5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, coffee-table quality
This long-anticipated collection of Maddox's harsh criticism of children's drawings is, unlike the pathetic "artwork" produced by children, no disappointment.

The book itself is a work of art. It's not just a cheaply-printed gag book. All pages are printed in color with a glossy finish. The dust jacket has a slight raised texture for the picture frame...
Published on November 3, 2011 by A Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing one note joke
The Intro is good and there are some funny picture comments, especially about this own art, but it gets old fast. It's like a funny Saturday Night Live skit that got extended into a forgettable feature film with only a few good jokes. Maddox is normally hilarious. Thebestpageintheuniverse is great, and the Alphabet of Manliness is still in my bathroom reader stack. I...
Published on January 17, 2012 by E. Roche

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, coffee-table quality, November 3, 2011
This review is from: I Am Better Than Your Kids (Hardcover)

It has THREE HUNDRED PAGES, so it isn't just a printing of the drawings from the website. Yes, the classics are in there (such as the fire truck on the cover), but most of it is new unseen material.

The drawings being reviewed aren't just printed in the middle of a blank page. Instead, each piece of artwork is set amongst decorative toys appropriate for the topic (e.g., all of the vehicle drawings are surrounded by toy cars and other stuff). Maddox's commentary is neatly printed on legal paper within the image.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Modest Review of a Masterpiece, November 4, 2011
This review is from: I Am Better Than Your Kids (Hardcover)
"To be great is to be misunderstood."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1841

It is not often that a work of literature is as controversial as it is cautionary. When Mark Twain penned "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn," he illustrated the dangers of racial bias that, at the time, threatened to regress into a pre-Civil War mentality. During an era when the fear of totalitarian rule was near its peak, George Orwell's "1984" provided a glimpse into a future in which human rights were of no consequence. In "I Am Better Than Your Kids," Maddox treads on what is held by many as sacred ground to deliver a prophetic warning about the dangers of overindulging children with undeserved praise.

Our present day culture is quickly becoming a bottleneck to progress. Throughout history, we have grown as a species as the pioneers of previous generations passed their knowledge on to their progeny. Yet, this fundamental attribute of humans that distinguishes us from other animals is overwhelmingly lost on the majority as we observe a world mired by apathy and self-entitlement, spawned from a pervasive lack of appreciation for our journey through time. While it has been said that education begins at home, the author makes the case that perhaps the disingenuousness of parents with regard to their children is a fundamental flaw of our society. The artwork presented in his book is a mere sampling of the vast collective museum showcased on refrigerator doors throughout the civilized world: each new work as indistinguishably bad as the last, serving only to increase entropy as yet another uninspired caricature is hoisted up for all to see. Consequently, true individualism and originality are stifled by the reverberating echo of mouth-breathing ineptitude continuously reinforced by the prevailing, yet mendacious, consensus that everyone is a star. We are witnessing the withering of creativity. The final Renaissance of humanity has come and passed.

Some may criticize his book as a misopedic tirade. Others may disregard it as a frivolous and self-defeating satire that will ephemerally resonate with a juvenile demographic. Please do not subscribe to these single-minded, dismissive trains of thought. When the initial shock has passed, you will realize that "I Am Better Than Your Kids" is a magnum opus - a compilation realized only through years of painstaking work and meticulous editing. While it is undeniably humorous and bold, it contains a brilliant critique of society that is readily apparent to the astute reader amidst the tapestry of profanities. The author's candid approach toward the character conditioning of children is reminiscent of the ancient Spartan agoge system. He seeks to atone for the sins of a generation corrupted by Nickelodeon and MTV - restoring dignity to a world in which human empowerment has been stripped down to a touch-tone vote for a talent show contestant.

In the introduction, Maddox stresses the excessive use of the phrase "good job," proposing that gratuitous praise is the catalyst for the modern-day cesspool of cultural ingenuity. Perhaps such vacant speech has become T.S. Eliot's proverbial whimper proclaiming the end of our world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uproarious, November 3, 2011
Matt B (Arapahoe, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Better Than Your Kids (Hardcover)
This book is not just amusing; it is laugh-out-loud, side-splitting hilarity. I was only thirty pages into it and I had to put it down because I couldn't breathe. It surpasses Alphabet of Manliness and any work Maddox has ever put on his website.

If you're reading this book and didn't laugh, don't bother posting a negative review. Call your doctor and check your medical records because chances are you've had a lobotomy.

