Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

on September 25, 2013
Pros:
- Great implementation of "Zero Drop" technology.
- Rugged design and construction, without sacrificing style.
- Aggressive tread pattern provides superior traction under most conditions.
- Lacing pattern allows for comfortable fit at both toe and heel.
- Excellent fit right out of the box, e.g. "road ready."

Cons:
- Pricey. But worth every penny.
- Lava-red is the only color choice. Would like a black option for every-day use as well.
- Wrap-around sole pulls away from toe guard, but superglue should fix the problem.
- Slippery on smooth, wet surfaces.

Tips:
- Sizing differs from traditional shoes, by as much as ½ to 1 full size.
- Fit may feel "sloppy" at first, especially in the toe box, but is very comfortable on the trail.
- Works well with custom orthotics. May need to up-size one full size for best fit.

After years of battling chronic plantar fasciitis, both on and off the softball diamond, I finally abandoned traditional baseball/softball cleats for turf shoes. But turf shoes are made on a conventional athletic shoe last, with all of the usual biomechanical issues described in the minimalist and Zero Drop literature. I recently had great success with my first pair of zero-drop shoes for general-purpose running, e.g. the Altra Instinct 1.5, and so I explored the idea of using a zero-drop shoe on the softball diamond. After reading a number of online reviews and watching several YouTube videos, I decided that the Altra Lone Peak 1.5 just might fill the bill.

The Lone Peak offers more lateral support and better side-to-side movement than the Instinct, and the aggressive tread handled both outfield grass and infield dirt without difficulty. This shoe had excellent grip in the dew-soaked grass of early morning, and then worked just as well on the dusty base paths at noontime. In a one-day, three-game (back-to-back) tournament, I slipped only once on a muddy patch while tracking a long fly ball to the fence. I was able to run the bases very aggressively on the hard-packed infield without ANY loss of traction, and the shoes held up well to "cutting the bag" and to hard pop-up slides. They even provided good grip when "digging in" to the soft but rutted dirt in the Batter's Box. Playing the day-long tournament in the Lone Peak was comfortable too. My feet frequently hurt for several days after only one game in cleats/turf shoes, but I played all three tournament games pain-free, and my feet actually felt better than usual the next day.

A criticism of the Lone Peak 1.5 might be the lava-red color, because I heard more than one comment to the effect of, "Dude, with bright red shoes like that you'd better be fast." But the color is growing on me now that the shoes are game-tested. A black option would be nice for every-day use though, because I have started wearing the Lone Peak with just about everything in my wardrobe except for a coat-and-tie and a tuxedo. The quality and durability appear good thus far, with the exception of the wrap-around sole pulling away from the toe guard on both shoes after only several weeks. The pre-formed sole stayed in place though, and a lit bit of superglue should keep the problem from getting worse. In conclusion, the Altra Lone Peak 1.5 may have been designed with extreme trail-running enthusiasts in mind, but serious softball players can wear this shoe with confidence knowing that it will handle anything the diamond can throw at it as well.

p.s. CAUTION: I noticed a tendency to slip on smooth wet surfaces, for example the smooth-as-glass tiling around my Fitness Center's indoor pool. I suspect that the very nubby tread pattern that provides great traction in most other situations acts more like skis or skates on smooth wet surfaces. So if your outdoor conditions include any polished or glassy surfaces, then use caution when trail running, trekking, or scrambling in damp or wet weather.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
For a new company, Altra has rapidly established themselves as a pioneer in the natural running movement. At the crux of the movement is the notion that the foot can do a better job at self-stabilizing and balancing the weight of the body when it can move freely and is allowed more, relatively unencumbered, natural contact with the ground than when it's in a shoe that is thickly cushioned or overly correcting by design.

Altra Footwear has designed a line-up of running shoes that mimic the natural shape and heel-to-toe ratio of the foot thereby allowing the body to run more naturally, more efficiently. By building a shoe that maps the design of your foot the Altra Lone Peak 1.5 allows your feet and toes to lay in a natural and relaxed position. Due to the gender-specific design the foot maintains its proper anatomical position allowing for maximum shock absorption and a more powerful toe off.

This second generation Lone Peak is no exception to the Altra design rules. It provides all the benefits of Altra's natural fit and feel with the added bonus of a gnarly tread ready to eat up mountain trail terrain. For the absolute purists seeking the closest connection to the trail possible, the 23mm stack height and and 10oz weight may prove to be slightly daunting. But for most runners seeking a quality shoe that offers a natural connection to the ground, the Lone Peak 1.5 is a great offering from a stellar brand.

If this is your first shoe built on a zero-drop platform, expect a significant adjustment period for your body. Remember, most running shoes are built on a 2-to-1 heel-to-toe ratio (twice as thick in the heel as the forefoot). Zero Drop footwear by ALTRA however is built on a 1-to-1 ratio meaning that the heel and forefoot are the same heights off the ground (think about standing barefoot on the ground). If you are a newbie, make sure you follow the tips and advice from Altra Footwear on natural running and you'll be good to go!
on July 24, 2013
after reading many positive reviews, i purchased these to compete in my first ultra marathon, right out of the box, the wide toe box, and the trail foot bed made this the most comfortable trail shoe i have ever worn, zero drop or otherwise, it performed admirably on a few trail runs, on on race day of my 50K, earned it's keep as my favorite trail shoe, after 31.6 miles run in the race, no blisters, no hot spots, no sore feet. despite the zero drop some ground feel is lost, so for fast trail training runs, my NB minimus trails still do the job, but for longer runs, and rocky terrain, the lone peak 1.5 cant be beat
on July 21, 2014
This shoe was purchased to do some trail running in Maine. Overall the shoe is fantastic, the toebox is 'oversized' as advertized as well. Their website is worth a view to read up on the ZeroDrop and FootShape toebox features for their shoes, http://www.altrarunning.com/.

