4.0 out of 5 stars Good digital frame
Published on May 25, 2010 by Kat lim Ruiz Kuan

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware: new version since Dec. 2010 has less internal memory
I have bought three of the Aluratek ADMPF108F since March 2010 and the latest one I purchased from J&R on Dec. 1st 2010 came distinctly different from the prior two bought directly from Amazon. Mainly:

1. The back casing is more rounded and sleeker. The LCD is notably brighter and more crisp which was nice.

2. The leg changed to a cylinder rod you...
Published on January 16, 2011 by Nanotubeman

4.0 out of 5 stars Good digital frame, May 25, 2010
This review is from: Aluratek ADMPF108F 8-inch Hi-Res Digital Photo Frame With 512MB Built in Memory (Black) (Electronics)
I purchased it to sit on a desk in my living room, and the looks are quite good. It indeed looks like a digital frame, though it doesn't look cheap nor plasticky. The border is glossy and black. The images are very brilliant, and the size is perfect, not too big not too small (I being a technophile, wanted the ViewSonic 15" inch at 150$ :) but that would've look too over the top).

As for the ease of use, the controls are all in the back, and once you memorize them you don't have to look back to know what you are pressing. The buttons are not perfect, the button feedback is kind of hard (so it's not like pressing your pc keyboard), you could say a little cheap, but ok in the end. It's not that you'll use it everyday.

The software is good, not apple-like, but it does what you need. However, what I would improve is the font of the letters. They look good but it could be better. They are kind of thin (try using an Asian font in Word and type english text, and it's very much like that). I would've loved a Tahoma or Verdana or something more readable.

It has calendar and alarm which I won't use but it's neat to have them.

Now, be aware. The frame DOES NOT rotate the pictures when they are portrait. One thing I have to verify 100%: whether my camera sets the portrait bit in the JPEG or not. I'd say it does, so the blame is on the frame. But let's say my answer is 90% sure, it doesn't rotate.

About the price it was around 50$ so it was good I believe.

UPDATE: It does rotate the pictures, I had to configure it correctly. My bad. One thing that I noticed though is that sometimes the screen freezes and remains colored green. I believe this is because a picture file is somehow corrupt, but can't seem to find out which one is it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware: new version since Dec. 2010 has less internal memory, January 16, 2011
Nanotubeman (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews

2. The leg changed to a cylinder rod you screw-in. Not much complaint there.

3. The software has a more win-7 like interface which is a tad more difficult to navigate than the old one.

4. The mini-USB port is gone. Currently the only ports are 1 SD slot and 1 USB female. As before the USB female is for inserting your thumb drive with pictures. Problem is how do we copy pictures from our PC to the internal memory now that the mini-USB is gone? I found out the hard way that tucked in the menu->settings->general settings->USB->Connect to PC/Thumb drive needs to be set correctly to allow this to happen. Needless to say none of it is covered by the manual. The box did come with a USB male-male cable for that.

5. However after all the ordeal I found out there is only 303 MB free space on the internal memory. There is one sentence on the manual that did say the internal memory can be less than advertised due to some software installation. But 200 MB a quite a big chunk less than what the big 512 MB printed on the box. I felt cheated as I was buying these frames to send off to grand parents of my kids so the internal memory was an important feature. The two older models both produce 512MB of free space without a problem. And all three share the same model# and packaging.

That said I still love using this frame and I think Aluratek makes one of the best software for digital frames from my experience.

+ The 'cropped' mode is very nice for portrait mode pictures. It enlarges the picture so part of the top and bottom is cropped but most in the middle is displayed with minimal black bars to the left and right. I returned a couple of other brand frames simply for lacking this feature (think a tiny portrait image in the middle of a giant frame).
+ 4:3 is great balance for both landscape and portrait pics.
+ If you have subfolders it goes through them one by one and display all images. Again beats some silly design in other brands where you have to put pictures in the root folder.
+ Completely customizable picture-picture delay time and turn-on/off timer time.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to use and incredble image, September 4, 2010
We had a digital frame already and then upgraded to this one with more built-in memory. It is amazing. Was incredibly easy to put the pictures on (drag and dump) and the image quality is crystal clear. I have over 230 pictures on mine and it is only half full. A family member saw ours and is now going to get one as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, March 5, 2010
Right out of the box, this frame was very easy to use. The picture is wonderful. It was hard to find a digital frame that was not wide screen, since I don't take wide screen (panoramic) photos. The bezel size is great - not too big. Price is about right. I would buy this again in a heartbeat!

1.0 out of 5 stars Remote doesnt work, July 28, 2010
I bought this item from Fry's electronics. Even though the resolution is good, remote doesn't work at all. You can only switch on/off or navigate from one icon to another using remote, nothing else. Remote sux big time. I returned this item. I would strongly suggest Aluratek to test the remote functionality before releasing it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Most difficult digital camera to use!!!, February 20, 2011
I have spent over 8 hours trying to get some photos on this frame for my 84 year old sister. I still do not have them on properly. They will come on in doubles or triples or miss at least 20 photos that I thought I tranfered. It is absolutely the worst product I have ever purchased on Amazon. I have tried both the USB drive and the connection through the PC. It has caused me so much stress, that I actually now have a migraine headache from it. The directions even in English are a clear as mud.VERY USER UNFRIENDLY!

1.0 out of 5 stars A very poor product., May 1, 2010
Purchased two (2) of these from Amazon. Arrived well packed and with all parts. All I could do ON BOTH was load pictures. The controls only move the 'cursor' but do not allow one to start or set any functions. E-mailed to Aluratek's customer support but never got a reply. Sent both frames back to Amazon and received replacements. Same problem; the OK button does not work. After 48 h got hold of Aluratek support who could not resolve the problem with out consulting with engineers. Second set of frames returned to Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage. Total Garbage., December 22, 2010
Out of the box it was a complete fail. No response to menu commands. Couldn't accomplish anything. Was to be a holiday gift with images pre-loaded. SO GLAD I discovered what a piece of garbage this unit is in time to replace with a better item.
For the price of this unit there should be some level of performance. If I spent 12 dollars I could understand... but not 50!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good picture quality, Overall could be improved..., April 6, 2011
Ok, so it looks good, and plays well... I'm a bit technical, so little things are sometimes important to me...

What I didn't like:

- 512MB was actually 300MB usable (I called support to confirm)
- No internal battery, so Date/Time reset when unplugging (every time ;( )
- Factory default mode is set to UDISK, so guess what, if you want to use your USB to transfer files, you have to go back to settings and change it to PC mode. (again annoying if you're going back and forth testing it)

I would recommend it to the average user who just have it plugged in the whole time, and not play with the settings. (i.e. grandparents)

Aluratek has the potential but it's the little things that make me look at other brands...

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 2 months!, September 27, 2011
Gave this to my parents as a gift. What a lousy gift it turned out to be! After 2 months it just stopped working. Tried to contact their customer service which is non-existent! Only way I could even talk to someone about this was to pay up front! Are you kidding me?

Don't waste your time with this!