4.0 out of 5 stars Good with Videos
Published on March 29, 2010 by Jim H.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great picture but a few BIG flaws
I don't do a lot of these consumer reviews, but I feel I've gotta chime in here as there's a few big flaws in this player that I haven't seen anyone mention.

Published on November 11, 2010 by BradG

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good with Videos, March 29, 2010
Jim H. (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aluratek Cinepal APMP100F Personal Media Player (Electronics)
I have just purchased this unit and find that it works real good with videos. So far I have tried it on .MP4 files (downloaded using Firefox DownloadHelper) and it plays these files perfectly. I have also tried it on .AVI files downloaded with Torrent, and it plays those fine too. It will not play .FLV files at all. It also plays .MOV and .AVI files from my digital cameras.

It does remember the last position in the file and if you turn of the unit and return later, it asks you if you want to start at the last location it stopped.

It does not offer the ability to speed up the playing of the video.

As for MP3, it plays the files just fine. But it fails to do a couple of things I would like to see:

1) I would like it to remember the last location and start the file from that location. Instead, it always starts MP3 files from the beginning. This is not useful for Podcasts.

2) It does not offer ability to speed up play back with MP3 files. This would be real useful for Podcasts also.

3) It does offer the ability to fast forward through a file, but control is coarse and difficult to find a particular spot in the file.

I have looked at some .JPG pictures, and they look real good. It does display a thumbnail page of pictures so you can pick the one to look at.

I have tried this player with both a 8GByte SDHC card, and with a 8GByte USB Flash Drive, and it works perfectly. I also tried connecting to a 1TBype USB drive with lots of video files. It took a long time to display any files and I never did get it to play. I suspect it was overwhelmed by the size of the drive.

I have not yet tried it with any eBooks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but with a warning to audiophiles, April 11, 2010
Pros:
Very Nice Picture, Expandable Storage, Lots of formats supported, and very compact.

Cons:
Picky on it's "Supported" formats, does not support un-drm'd m4v files, Movies I encoded with divx are a toss-up, Prop-rod in back does not work very well, very narrow viewing angle, no HDMI, photos get messed up when you rotate (better to do it before you load them) and Incredibly Small Headphone-Jack

Other Thoughts:
Nearly half of the movies I played on my Archos 500 in divx format would not play on this re-encoded them in "generic" divx file and normal Mp4 in both CDM and HB and they now work. The worst part of this player is the small-small headphone jack. It will only accept a regular cheapo set of headphones. I tried my Shures, my Bose, and a couple of extenders. I had to take a dremel and a file to a Shure extender to shave it down enough to work. Didn't want to try modifying the player it's self yet.

Hope this helps. Otherwise much nicer to watch shows on it's 8.9 inch screen.

UPDATE 04-16-10
I had a family video I shot with a Hi-Def Camera. It came in at 4.38GB so I couldn't load it on the Cinepal, my flash drive, or a 16Gb card as they were all FAT32 formatted. I formatted another 16Gb card as NTFS and it read it just fine! Yeah!!!! HD-not a problem

3.0 out of 5 stars Great picture but a few BIG flaws, November 11, 2010

Nearly all of my movie files are .MP4 files. This player HATES MP4 files! If you stop playback, or even just pause it, when you re-start the lip-sync is WAAAAYYYY off. I mean way off, by up to several seconds in some cases.

I've experimented with a few different formats and found that .MOV files and also .MKV files seem to hold sync, but this is a pretty huge problem as .MP4 files a so common.

Also: you must make your rips pretty small, like 600-800kps, or they WILL NOT play back properly. Again, my movie files were compressed down to around 1.2 gigs each, which was around 2000kps, I think. These WOULD NOT PLAYBACK without stalling or skipping.

These are both fairly large issues and Aluratek should, at the very least, inform you of the best formats to use so that you don't take off for a week's vacation (like we did) with 8-gigs of movies for your kids that end up not playing back!

