5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a great cup of coffee
Published on May 27, 2012 by M. Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed thoughts
First, my husband definitely likes the coffee that's brewed from this pot. The thermal carafe works pretty well, although sometimes we do have to microwave his last cup or so. Since we're offgrid, we like the low power usage that comes with a thermal carafe.

Published 20 months ago by A. Brock

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a great cup of coffee, May 27, 2012
This review is from: BUNN HTD Phase Brew High Altitude 8-Cup Thermal Carafe Home Coffee Brewer (Kitchen)
I purchased the Bunn HT High Altitude around six months ago after doing a lot of research and checking online. It is one of only four models endorsed by the SCAA. I have a whole posse of coffee contraptions living in my kitchen. I typically reach for the French press or make an americano with my Silvano espresso maker. I also own a Bodum Santo which is no longer manufactured, and produced a great cup with the only downside of using a lot of beans. So when I decided to purchase a new drip machine, I looked at the models the SCAA liked. The Techniform is likely a great machine, but I could not justify the price after a recent espresso machine purchase. The Bunn HT was less than half the price of the Techniform, so I decided to give it a try. There were favorable reviews and others with major complaints on the Bunn HT. In my case, it is great and produces a better cup than any other I've tasted from a drip machine. Possibly Bunn has addressed the complaints and I have an updated model? In any case this HT really exceeds my expectations.
PROS:
1. Most importantly, it produces an amazingly smooth, full body cup, similar to a French press, but with no sediment.
2. The coffee is hot. I live in Denver and it is hard for most drip machines to really work well at altitude. The stainless carafe keeps the coffee hot for well over two hours after the brew. One of the features I really like is that when the HT is finished brewing, everything turns off. This includes the hot plate as well. The thermal carafe does its job of retaining the temperature and you never have to worry about the usual hot plate burning the coffee.
3. The HT has a modern design and looks good in my kitchen
4. It is easy to program the night before if needed.
5. No clean up like the French press.
6. Build quality seems fine and after six months of heavy use, I don't foresee any problems with it.
7. No annoying lights or displays that stay on. A clock is there, but muted. The brew light also turns off when the brew is done.
CONS: Ok, this is nitpicking at best, but the only real complaint I have is the pouring of the thermal carafe. It is fine to pour, with no drips at all, however the last bit of coffee is almost impossible to extract. The design shape of the carafe just does not want to release the last few drops (1/8cup). This is no way a deal breaker and only a minor annoyance I can easily live with.
Some other negative reviews addressed the loud sound the HT produces. Maybe mine has been updated, but it certainly is no big deal to me.
So if you are looking around for a new drip machine, I think you should check out the HT for certain. In the end it is all about enjoying a good cup of coffee...it's just that this one makes a great one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed thoughts, May 31, 2013

Yes, the last cup and a half doesn't pour cleanly, but if you take off the lid then it pours fine. We do seem to need to clean it often, but we have hard water, even though it's filtered through a Brita pitcher, so that's not surprising.

But the weird thing - which we finally confirmed after way too long, but will give the short version here - Often I will "prep" the coffee before my husband wakes up - put the coffee in the filter, clean out the pot, add the water. So that way when he gets up one of us just needs to push the "on" button. Since sometimes I'm on a work call when he gets up, this is a good thing to do. Well... sometimes, part of the water drips through into the pot even though the coffee pot isn't on. So half the water (or all of it on a couple occasions) is in the pot when we go to start it....

Now that we know it does this, we won't be adding the water ahead of time, but it's pretty disappointing. This will probably cause us to buy a different pot.

Not a problem if you make it and start it right away; but if you want to have it set up the night before or ahead of time, this may not be the right pot for you. Don't know if it's just our unit or not, but not happy about it. When I was out of town, he did it the night before and all of the water was in the pot in the morning....

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Coffee at Home ever, January 5, 2012
When I decided to search for a new coffee maker I scoured Amazon's reviews and found the reviews for the Bunn Velocity coffee makers were outstanding and I came across the High Altitude model (I live at ~3500 ft) and was intrigued someone addressed altitude differences. For anyone who doesn't know water boils at a lower temperature as altitude increases (sea level at 100C, 1 mile up in Denver at 95C) so what may be fine at sea level may be too hot at higher attitudes. After reviewing the Bunn website on both the Velocity and Phase Brew technology I was sold. Wow, consistent suitable water temperature, appropriate water distribution over the basket and appropriate contact time are critical to a bitter free cup of coffee!!! I decided the High Altitude version of the Phase Brew (BUNN HTD Phase Brew High Altitude 8-Cup Thermal Carafe Home Coffee Brewer) was right for me and had a less industrial look than the Velocity and max 8 cups was just fine for me. Unfortunately there were no reviews on Amazon so given the other reviews for the Velocity I took the chance and was not disappointed. Best cup of coffee at home I've ever had and it looks great on the kitchen counter!! It does take a little longer to brew (about 3 minutes longer than its predecessor) but very much worth the wait. Way to go Bunn, everyone should have one of these!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Discontinued Model - High Altitude Phase Brew, March 21, 2014
I ordered this model (BUNN HTD Phase Brew High Altitude 8-Cup Thermal Carafe Home Coffee Brewer) on another online website. Loved it for two and a half weeks. We used the auto start feature daily. Yesterday, it would not heat water i.e. no coffee before work. Called Bunn this morning and they no longer make this model. They are sending us a Velocity Brew high altitude thermal carafe to replace. Need to wait 7-10 days. But I wonder why this defective model is still being sold. The inventory should be recalled.