I have been using a pair of 2012 Nike Pegasus, running 10-20 miles a week. This shoe was about a half size larger than the Nike. There is a break-in time (Again, read up on the ZeroDrop. Your achilles and calf muscles will thank you!), but after that they ride very well on gravel, dirt/mud, wood chips, and pavement. There are instructions on break-in time in the box for reference.

I would recommend these shoes to an amateur runner, just be wary of the slight change in size coming from Nike. I will purchase another pair.

*************UPDATE - 11/26/2014*************
The shoe has had some breakdowns in the first 30 miles of usage, the toe began to tear away from the shoe within the first 30 miles. Amazon would not allow a return for this product, as it had been over 30 days. Altra would not accept a return, as they were bought via a 3rd party (Amazon).

In the future, I will be looking at Nike, Acics, or Brooks for my running shoes. I really wanted to like these shoes as I run trails aprox 1/3 of the time, but the quality was not there for the pair I received. The quality problem I experienced and lack of support from customer service force me to keep searching. For this price, there must be better options out there!
on August 15, 2013
I have two pair of Altra 1.5 Instinct that I really like. In my opinion they are a better trail shoe than the Lone Peak.

I don't know if it is the sole not having the "nubbies", and it is flat, but if you do step on stones you don't feel it as much.

I guess my biggest complaints are that the sole allows you to feel (uncomfortably so) rocks if you step on them, and that the so called gaiter strap does not work. At least not with the two types of gaiters I have.

If you run on trails that are mostly dirt or in a forest where everything is soft I think they would be fine.

I use the trails in the mountains of Arizona and they are very rocky.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 7, 2014
but I am a fan of the first version and they made this one a step up...so very happy....great shoe for the forefoot striker who still wants protection from pavement and sharp stones.
on April 13, 2014
Never heard of Altra until hiking the PCT last summer. This is my first pair of zero drop shoes and they're awesome! These shoes are primarily used when I'm hiking and doing lite trail running. Fit true to size and are very comfortable. If your on the fence about the price, try some on. I love the wide toe box but several of my friends who have tried them on didn't like it.
on December 19, 2013
I've been wearing the Altra Lone Peak as well as the Lone Peak 1.5 for a couple years now and cannot recommend them enough. In 2012 I backpacked 2700 miles from Mexico to Canada (on the Continental Divide Trail ) in 3.5 months, and went through 4 pairs. I usually get around 700 miles out of a pair of these shoes, and they are by far the best shoe I've ever worn.

In 2013 I hiked the 800 mile Arizona Trail, and then the 2660 mile Pacific Crest Trail, again wearing Altra Lone Peak shoes. The wide toe box gives your feet the room they need, and the zero-drop platform feels AMAZING. I now have 20,000 miles (and counting!) on the long distance trails of north America, and I cannot imagine outfitting my feet in anything else.

If you're used to traditionally stacked shoes with the elevated heel, these may take a little bit of getting used to, but it's worth it! I can't believe I went through so much foot pain during the years prior to discovering Altra. Now my feet are happy, and so am I. Oh, and they just started making these in BLACK!!!! Perfect for everything...even weddings or funerals!
on November 10, 2013
I love this shoe. I've run a variety of trails with it from sandy dry to technical wet and it it has tremendous grip. It gives me a lot of confidence whether it's running uphill or downhill.

The wide toe box is a perfect fit for my feet and my feet didn't feel tired at all after my recent 50k which I run with forefoot strike. I switched to a forefoot strike because of persistent heel pain.

The only thing that doesn't make to me is the "trail rudder" (I haven't cut it off like Runblogger did though)

I contacted Altra customer service regarding some lugs that had worn down faster than expected. I got a fast and competent response.

I can highly recommend this shoe for serious forefoot and mid foot trail runners.
on June 21, 2014
These are serious shoes. I've been running in these shoes for several months and they are by far the best Zero drop shoes I've worn. These are not minimalist shoes but are well cushioned somewhat bulky trail shoes. The sole is wide as well as the footbed, they protect the toes and sides of the feet very well. There is plenty of protection under the ball of the foot when you step on a small rock or root to keep from bruising your foot. I was looking for shoes for obstacle course racing and ended up buying a couple different models of Inov8 shoes. The Inov8 are great shoes but they didn't fit my EE foot. The Lone Peaks aren't advertised for obstacle course racing so I was a bit nervous about trying them on my first Spartan Beast (13 miles of very steep dirt trails, 3,500 feet of elevation plus 30 obstacles). My feet were wet, dirty, muddy for several hours during this event. Most of the trails were dry dirt but very steep. There was plenty of tread and I felt very comfortable descending in these shoes. The width is perfect for my EE feet. Other shoes are probably fine for shorter races but a Spartan Beast has a LOT of running and I'm glad I went with a great trail running shoe for my event. Other shoes advertise ability to drain water....these drain just fine in my opinion.