One last thing, which has been mentioned, but I feel is really lame is the "proprietary" output jacks for audio and video. By "proprietary", I mean that hardly any off-the-shelf cable will work with the audio and video outputs because they are sunk into a very, very thin surround in the player's body. Yes, they do include cables with the unit (and props for that) but that does you NO GOOD for your headphones (unless you're using a pair of Apple iPod or iPhone earbuds), and if you lose the included cables, or forget them, you're going to have a very hard time finding ones that will fit.

Oh yeah, and my remote just completely STOPPED WORKING after about a couple weeks. (Yes, the battery is still good.) This is a pain since the controls are pretty hard to navigate.

If you sort this stuff out then, yes, this is a pretty nifty player.

PROS: Gorgeous screen, very light, great playback with proper formats, easily expandable (SD card) memory, easy to load media from your computer to both the native memory and SD card, good selection of included cables.

CONS: Several popular movie formats DON'T playback properly, you will probably need a hard-to-find adapter to use your headphones, navigation controls are a little difficult to use, my remote broke almost immediately

SUMMARY: There's not a lot of options at this price-point, so it still might be a pretty good buy. If Aluratek had just included normal output jacks AND made it clear what sort of video files you needed for playback, then I could probably have given it four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars King of the PMPs, September 4, 2010
John David Carter (UNION CITY, GEORGIA, US) - See all my reviews
I'll keep this short and sweet.

I have had at least half a dozen PMPs, all chosen after carefully comparing the price/performance with the current competition. My previous two were the Cowon Q5W ( with a 5" display ) and the Machspeed Trio V7000 ( with a 7" display ) - both of which I purchased on Amazon. If you see a pattern, yes my eyes are aging faster than the rest of me ( Although one of my favorites is still the Insignia NS-8V24 with its dinky 2.4" screen - say bluetooth headphone support, something that I wished the Cinepal had ).

The Aluratek Cinepal APMP100F Aluratek Cinepal APMP100F Personal Media Player with its 8.9" screen really fits the bill, and the visual quality is as good as or better than every other PMP that I have owned. The audio doesn't get loud enough for my tastes without headphones, but either way the quality of the sound is quite good. Now for the best part, the Cinepal played everything that I put on it except .wmv files. That includes video files with extensions of .m2ts, .mp4, .mov, .avi, and .mkv, that were encoded using video codecs such as mpeg4, h264, divx, and xvid, and audio codecs including mp3, ac3, and acc. It even plays dvd vob files and rm/rmvb files. Last but not least, I have played videos ranging in all resolutions up to and including 1080p, and it plays subtitles ( I have tried both .srt and .ssa formats ) in four selectable colors although they would look much better if the three non-black ones had black outlines.

Better yet, it does usb OTG, which in layman's terms means that with the *included* ( all cables *are* included ) mini usb to usb female adapter you can plug in and play files from usb thumb drives and self-powered external hard drives. Although too many files may overwhelm it, I have put several thousand picture type files ( manga scanlations ) on the internal flash, along with some of my favorite .mp3s, saving my 32gb SDHC card for videos...

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay player, but keep expectations real (for the price), January 24, 2011
MW (Miramar, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
There are two versions (as of this writing) of this device from Aluratek: this model, the APMP100F, which is no longer manufactured, and a newer version, the APMP101F.

The differences in the two, from what I can find, are that the newer model's screen is about an inch less in diameter, but it has a higher resolution of 1280 X 678 as compared to this one at 1024 X 600. This model boasts 6 hours of video playback time and has a 5000mah battery. The newer model has a 2800mah battery and claims 4 hours of video playback.

The only HD video that this model does not list that the newer one does list is Xvid, but some reviewers for this model have stated that it will play that format (I have not tried it).

Lastly, this model comes with a remote control, but the newer model does not. Since you will probably most always have the player at arm's length, I am not sure if this is important, but some people who have reviewed the APMP101F have listed this as a drawback.

You'll also note complaints about the recessed headphone jacks in this model; the newer model does not have this design problem. To get around this design flaw, one great little add-on item I found is this device:Belkin Rockstar Multi Headphone Splitter I was able to purchase it for around $7 with shipping included from a very well-known online auction site. It not only includes a patch cable that fits nicely into the jack, but it will also allow several people to plug in their headphones at the same time, thus allowing multiple viewers.