5.0 out of 5 stars How Do I Even Begin . . . . ., November 27, 2011
DaniBug (North Dakota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Better Than Your Kids (Hardcover)
First, (no one freak out when I say this) I had never heard of Maddox when I bought this book! Second, I bought it shearly on impulse. I was leaving a store when I saw the big red 'F'. Since I am a teacher, I had to pick it up. I read 2, yes 2 of his comments on kids art and immediately paid the $26 to take it home with me. I felt like a sucker and was sure my husband was going to freak, until I got home.

I have yet to finish the book because I repeatedly have to put it down from stomach pains and crying from laughing so hard!

I am both a parent of 8 and a teacher, so I laugh hysterically while I feel terrible guilt that I'm laughing at the work of sweet little children who did their very best to get an 'F'. I love the contrast! I think it makes me enjoy the book even more. I think of all those times I have said, "Oh, it's beautiful! What is it?!"

My 18 year old daughter and her friends abandoned a movie night to sit reading this book out loud to eachother from cover to cover. They laughed so hard I could hear them two floors up in our house.

This is a definite buy. Maybe you have to have a slight dark side to enjoy it, but truly, don't we all?!

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed so hard I spit!, December 12, 2011
This review is from: I Am Better Than Your Kids (Hardcover)
I just ordered this book from Amazon, so you might ask why I am writing a review. Well, today my husband and I were shopping in the bookstore for Christmas gifts that I had every intention of ordering on-line because I'm cheap and hate to pay full price. We were making our way to leave when I picked this book up. As I skimmed from page to page my laughter got louder and louder. The lady browsing next to me exclaimed "O.k. I have to know what you're reading that's so funny." Seeing that she was the straight-laced type, I quickly replied that she probably wouldn't find it amusing. As I continued reading I burst out laughing so hard I spit on the page! (Sorry, Barnes and Noble!) My husband was a little embarrassed and managed to get me out of the store before I ruined any more books. Needless to say the first thing I did when I got home was to order my own (not spit upon) copy. If the three minutes of hilarity that I spent in the store is any indication, I expect to thoroughly enjoy this book in my own home. Go and get your own germ-free copy today!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, just great, January 8, 2012
This review is from: I Am Better Than Your Kids (Hardcover)
An excellent book poking fun at the very terrible artwork of children, never before have I laughed so hard or so often after opening a brand new book.

5.0 out of 5 stars finally, someone who knows good artwork., January 2, 2012
This review is from: I Am Better Than Your Kids (Hardcover)
Honestly, it's about time someone made a book like this. Maddox knows good artwork, on account of how much crappy artwork he had to look at in order to write this book. Easily one of the most informative things I've ever read, even more so than those green signs on the highway telling me what exit is next. I don't need to know what crappy exit is coming up! Is it mine? No? Tell me when that one is coming up!

If you have kids, and want to inspire them to produce better artwork (or even schoolwork in general, as there are some short essays in here as well), this would make a great holiday gift. Show them what happens to people who write and/or draw crap. It gets published.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a disgrace!, December 13, 2011
This review is from: I Am Better Than Your Kids (Hardcover)
This book is downright appalling! How someone could just take children's artwork and grade it for adult amusement is a complete genius. This book should be read by everyone. Buy it. Now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Maddox is changing the world for the Better., November 4, 2011
This review is from: I Am Better Than Your Kids (Hardcover)
I have had to put the book down having only completed half of it, as I am utterly compelled to write this review. I have never written a review on here before, but this book is so spectacular that this is the most important writing I have ever done in my life. In a day spent watching humorous shows and movies, this book has inspired unparalleled laughter. It has gotten to the point where it almost hurts. The seemingly simple enough concept of cruelly criticizing the imaginations of children is executed in a manner that never gets repetitive or stale. The humor from this book comes from surprising angles, and is never one-dimensional. From abysmal pictures, to awful writing assignments, the failings of these kids are consistently transformed into pure entertainment. In addition to the tremendous hilarity, this book contains subtle themes and social commentaries that one could expect from a master satirist like Maddox.

Maddox is merciless, creative, and inspiring! He is a champion of reality and should be revered far more than dullards like Deepak Chopra and "Dr." Phil. The world is becoming a soft, cushy place and its people just keep getting weaker and whinier. Maddox is a herald of strength and empowerment! If you read this book, you will not only be thoroughly entertained, but you will become a better person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, November 1, 2011
This review is from: I Am Better Than Your Kids (Hardcover)
People are critical of the material Maddox publishes. There's a reason, it's funny as hell. I'm only a couple pages in and I've cried tears of extreme joy. Buy the book. Now. Go. Do it. Stop reading these fragments.

I Am Better Than Your Kids
I Am Better Than Your Kids by Maddox (Hardcover - November 1, 2011)
$26.00 $18.99