5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, July 30, 2000
By A Customer
This was an excellent book in it's own right but it helped me more than I can ever express. As an emergency worker suffering from depression and post-trauma stress for over a year, reading this book and finding so many similarities with what she went through after her ordeal, released something in me that I'd been resisting and helped me to decide to finally get the help that I need and deserve.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real life heroine, June 25, 2000
Becky (Rocky Mountain West) - See all my reviews
She is an outstanding writer and this is a wonderful story. She's really a hero and I don't think she even realizes it. She talks of pulling passengers from a burning plane like it's no greater feat than going to the grocery store to buy a box of Cheerios -- all in a day's work type of thing. Wonderful book, wonderful woman. I'm an EMT and am trained to save lives. She wasn't, but made it seem so routine. As a life-long flight-attendant wanna-be, my hat's off to Sandy. I also recommend reading "Hail Fire" by John Tielking, one of the surviving passengers of this crash. It is his account of the events and is an excellent book. He also mentions Sandy's amazing actions on that fateful day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You, Sandy!, May 30, 2004
This review is from: Am I Alive?: A Surviving Flight Attendant's Struggle and Inspiring Triumph over Tragedy (Hardcover)
As one of Sandy's passengers aboard Southern 242, I want to thank her for having the courage to write a book about her deeply personal experinces in dealing with the accident. She and her fellow stewardess, Cathy, did a great job under the most difficult circumstances. Without their initiative in preparing the passengers for an emergency landing at short notice and with no guidance from the cockpit, fewer of us would have survived. The pilots did their best to find a good place to land and the stewardesses did their best to protect us from injury. Sandy's story shows the price that can come with assuming the responsibility for so many people in a desperate situation. But she did it willingly and has forever earned high praise for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Book, September 21, 2006
Karin Bell (Jefferson, GA) - See all my reviews
One of my great aunts died as a result from flying debris in the Southern Airways Crash in New Hope, Georgia that Sandy Purl describes in great detail in this book. Several of my family members are mentioned and her book, as far as what happened on the ground when the crash occurred, is perfect to every last detail. The plane landed in my grandparent's front yard, basically, and I can remember what the crash site looked like the day after. Reading this book was very difficult for my grandparents, but that is to be understood. When I read this book, I gained a better undertanding of why things happen and I have such a tremendous amount of respect for Ms. Purl. I hope one day I can meet her and give her a hug.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, amazing story., October 3, 2011
The story is about a horrific airplane crash in New Georgia, and told from the viewpoint of one of the survivors. Many people who live in Georgia remember this tragic occurence decades later. It is an amazing and well told story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping and inspiring read..., January 8, 2014
Mary Margaret (Southern Maryland) - See all my reviews
The uplifting tone of "Am I Alive?..." still clearly resonates throughout this fascinating eye-witness account of Sandy Purl, the heroic Flight Attendant and one of the few survivors of the Southern Airways Flight 242 in New Hope, GA. Although the accident occurred in 1977, the book brings an immediacy to it's tale of not only horrific terror and grisly death, but to it's mesmerizing account of fearless rescue and hard-earned redemption. Purl, one of only two survivors from the doomed flight crew skillfully recounts her story here with breathtaking accuracy, and at times, hard to read grim facts that bring the reader into the scene as if one is living the terrifying descent and aftermath of the crash on that quiet and idyllic street in the tiny town of New Hope, GA. Sandy Purl's selfless acts helped save the lives of 20 of her passengers, but it's the loss of the 63 other passengers and 9 victims on the ground that threaten her sanity and her life for many months after. In her own and very candid words, Purl brings us with her through the crash, and her attempt to put her life back together with dizzying accuracy and palpable, anxiety-inducing details. It's her fight through "survivor's guilt" that victoriously culminates in her triumphant return to work, and the legacy of selfless service to others that Purl shares with exquisite tone and skill that make this book a must read and inspirational work of art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book--even after all these years, January 4, 2014
Yes a lot of years have passed since this crash occurred, but the incident and the story of a life afterward is still very relevant today. There are still planes crashing and people living with the aftermath, and there are still big company's trying to do a little "side step". It is very well written and great reading, especially for those aviation types.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have For Me..., August 8, 2013
I lost my sister in an airplane crash back in 1999...I'm a Flight Attendant, she was traveling on one of my passes...survivors guilt is a tough one, and reading this book really helped...Love It!!

4.0 out of 5 stars wish i could afford to buy the book, February 15, 2013
I wish I could afford to buy this book. I met Jerry Causey this past fall at an RV campground and was totally moved by his story and his spirit...he left me speechless .........

Used & New from: $2.63