Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I Am a Bunny (A Golden Sturdy Book)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Board book|Change

on May 12, 2002
Discover the four seasons with Nicholas the bunny, as he travels from spring to winter in this enchanting board book. Nicholas says, "In the spring, I chase the butterflies, and the butterflies chase me." The reader sees an adorable little bunny dressed in red overalls, leaping into the air, trying to catch one of the two-dozen beautifully rendered butterflies. The story continues with spring, then summer, and ends in winter. Nicholas lives in a hollow tree, and when winter arrives, the reader sees him curled up snug in his bunny bed dreaming about the spring to come. This endearing book captivates babies with the outstanding images, and simple text, while teaching the four seasons to older children. Written in 1963, "I am a Bunny," is a classic and one that should be included in every child's library. One-year and up.
on December 8, 1999
My 24 year old daughter received this book on her first birthday. It was her favorite. We read it many times a day. She especially loved the progression of Nicholas from springtime to winter--bedtime in the hollow tree. We read it right before bedtime with hugs and kisses. I have given the book as a new baby gift many times. I have been so disappointed not to be able to find it in recent years, as we wore out our copy and I want one for my grandchildren.
on June 5, 2002
When my children fell in love with Nicholas, I sent copies to every friend I knew with a young baby. I was so disappointed when one friend seemed unenthusiastic. Her copy came just as they were leaving for bridge, and the baby sitter took first crack at it. "It only took 2 minutes to read - there is not much to it".
Two days later my friend called to apologize. When she read the book to her little one, the first time thru took 2 minutes, but then they snuggled together on the couch while every page was reviewed, every leaf questioned, every butterfly named, daffodils and dogwood and acorns admired. The baby need not understand the answers - the charm and the pictures encourage long loving perusal together.
I have to admit that I was forced to buy a butterfly guide just to name each pretty one the little finger touched.
This book has only a few short sentences, 1 per beautiful page, and the order your baby turns the pages matters little. If you both enjoy a nice long cuddle, this book is wonderful. I am now buying it for my grandchildren and friends with young grand babies.
33 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2000
"I am a Bunny" ranks among our favorite books. The story is relatively simple - we see things Nicholas likes to do during the year. As Nicholas progresses through the year, we have a sense of the changing seasons: initially everything is green and lush, then reddish as the leaves fall, and finally bluish-white for winter.
The illustrations are superbly done, with fine attention to detail. Each leaf, each butterfly, each frog is different and laydbugs abound.
The book itself is bound on very thick cardboard and thus will last for quite a while. It's a very worthy addition to your child's library and will be treasured for years to come.
on January 5, 2012
Amazon should let customers rate the book and the kindle edition seperately....

As every other reviewer has stated, this is a wonderful book that every toddler and parent can enjoy together. As a great picture book should, the beautiful illustrations provide as much of the story as.the text.

However, the Kindle.edition could be better. True, the illustrations are particularly striking on the beautiful KF display, but the story can only be read in landscape orientation and the top.of the pages appear to be cut off a bit. I was hoping to be able.to zoom in on the pages and pan around them while reading this with my daughter so we.could.get a better.look at.the brilliant details in the illustrations, but that's not possible.

This was my first picture book purchase on the KF, and I am little.reluctant to try more.of.them.now....

Sorry about all the dots... Wrote this.on the Kindle Fire, and the keyboard is not very well.designed. Space bar right next to.the period key... bad idea... hopefully Amazon will.fix....
on March 21, 2000
I remember the first time my grandmother read this book to me in 1969. The year my baby brother was born. As we turned the pages thru the four seasons in Nicholas Bunny's life she would encourage me to smell the field of daffodils, to pick out a favorite butterfly, to actually "blow the dandelion seeds into the air", and for me to take notice of how happy the toad appeared to be in the rain under his toadstool. My husband and I sometimes laughingly burst forth in reciting "I Am a Bunny" from memory because we have read this dear children's book to all of our six children repeatedly. And we too encourage them to "blow the dandelion seeds into the air."
on July 8, 2015
I had forgotten all about this book until a mommy blog I read put it at the top of their best books for babies list. I loved this book as a child. I can remember reading it over and over again. I loved the beautiful, colorful illustrations by Richard Scarry. I can remember counting the birds, the butterflies, the frogs, the dandelion seeds, the leaves, but not the snowflakes- too many! Growing up in the desert which doesn't really have seasons, I was fascinated by this book's depiction of all four seasons. And the little bunny is so cute! This book is magic to me. I have no idea where the copy from my childhood is so I bought a new one and my daughter Phoebe and I are reading it together. I hope she'll love it as much as I do.
review image
on April 7, 2000
When my 14 year old daughter was little, this was the book she had to have read to her when she went to bed. It was read to her so many times, that by the time she was 3 she had the whole story memorized - and many people thought she could already read! Then, it became the staple for my son. Nine years later, I'm expecting my third child, and have to find a new copy of this book for this baby as it's become a family tradition to read all about Nicholas and his adventures.
on November 18, 2015
This was my favorite as a child; I love everything Richard Scarry. I have a vintage board book, which I read to my daughter all the time. I bought three of these new edition board books as gifts but sadly the quality of the printing is terrible - these are printed in China and have a very pink/yellow hue to them. I'll bet this would not be noticeable if you don't own an older version, but side-by-side, it's disappointly obvious, and compromises the integrity of Scarry's art.). These still will make great shower books (in lieu of a card) but if you're getting it for yourself I would try to get a vintage version (mine is pre-1991, I think it might be a 1963 original.)
review image review image review image
on March 29, 2005
I actually smile when my sons pull this book out of the bin to read.

This book is wonderful. My sons ask for it to be read again and again. We borrowed it from the library, and I hated to give it back, so I bought it.

Simple, yet detailed and elegant illustrations ~ not too busy, bright or flashy. The pictures inside are similar in detail to the cover. Not a word intensive story, but the vocabulary my sons have gained from it is rich. We point out details in the illustrations. The butterflies are a myraid of colors and we talk about them. The page with the squirrel and the raccoons getting ready for fall is my favorite one. I think I can see every hair on the squirrel's tail.

Get this book. What a great addition to your library or the start of one for new parents.