5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Tri Shoe.
Awesome shoe with unbelievable comfort in the toe box. Truly a great Tri shoe especially for running with no socks. For anyone with a narrow heal and wide forefoot--this is your shoe. I've definitely found mine.
Published 14 months ago by HTM

Published 2 months ago by Rudy

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Tri Shoe., September 26, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally the Perfect Shoe (so far), May 12, 2014
This review is from: Altra Men's 3-Sum Running Shoe (Shoes)
I began my running career in Vibram Fivefingers.....not by design; I just happened to be wearing them as as workout shoes when I decided to start running. Ran in them for about two years w/o any issues, so you could say that I never had to transition to zero drop....I just started that way. Well...sometime last summer my knee went crazy, possibly from some ill advised party volleyball. I found that while the Vibrams didn't seem to "cause" me to become injured, they were not really conducive to running on an agitated joint. That's when I started looking for a somewhat cushioned zero drop platform.

First I bought some Skechers GoBionic shoes. These are very comfy with two caveats.

1) Not much more cushion than fivefingers
2) Slightly cramped toebox (better than most though).

I still wear them a lot just for putzing around...they're SO light.

Live and learn...such is the way with running shoes. I wasn't upset with the Skechers because they are a great general shoe...just not for running..for me. They also helped me further define my requirements. Now I knew I needed:

1) Zero Drop
2) Moderate cushioning
3) Wide toe box

Enter Altra.

My first pair was the original Instinct. I love these shoes. The first time I wore them I ran ten miles and felt great. I logged several hundred miles in these but still was not really happy with the knee healing progress so i thought maybe I needed more cushioning.

I took a step backwards and bought Hoka One One's. Marshmallow shoes. Felt like I was one stilts. Felt like rolling my ankle. Felt like my toes were crying for freedom. I used these twice....now looking to sell.

So....back to Altra. About now, Altra Torin was coming out...touted as the "zero drop Hoka" but not so unstable. Perfect right? Almost! These are pretty damn nice. They feel "faster" than the Instincts and I've been wearing these to races. Knee is progressing well and I'm getting back to competitive times. So why do I need another shoe?

Well....a few reasons:

1) I miss the engagement with the ground.
2) The stack height on the Torins reminded me a little too much of the Hokas...sometimes I feel a little unstable.
3) I hate regular laces. I had replaced all my shoes' laces with elastic ones, but these don't always play well with standard tongues. The tongue always ends up pushed to one side.

When I saw the 3-Sums, in their fiery glory, I thought maybe I had found the perfect shoe.

Ordered them from Zappos just a few days before I noticed the price drop to $90 here on Amazon :( .

They came in last week and i wore them around the house to check the size. I think i agree with the previous comments about buying 1/2 size larger. I wear a size 11 (feet are actually 10.75").....and an 11.5 seems to be the right size.

I liked them right away. They slip on with very little effort and while the heel does not seem quite secure, it seems to stay put. I logged about 100 feet of jogging around my kitchen and decided I would "probably" keep them.

Next trial was an indoor "boot camp" fitness class that I attend thrice a week as cross training. These shoes aren't really built for this but I wanted some impact without wearing them outside and making them look used (Zappos only accepts returns of "unworn" shoes..weird). Normally I wear Reebok Nano for this because they are good with all the lateral movements, etc. Surprisingly, these were fine. Not perfect...but fine. The light weight was appreciable on the 1000th jumping jack. I probably will go back to Nanos for class, but these passed test #2.

So finally....can I run in these? I decided "yes"....yes I can.

And I did.

Ten miles over the weekend and my feet and joints feel just fine. Most of the miles were slogging along chatting with my running partners, but I also burn't the carbon off the plugs for the last 1/4 miles of my runs....cruising along at a sub 6min/mile. These felt great in both scenarios....slow jog and quick trots. They definitely feel more solid than the Torins and are less weight (and WAY cooler to look at).

Is ten miles too soon to judge? Maybe....but my instinct tells me that these are the shoe I had been looking for. If I find any negatives over the next few weeks, I'll update.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Running for the First Time!, October 31, 2013
I have only put about 15 miles on these, but I love them, they are so lite and comfortable. However, the zero drop does make you feel like you are working some muscles for the first time. You can't go wrong with these.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just get the One 2s, comfy but loose in the ankle. order a half size larger, October 17, 2014
Comfy but loose in the ankle which made lacing tricky in the midfoot/forefoot having to continually adjust them. So anytime saved in the transition will be lost having to stop to adjust . I think I one 2 would have been a better buy. For reference I am flat footed but a midfoot/forefoot striker. I'm still putting miles in I want to love the shoe but still my pearl izumis N0 are much better fit, lighter and just feel faster.
I wear a 10 in all shoes but had to go a half size up. They are easy to get on and off but with laces that dont really fit and a "dead feeling" shoe ......meh. this may be great for sprint TRIs but really nothing else.
Update: 10-31-2014

So I've had these so far and maybe put 100 miles on them and the foot bed is already breaking down dont get me wrong the shoe is still comfy to walk in but I cant imagine this even as a race only shoe to be a good. now literally after mile 2-3 of any run I can feel the impact only on one spot on my foot. not sure if being 172 lbs doesn't help

Now that have the One 2s lets see if they can last more than 100 miles.

If you are split on this honestly get the One 2s or the pearl Izumis if you want a low drop fast cushioned shoe.

Pearl Izumi - Run Men's EM Road N 0 Running Shoe
Altra Men's One2 Running Shoe

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware, October 6, 2014
These shoes are small fitting. Choose at least one size larger than your regular shoes.
If I've known this earlier I wouldn't have bought them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for racewalking! But buy them 1 full size larger!, August 7, 2014
G. Davis (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I normally wear a 13. A 14 in this shoe fits the same way. I have to give it to the Altra people though, their little sizing app told me to do that and they were right. This shoe is supposedly made for triathletes, but it's great for racewalking. Racewalkers need zero heel drop + a flight, flexible shoe. We often use "running flats". But since I discovered Altra, I have 4 pairs of their shoes. This one I wear for racewalking 3 days a week, 5-7 miles a time, and my feet and legs feel great afterward. Highly recommend them for this particular purpose.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some what small. My toes touch the toe of the sneaker. Over all the with is what I was looking for. A different color , white ., June 26, 2014
Some what small my toes touch the front of toe. The with is what
I was looking for. Color a little busy, getting slots of comments. Don't know if this is good or bad?

5.0 out of 5 stars Run Small, Order 1/2 to a full size larger, December 16, 2013
Great shoes. I have slightly narrow feet and these seem to run normal to slightly wide, so I had to snug way up to fit right, but I really like them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Shoe Even for Heavy Runners, September 19, 2013
Starting my running program for weight loss at 320 lbs was not as painful as in the past due to this excellent shoe! They do run about 1 full size smaller than expected so add a size when ordering. I really do love the cushion as well as the superior light weight and slip on technology! Excellent shoe!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap quality, July 23, 2014
Good show fits comfortablely when running ordered a size up but feels like cheap material... Too high of a price for actualy quialty of the shoe... Just noticed part of the layering on the toe part is already peeling off and lase cap came off when trying to tighten. Used shoes for only 2 days

Altra Men's 3-Sum Running Shoe