I bought the Aluratek because I also own a WD HD Media Player and I have converted a number of my Blu-ray movies to mkv format for viewing off of a portable hard drive. I should mention that I ONLY bought it for this; I didn't place any importance on it as an MP3 player, an ebook reader, or a photo viewer.

I thought that this would be a great way to take my movies with me when traveling on business trips, and when taking the kids on vacation. Has it worked? Well, sort of yes and sort of no.

In a nutshell, from my experience, it will play my mkv video files perfectly unless they are over 6GB, or thereabouts. Once they are over that size, the video tends to stutter around every 30-45 seconds. It will only stutter for a split second, but it is noticeable and annoying nevertheless. Files at 6GB or less play beautifully. I have subtitles embedded in the files, and they also play with no problem. I also have larger files in the mpg format, and they seem to play better. This includes family footage taken in HD.

I have put the same files on a USB flash drive and on a SDHC card, and the files play the same on each. Interestingly, I have also managed to attach a 500 GB portable hard drive (meaning powered through the USB connection), and if the Aluratek is plugged in, it will recognize the hard drive and list the files to play, in this case over 18 mkv and mpg files. Sometimes I have to turn it on a couple of times, but with persistence it will recognize the drive and will display the movie files, ready to play. If the Aluratek is not plugged in, forget it. It will choke and then refuse to power up. If it is already powered on (via its battery) it will shut down. It simply doesn't have enough battery power to run the portable drive, which is really no surprise. Note that the same, larger movie files stutter on all three storage devices, which tells me it's the Aluratek unit that has the issue, not the attachment.

Here are its best features, from my perspective:

1. As other have noted, beautiful, large screen. I would really like to compare this one side-by-side to the newer, higher resolution model to see if there is a noticeable difference.
2. Hard to complain about the price for what you get.
3. It plays HD video files! (and in a number of formats, including mkv) I have not had any issues with sound or with the sound being in sync with the video.
4. It feels fairly durable to me.
5. It has a remote included, which even when it is sitting right in front of you, comes in surprisingly handy.
6. It comes with all needed cables and a nice sleeve for storage, albeit without much padding.
7. It plays embedded subtitles. Note that to change their color, size, etc you need to activate the options menu while a video is playing; you can only do this while it is playing. It took me a while to figure that out.

Here are the not so good aspects:

1. The instructions are abysmal; I'm not sure why they even bothered. Most of the functionality you will have to learn by trial and error. By the way, don't touch the TV out button...everything goes black until you re-power.
2. No firmware updates (I checked the site), although there is a menu item for that. This makes me question if there will be any ongoing product support.
3. Many larger files stutter and do not play smoothly, as noted above.
4. It will NOT play AVCHD files straight off my HD camcorder (mts/m2ts format). It plays one file for about a second, then the screen flickers and it freezes.
5. No HDMI connectivity, but I don't really care about that so much. It does have component out, with the required cable, which is all I really need, if that.
6. Poor quality control; see below.

With the first unit I ordered, the small battery charge icon on the home screen would never fill up; it would only get to around ¾ full. Worrying that the battery might not be fully charging, I returned it for a replacement, and the second unit did not have this issue.

However, with the second one, there was a hard grain of something (sand-sized, tiny rock, I guess) under the screen protector, stuck to the plastic screen. When I removed it, a small, pin-sized hole was in the screen. It did not really affect the picture, but it bothered me nonetheless.

Because of these quality issues, and because of the limited playback of the video files I tried, I ended up returning the second one for a refund. I've decided to save my money for an HD-quality netbook instead of this device; although they cost 3-4 times more, I prefer to go that direction just to get a more solid unit with more features.

Sorry for the long-winded review, but I tried to answer every question I had when I was considering buying it, plus share my own experience...I hope it helped!

3.0 out of 5 stars Info for car back seat viewing, April 8, 2011
If you're planning to use it on your car's back seat for kid's road entertainment, then read on.

I use the DBTech Universal Car Headrest mount to mount it on the back of the seat. It works ok and you can read my review on this headrest mount.

