3,174 Reviews
 (2,309)

Published 21 months ago by Nikita

3.0 out of 5 stars AHS Season 2
Published 18 months ago by Michelle Frankenfield

5.0 out of 5 stars This show is great. We've needed a good "horror" show on TV for awhile now., December 13, 2012
Season two of the American Horror story anthology is shaping up to be a "wtf" thrill ride. Well, not an edge of your seat roller coaster ride where you pee your pants or barf in your own face, but more like a nervous passenger in the car while your recently immigrated relative drives on 405 with their new license. You might be thinking, well...that doesn't sound pleasant, but to people like me who like this crap, it is very enjoyable. It is nice for once to not know what the hell is going on in advance, what to expect from the characters, to rely on the same song sung by a different singer over and over and over again in television and movies gets old quick. It's usually always the same damn drivel recycled, and thankfully that is not the case with this show.

Having a show where boy meets girl is not the center of the plot is nice as well. I can't recall a series where there is more than one "bad guy" and added to that developed characters you get sympathy for, save for maybe Dexter. Also a new thing is having different "bad guy" types/categories. For example you'll never see a show with zombies AND Psycho serial killers, especially not with Nazi evil scientists and slutty nuns. I mean call me crazy but even Dexter has drawn it's line of bridges it won't cross. This show doesn't care, it walks in the room and lays it's gigantic balls on the table and say's "See this, I'm doing it, because **** You, that's why"

I liked season one, it was completely different from this one, and that is something I also really like a lot. The anthological nature of the series is pretty cool, because honestly with that much chaos you can't keep it up without the show turning to poo. Also, The opening credits nerps me out, I feel like I am watching old scare tv from the early 90's late 80's, in the dark as a fragile minded preteen. Remember Elvira? Freakshow? Tales from the crypt? We've needed something new that follows those footsteps, the bastard child of the creepshow. Watch a few episodes, you might really like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars most disturbing show I have ever watched!, November 30, 2012
AHS is, by far, the most disturbing show that has ever been aired on cable and the only show I watch religiously. Even though I spend half the time watching through my hands, I absolutely love it and can't get enough! Wickedly AMAZING!

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch this NOW!, February 27, 2013
D. Porretto (New Orleans, LA USA) - See all my reviews
One of the best shows I've ever seen! Not for the faint-of-heart but soooo addictive. Once you start watching, you will consume the whole series like popcorn. Great acting, great story, don't miss it!

4.0 out of 5 stars I Had My Reservations..., October 19, 2012
I was so disappointed to learn that season 2 would not be continuing the Harmon family saga. As such, I came into this episode looking to find fault because surely you can't top what season 1 brought can you?

The fact is that this first episode has curbed some of my reservations, perhaps by bringing back a handful of the beloved first season cast, or maybe because it was a really well written and intriguing story in its own right.

The highlight for me this episode was most certainly Jessica Lange's performance. She seemed to help bridge the gap from old to new by providing a familiar air and a concrete performance, just as worthy of the praise which she received for last season's work.

All in all, out with the old, in with the new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jessica Lange Full Tilt-what a marvel, November 2, 2012
When Jessica Lange was lured into doing television, Drew Barrymore, who costarred on their first tv venture, said to her, "Just think, now a whole new generation of people have the opportunity to discover you." Indeed. I wonder how many viewers realize they are watching a first rate film actress, who was also one of the great beauties of her day. And boy, is she giving it her all. In this episode, although there are a lot of other events, Lange plumbs the depths of her nun, showing her anguish and guilt underneath her ironclad rule of the asylum. Specifically, the nun killed a child by running her over when she was in her partying days prior to being a nun. The only word for this is WOW.

Not that anyone else is a slacker. We now have a demon nun whom the devil crossed into during the exorcism. Our mad scientist is getting madder and now has Chloe Sevingy in his clutches, apparently long term. There is another attempt at escape by a trio during a wild storm. Plus in the future there is a bloodbath with our original two who opened the season.

If you like the horror genre, this is quite the feast.

note: further along in this season i was delighted to discover the incomparable Ian McShane had been hired to guest star in an episode. He plays a killer in a Santa Claus suit who goes around killing people during Christmas. He manages to make this so blackly comic that I watched it over and over again. He ends up in the asylum and he and Jessica Lange get into a brawl. Now here is an actor who is totally worthy of Lange's talent! Wow!!!!!! I would have paid the whole subscription fee just to see him!

Visit my blog with link given on my profile page here or use this phonetically given URL (livingasseniors dot blogspot dot com). Friday's entry will always be weekend entertainment recs from my 5 star Amazon reviews in film, tv, books and music. These are very heavy on buried treasures and hidden gems. My blogspot is published on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.

3.0 out of 5 stars AHS Season 2, March 3, 2013
The second season for me was sort of a disappointment. There were a few surprises but overall I enjoyed Season 1 a lot better. What was up with the whole alien theme? It didn't seem to fit and it seemed pointless. This season was all over the place. It didn't seem to know where it was going or have one central theme. Aliens, demonically possessed nuns, Nazi scientists, serial killers, the horrible beginnings of mental health treatments (labotomy/ECT/conversion or re-assignment therapy (gay/lesbian). It was all over the map...and what was up with the whole "Name Game" musical number. It seemed to not fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guilty Pleasure..!, November 30, 2012
This show is seriously the craziest stuff that I never would have thought would be allowed on television haha! Its so wrong.... but I'm so hooked!

4.0 out of 5 stars Had reservations, enjoyed it a lot!, October 20, 2012
*SPOILER FREE REVIEW*

I loved the first season a lot, every episode was on my must-watch list (the atmosphere it created, the pacing, the details, the way it weaved this intricate web of characters), it was honestly one of the most innovative and original shows on television.

So I went into this episode with reservations, worried that the creative spark and magic that the first season had was just a fluke...

But oh my god. It was amazing. They introduced a new cast of characters, and an extremely chilling new location, and I seriously thought this was just as good as the season 1 premiere. It was horrifying, titillating, mesmerizing, suprisingly sexy, and such an engrossing story.

If you're liked the first season, you'll love this. And if you haven't watched the first season of American Horror Story, go watch it, you won't regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sister Jude, November 1, 2012
I had not expected Sister Jude to become a sympathetic character, but it is happening. Much richer character arcs than I was expecting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Season 2 very different from season 1., January 24, 2013
If you loved the first season of American Horror Story, this may be a disppointment. Season 1 was simple, a great haunted house story. Season 2 is chaotic, has too many story lines (alien abduction, serial killer, nazi style experimentation, satanic possession, catholic nun and priest crimes) and sometimes pushes the limit of good taste. It seems as though the writers gave up quality for quantity and it just didn't hold my attention the way the first season did.

Rate and Discover Movies