? Looking more I find there is propionyl-L-carnitine, and D-carnitine which apparently is bad. None of this is the book. I don't feel the information is complete enough and due to that I don't feel I can trust it. I do not recommend wasting money on this book.
on May 28, 2012
Excellent book very informative. Answered a lot of my questions I was wondering about. I do think the book needs to be updated. Some alternatives have changed. But all in all the book is great.