The unit doesn't come with a car charger. So I have to take it out of the car every week for charging. Good thing the battery life is decent, about 4 hours total.

"Daddy, it's a mirror!" The unit is very glossy and reflective. Depending on the sun angle, it can either ghost the movie, or become totally unusable. You might want to buy some sun shades for the rear window to block out the sunlight. It's good for the kid anyways.

The volume is way too low for the noisy road. This is understandable to keep the device thin. I connected the 3.5mm port into my car's cassette adapter. It works fine. On a newer car that has an AUX input, the sound is awesome.

The remote control is more intuitive to use, but it doesn't work from the back of the player. Too bad because that's where I am in the car. After a while, the controls on the top become a reflex.

It has a little kick stand for table viewing, so I sometimes take it along into the restaurants, etc. so that the kid can sit still.

The device is very thin. It's only about 1/2 inch thick at the edge and about 5/8 inch thick at the middle, because of the bulging back. That's great for travel. It goes where my kids go. I'm so glad that I could finally got rid of my Sony 8" portable DVD player, which is double as thick and is about double the weight too. That's not counting the big stack of disks that I must carry along. I had a 16GB Lexar SD card in it, which together with the internal memory, store about 15 movies (standard def movies encoded in MKV format). If it weren't for this player, I would have to carry 15 DVD's with me, which is a big stack, not to mention that the DVD's also scratch each other on bumpy roads and become useless after a while.

The screen resolution is sensational. It's the best I've seen in a portable player, maybe except for the iPad 2. Viewing angle is good side-to-side, but is bad vertically. If your eyes are below it, you won't see much of anything. If your eyes are centered on it, the top edge look darker. If you're any where above it, then it looks good. This is typical of any TN LCD monitor out there.

It can resume the movie at the last stopped location. I can also fast forward the movie at multiple speeds, or jump to a particular time. These things work on just about any movie format I tried: VOB, mkv, mp4, mpeg-2.

You'll need to be computer savvy to load movies into it. If you ripped movies out of a DVD, the unit can play the resulted VOB files directly. Just load the first VOB, and the player knows to pick up the next VOB all the way until the end of the movie. You can use the freewares like HandBrake or Avidemux to compress movies into mkv or mp4 formats (H.264 compression), which shrink your movie down to a quarter of the size. Doing that will quadruple the SD storage capacity. Movies out of my camera (AVI) and TV capture card (MPEG-2) work fine on it. Some high definition MPEG-2 recorded at high quality (high bit rate) play very choppy, perhaps because of dropped frames from the slow SD card or slow internal processor.

It survived two drops from about 3ft, down to wood floor and down to concrete. Nothing is broken, except for a minor cosmetic scratch.

The bottom line is that this unit isn't really designed for car usage, but there's really nothing better out there. Portable DVD players are big and ugly, headrest players are too small because of headrest size, roof mounted DVD players will damage the car and need professional installation, iPad/tablets are too expensive. Until anyone can take today's technology into the car's back seat, I have to claim this is the best device for the purpose.

Update on 4/29/2011

I found that the card reader on this player is very slow. It reads and writes about 6MB/s max. I have a couple SDHC cards (one Lexar class 6, one Sandisk Extreme class 10) that can read and write at 18MB/s to 21MB/s on an external Kingston card reader, but they slow down to a crawl when I plugged them onto this player.

What that means is that you shouldn't bother buying expensive fast SD cards. No point to it.

Update on 7/6/2011

The screen is now dead. I dropped my backpack, having the Aluratek player inside, down to wood floor from only about 18 inches height. Even though it's a smaller crash this time, the unit broke because of a different drop angle. Now I have to agree with everyone else that the screen is fragile. Now that it broke, I pulled out the warranty card and found it was good for only 120 days. Maybe Aluratek knows how fragile this is. The funny business is that the box says 1 year warranty, but that's only a straight face lie. So while dropping it was my fault, I'm taking off 2 stars for the bad warranty, the lie, and the poor build.

If you don't move it around much, it's still a good purchase.

