The Alvord Polk 127-1 right-hand spiral chucking reamer (also called a machine reamer) is a general purpose round shank tool made of high-speed steel with no finish or coating, and is most commonly chosen for reaming interrupted cuts. This tool can be used in a drill press, screw machine, lathe, or other good-quality toolholder.
Right-hand spiral reamers are useful for interrupted cuts and in blind holes. Spiral reamers prevent whole flute contact with the leading edge in an interrupted cut, as in a keyway. This prevents damage to the interruption and the reamer flute. Right-hand spiral style tools also pull chips away from the tip of the tool, instead of driving chips in front of the tool. Right-hand spiral reamers are also useful when reaming blind holes, since pulling chips out of the hole prevents clogging, which may cause tool damage.
For reamers in the 127-1 series with 0.0280 – 0.1561 inches diameter there are four flutes, for 0.1562 – 0.5220 inches diameter there are six flutes, for 0.5221 – 0.8820 inches diameter there are eight flutes, for 0.8821 – 1.1950 inches diameter there are 10 flutes, and for 1.1951 – 1.5000 inches diameter, there are 12 flutes. Tolerances are +0.0002 -0.0000 inches for all reamers in the 127-1 series except for those that are dowel-pin sized, in which case tolerances are +0.0000 -0.0002 inches.
Reamers are used to finish existing holes. When holes are created using common applications like drilling or punching they often have minute imperfections. Their roundness may be flawed, or their diameter may be slightly smaller than required. Reamers are made to exacting tolerances, so they can correct such errors and create precisely round holes of exacting dimensions. Reaming is often used before tapping screw threads. Reaming is often used before tapping screw threads.
Alvord Polk manufactures a broad family of cutting tools, brushes, and tooling components, following ISO 9001 standards for quality and environmental impact of their products. Their offices and manufacturing facilities have been located in the United States since 1881.