4.0 out of 5 stars BUNN HTD Phase Brew High Altitude 8-Cup Thermal Carafe Home Coffee Brewer, May 12, 2014
I purchased this machine in early 2010 and just got around to reviewing it. First, I have had no problems with the brewer from start until now. All is well. It does make the best coffee we have ever had from a home type brewer. We have had many and too many to name. Taht would not be appropriate anyway.
My only problem is with the carafe. I have two and keep them both in good working order by cleaning them monthly. That really makes the coffee taste much better. You don't need two but I used the second in a different house. My problems are two fold and they will not go away. Both of the carafe's drip. I pour carefully and they still drip. Second, you can never get the last cup out of the carafe. So, I make another pot.
If not for the little problems this would definitely be a 5 star.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally hot coffee!, March 1, 2014
I am glad I ordered this brewer. We live in a high altitude and were curious to see how it worked. It does a nice job and my coffee drinkers are quite happy with it. It makes hotter coffee than most brewers and the metal pot keeps it that way for longer than we had expected. (I love the pot as I can't break this one.) The outside is easy to clean and looks very nice. The inside of the pot is not as easy to clean as the rubber top surrounding it does not come off, just the lid does. It is a bit noisier at first than a drip but it brews quickly and when it's done it shuts off which is great as I sometimes forget to do that. Also you don't have wet sloppy ground like some makers leave and it seems to extract more from the coffee grounds. This is our second as the first one quit working after one use. I have to say Amazon made the replacement really easy and this one works very well. The only real drawback to this is that because of the lip around the top it does not pour as easily or completely as other pots do and so it leaves just a bit in the bottom of the pot. I still really like this product and would recommend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee When You Can't Get an Americano, February 28, 2014
spendthrift (Durango, CO United States) - See all my reviews
Scientific approach to drip coffee. I have had one machine give up the ghost, but BUNN sent me a brand new one with another 3 year warrantee for the cost of shipping the broken one back. Nothing lasts forever, but with that deal I may never have to buy a new drip coffee machine...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Coffee Maker Ever, January 27, 2014
Have had many brands of coffee makers, including regular Bunns, but this new phase brew maker is the best by far. The coffee is richer, fuller, more flavorful, and much hotter. Have had no problems. I'm aware of the issues some have had, but they may have been early teething problems since ours has worked flawlessly for months. We make about eight pots a day so it gets a workout.

I have had to clean the head a few times, simply unscrewing it and rinsing off, when a bit of calcium fem our had water blocks it a little. It's easy to know when hat happens because it brews slower and the grounds don't get as high in the basket.

There is a three to four pot break in period when you'll get a slight odor of burning plastic. Once that's gone you'll have nothing but fantastic coffee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really makes a better tasting cup!, January 12, 2014
David Watkins (Louisville, CO United States) - See all my reviews
It takes a bit longer than my old coffee maker, but there is really no comparison in the taste. Using the old one (Black and Decker) it really didn't make any difference what kind of coffee I used, it all tasted like dishwater. Of course now I'm spending a bit more on whole bean coffees trying the find the one I like best, but wow, now I know what I've been missing!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee maker when it works., February 8, 2013
I purchased this coffee maker when I moved to Denver. Based on the reviews and the technology it should have been a great machine, and it was. Unfortunately it is incredibly sensitive to power fluxuations, having a safety fuse in the brewer that trips (and cannot be reset). And, unfortunately Denver's power company, Excel, cannot seem to deliver clean power to any homes in the area. Because of these two factors the machine would work for one week to a month and then, without warning, die.

I would like to give BUNN the company 5 stars though. They replaced the machine three times, sending me a pre-paid return sticker for FedEx each time. The last time that the brewer stopped working we decided together to give up on the Phase Brew and they sent me the top end Velocity brewer(brewer number four). So far it is working wonderfully.

The Phase Brewer is fantastic, it is new technology that BUNN is developing and it makes a hell of a cup of coffee. Because of my power issues (at two different locations) this machine would simply not survive. If you have a more stable flow of power from your power company it should work well for you.