I'm replacing this player with a tablet instead. When I bought this Aluratek player 8 months ago, there weren't any cheap tablet around, but now there are many good Android-based tablet options.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can finally have a nice dinner out!, November 26, 2010
AaronR (United States) - See all my reviews
I have a 2 year old. This product is by far the best $99 I've spent in a while. It was purchased for my child to take with us on an international trip and play videos. It was perfect. I did not want a heavy, clunky, portable DVD player. I also did not really want to invest in a more expensive piece of equipment such as an Android based Archos device. Additionally, most newer devices are touch screens. I really did not want a touchscreen as I'm sure things would get unintentionally triggered by a small child. For my needs, this device was ideal. It mesmerized my child with audio and video of all the favorites: Elmo, Calliou, etc. It worked so well, that we have even braved a night or two out at "nicer" restaurants. As anyone with a 2 year old will tell you, taking them to a white linen restaurant can often be an exercise in futility combined with unplanned take-out. Since this purchase, I have a 2 year old that will sit without a hint of complaint for a nice meal in quieter restaurants. Since I bought this for movie play back only, I have not based this review on any of the other features. For video play back alone, it is stand-out product.

The things I really like about this device:
- It is very simple to move files to the on-board memory. Plug it into a computer USB and it recognizes it as drive (though the device needs to be on)
- It uses standard SDHC expansion memory for even more files.
- It has a headphone jack
- It has an adapter to use a regular USB thumb drive
- It plays standard VOB DVD files (that you can get with a certain Slysoft product) very well
- Even at 60% compression (with the same software mentioned above), the video files look great on the 8.9 inch screen.
- The screen is great looking and bright
- The battery lasts for a surprisingly long time. I did not time it but it played the entire Elmo in Grouchland movie and several episodes of Calliou without a problem.
- You can use the pre-installed, protective film as...well...a protective film. Don't peel it off. It works great and is transparent.
- It came with ear buds, all possible cables, adapters in addition to a remote
- The speaker is loud and usable in quiet environments

The things I really do not like about this device:
- The input for headphones is ineptly surrounded by the plastic bezel of the device in such as way that there is little chance any off the shelf headphone jack will have enough clearance to fit. You do get a set of ear buds (with almost no excess rubber at the jack) that come with it but I wanted kid's headphones. I ended up taking a razor blade to cut off some rubber around the headphone jack of the replacement headphones so that it would clear the plastic bezel of the device. It worked fine and probably is a better idea than trying to Dremel out the headphone input on the device. This structural oversight was frustrating but not a deal-breaker given the otherwise great video performance and low cost.
- The kickstand is woefully inadequate. It would have made more sense to put a second one on back of the device at the other side. It simply will not support the device reliably on anything but a rigid surface. For example, the device tends to fall over if the kickstand is used to put the device on a sofa.
- It is not instant on. It does not take a long time to turn on but you have to sit through about 15-18 seconds of delay and an Aluratek graphic before you can do anything.
- Occasionally, I would restart a movie file and there would be no sound. I would then stop it and restart the file and sound would be there. It only happened once in a while and only with a restart from the last position. Again, not a deal-breaker.
- The HDTV output is yellow on the device and the AC input is black. However, the AC plug is yellow. Go figure? Not a big deal since the AC plug will not fit into the HDTV output, but still; how hard would it have been to get that right?
- There is a sliding "lock" switch at the top so that if the lock is pushed away from the other buttons, it locks them. This was a little frustrating at first since I did not read the manual and my device shipped in the lock position. Just remember to slide the lock toward the other buttons to be able to use them.

4.0 out of 5 stars good media player for little kids, August 3, 2010
rand "rand" (Honolulu, Hawaii United States) - See all my reviews
i think the other reviewers have covered the basics so i won't repeat what they've already said. i'll only add that i compared a bunch of media players and chose this one because it was for my daughter (6 yrs old) and i wanted something that she could watch while i'm driving her from A to B--and for you parents reading this, you know that's OFTEN!

rather than being bored, she's often totally engrossed in whatever movie she happens to be watching. and when we're in a situation where we have to wait for a while, the media player is great cuz once again, she doesn't have to get antsy cuz she enjoys watching kids flicks (her favorite right now is toy story 3).

