Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on December 13, 2012
Season two of the American Horror story anthology is shaping up to be a "wtf" thrill ride. Well, not an edge of your seat roller coaster ride where you pee your pants or barf in your own face, but more like a nervous passenger in the car while your recently immigrated relative drives on 405 with their new license. You might be thinking, well...that doesn't sound pleasant, but to people like me who like this crap, it is very enjoyable. It is nice for once to not know what the hell is going on in advance, what to expect from the characters, to rely on the same song sung by a different singer over and over and over again in television and movies gets old quick. It's usually always the same damn drivel recycled, and thankfully that is not the case with this show.

Having a show where boy meets girl is not the center of the plot is nice as well. I can't recall a series where there is more than one "bad guy" and added to that developed characters you get sympathy for, save for maybe Dexter. Also a new thing is having different "bad guy" types/categories. For example you'll never see a show with zombies AND Psycho serial killers, especially not with Nazi evil scientists and slutty nuns. I mean call me crazy but even Dexter has drawn it's line of bridges it won't cross. This show doesn't care, it walks in the room and lays it's gigantic balls on the table and say's "See this, I'm doing it, because **** You, that's why"

I liked season one, it was completely different from this one, and that is something I also really like a lot. The anthological nature of the series is pretty cool, because honestly with that much chaos you can't keep it up without the show turning to poo. Also, The opening credits nerps me out, I feel like I am watching old scare tv from the early 90's late 80's, in the dark as a fragile minded preteen. Remember Elvira? Freakshow? Tales from the crypt? We've needed something new that follows those footsteps, the bastard child of the creepshow. Watch a few episodes, you might really like it.
44 comments|176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2012
AHS is, by far, the most disturbing show that has ever been aired on cable and the only show I watch religiously. Even though I spend half the time watching through my hands, I absolutely love it and can't get enough! Wickedly AMAZING!
on February 27, 2013
One of the best shows I've ever seen! Not for the faint-of-heart but soooo addictive. Once you start watching, you will consume the whole series like popcorn. Great acting, great story, don't miss it!
on October 19, 2012
I was so disappointed to learn that season 2 would not be continuing the Harmon family saga. As such, I came into this episode looking to find fault because surely you can't top what season 1 brought can you?

The fact is that this first episode has curbed some of my reservations, perhaps by bringing back a handful of the beloved first season cast, or maybe because it was a really well written and intriguing story in its own right.

The highlight for me this episode was most certainly Jessica Lange's performance. She seemed to help bridge the gap from old to new by providing a familiar air and a concrete performance, just as worthy of the praise which she received for last season's work.

All in all, out with the old, in with the new.
44 comments|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2015
... yet on the whole much more entertaining than the abject cliché that was 'American Horror Story' season one. Not that 'AHS: Asylum' isn't itself criss-crossed by many of the scare genre's well traveled roads-- serial slashers, skin collectors, deranged Nazi doctors, possessed nuns, deadly Santas, alien abductions, MacGyvered abortions, forced lobotomies, etc.-- or doesn't indulge in the kinds of carnal and theistic perversions only my 14-year-old paperboy could dream up (no, I don't have a paperboy; just making a point), but this time around the writers at least seem to know how ridiculous the material is, as evidenced by their ratcheting the tongue-in-cheek-humor and gratuitous-gore factors through the roof, and the director for the most part succeeds in visually stitching together all the blood-soaked parts. If the second season is lacking in anything, in fact, it's narrative discipline. With no fewer than a half-dozen plots and counterplots whirling around at any given time, long before the season is over you get that woozy, something-less-than-satisfied feeling of having hit the buffet table hard when you're too hungry to make intelligent menu choices (yes, your favorite foods are going in you, but at what cost to your GIT and, frankly, your sense of self-worth?). All that prologue notwithstanding, if you're in the mood for a profane and pustulant, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink-style kinkfest, you could do worse than 'AHS: Asylum.' 3 stars... and on to 'Coven'!
on November 12, 2013
I am in a quandary about season two. Season one was an addictively awesome trainwreck. In fact, season one is HAPPY compared to this season. Season Two will mess up your head for a while after you have finished watching it. This might be different if you watched one episode per week but I watched this in two days -- the last episode before I went to bed. Today I am depressed, my stomach hurts and exhausted from poor sleep. Maybe this is what the day after a drug binge would feel like because watching the entire season back to back is definitely an AHS binge which I now know should be watched in good measure. My concern also lies with the writers who are so out there that as a mother, I am worried for them. BUT they are so creatively out there, how can I criticize? This is supposed to be horror, after all.

The acting is superb and sucks you in, although I have to say I kept referring to Kit as "Tate" (from season one). And even though I had to keep saying out loud, "THEY ARE ONLY ACTORS. THEY ARE ONLY ACTORS" my mind would not wrap around that fact. Ug. I am a basket-case about this. I still don't think I liked it but it certainly grabbed me somehow. Maybe that was the plan all along? (Oh, if you think you will watch something happy to fix the damage in your head...ug, not gonna work. We put on "50 First Dates" afterwards and nope. Didn't help. Just FYI. Watch this early in the day. You will know what I mean after you see a few episodes.)
on June 16, 2015
Great story! Showed what thiings were really liked back in the early 1960's before the hippie revolution that was yet to come. Several diferent life stories converge in the Briar Hill Sanatorium. One young man kit is involved in an interracial RELATION SHIP. HIS WIFE IS SUPPOSEDLY KILLED BY SOME RACIST TRHUGS. Covered in blood and claiming aliens killed his wife he is hauled off othe sanatorium . Another reported who is Lesbian goes to investigate things and gets abducted as a patient. THe place is run by a power hungry monsignor , a mad alcoholic num and a former nazi doctor obsessed with medical experiments. On board is a psychiatrist who is a serial killer and uses the skin of his victims for lampshades. The storyu continues even after the two patients get out.Psycho killer and famous reporters. Showed howw bad mental institution really were and how corrupt some church officials can be. Watch this!
on November 30, 2012
This show is seriously the craziest stuff that I never would have thought would be allowed on television haha! Its so wrong.... but I'm so hooked!
on June 9, 2015
The other 3 seasons of American Horror Story were good, but Asylum blows them away. I would recommend watching the other 3 seasons first if you can, because you'll just be disappointed with them after watching Asylum. Its so good because its so bad. While Coven, Freak Show and Murder House were all good and different, they just pale in comparison. Asylum has about every bad thing you can imagine in a mid 60's Asylum where there was little oversight and few rules on how they operated. You have the sadist medical doctor, the secretive psychiatrist, the mean, stern warden and the possessed nun and thats not even including the inmates!
Jessica Lange is great in all 4 seasons, but Sarah Paulson is the real star of seasons 2-4, her role in season 1 was limited.
on February 16, 2013
**POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT**

Though I kept watching until the end, after about three episodes, I got tired of Season 2: it's too dark--literally--I had trouble seeing the action; too much gore (a self-inflicted, coat-hanger abortion, REALLY??); too much weird sci-fi; too much sadism (mommy rape? Yuck.); no real depth to the characters; and it lacked the sense of humor/quirkiness of the first season. I felt like I needed a shower after each episode.

The more I think about Season 2 of AHS, the more I think I'll be skipping Season 3. Life is too short, and it's grim enough already.