the picture quality is very good and the sound is good. (i usually let her use headphones. small issue here: sometimes, there's no stereo sound; it requires some twisting and turning; then when it hits the right spot, it'll change from mono to stereo sound; obviously some kind of connection issue.)

for those with an ipod touch or ipad, i'll say that i really like the weight and feel of it. this media player feels "cheap" by comparison because it's so light; makes me feel like it's made of cheap plastic. on the other hand, it's just my subjective impression. if it lasts a long time, i'll be happy. only time will tell.

i've never used it for music or pictures or book reading so i won't comment on that. wifi? sure, it'd be great but like others have said, the price would be much higher.

i'm lucky cuz i bought this with a specific purpose and it fulfills that purpose very well. i've had it for about 2 months now and so far, so good. i hope it won't break and will work for a very long time.

good luck with your decision and purchase...

1.0 out of 5 stars Great, but stopped charging, August 31, 2010
Overall the unit worked great when it worked, but less than 1 week in the unit would not charge, and there is little information available on Aluratek's website, you can't even open a ticket for it because it's not listed as a product.

When it worked it was great, but the fact that it lasted 5 days doesn't make me want to exchange it for another one, will wait and see how Aluratek CS handles this, or will just return it to the store.

UPDATE: Boyfriend's LCD broke, the company offers a refurbished unit for almost the whole cost of new one, no way to fix, its really poor quality, DO NOT BUY this, if something goes wrong company will NOT help you, seriously you'll end up spending $250 when you have to buy a second one, wait till something else comes out, but save your money!

Also battery life was 4h on the LOWEST backlight, highest backlight got 2.5-3 hours

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than a portable DVD, February 16, 2011
Very cool device if you are willing to invest the time. I use a windows home server to store all my dvd's. It allows me to play movies and tv shows over and over for the kids. If you have young kids you know that they can watch the same movie 50 times in a row. You also know that kids are TERRIBLE with dvd's. I got tired of mine getting destroyed so I bought a lifetime license for DVDfab and just save everything as an MKV file.

This unit replaced a portable DVD player our 4th portable we have had. You know what happens eventually they stop playing dvd's even though the displays continue to work fine.

There's allot to like here a compact package that features a huge screen, built in battery and can output HD to your tv. This thing has tons of features it can play movies, music, pictures. It can function as an Ebook reader comes with a remote control and accepts standard SD cards to expand its memory from 4gb to 36gb. (with a 32gb card)

I do have a few complaints. First I'm not thrilled with the buttons. They are small and are on the top of the unit. I would prefer a D pad that has up /down/ left/ right and enter buttons to navigate I would of even been ok if the unit was an inch taller to accommodate those buttons. The on screen menus aren't as nice as other devices out there and as others have said the piece of plastic that is meant as a kickstand is really cheap. Its nothing more than a 1/8" square piece of plastic that pops out of the back and supports the unit if its sitting on a desk or table.

The good

under $150
great display
excellent size
video output
4gb onboard memory
supports upto 32gb video card
Good tech support

the bad

button & menu layout
won't support anything more than 32gb sd cards. (some HD MKV files are 4-6gb
no video input to use just as a monitor
no user replaceable battery (my solution, buy the squaretrade 3 year extended warranty with ACCIDENT protection and just have them deal with it in a couple years)

All in all?

IF you are willing to create the video files this is a great way to play them while on the road or on the plane. BUT it is alot more work than just popping a dvd into a portable player.

At under $200 I think its a great investment $140 for the unit and $50 for a 32gb sd card)

I have 1 suggestion and 1 warning

First save your videos as MP4's or MKV files. use two pass encoding and keep your bitrate at about 1500. this produces good quality videos.

Secondly DON'T buy memory cards on ebay! they may be cheaper but they are mostly fake, cheap Chinese knock offs. Even the sellers that claim to be "US sellers" are jus buying bulk garbage from china and making a killing off it. check out new egg dot com.

I do computer networking and wiring and have made the mistake of buying cards for customers on ebay and have had to replace EVERY single card. I might have saved a few bucks up front but its cost me dearly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›