4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent plane reading
Published 16 months ago by S. Jewell

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Written - Lacks Cohesion and Clarity
Published on August 21, 2011 by Christopher A Gorski

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent plane reading, August 2, 2013
I read it on a nine hour plane flight, and it was very well suited to it. A relatively short book (I finished it inside 5 hours, but I read quickly), and not one that's overly taxing on the mind. It's full of good stories and anecdotes, and makes for light-hearted reading. Still a fascinating insight into a world totally hidden from the day-to-day lives that most of us live. The tone is very conversational, and it's almost like spending the whole plane ride talking to a fascinating person, a very "civilized" criminal, if that makes sense.

Unfortunately I didn't get spot-checked going through customs - I thought it'd make for a good laugh if I got spot-checked!

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit less that what I expected, January 6, 2013
Interesting but a little "light" for my liking.

I was expecting a little bit more of "meat"

I bought it to use it as complementary material in my logistics course here in Bolivia (I don't think that it's necessary to mention Bolivia's place in the value chain for cocaine?). Some concepts/ideas where worthwhile but, with reality being what it is, it fell short.

Great as an introduction to the topic (I haven't been able to find any other source as complete as this book).

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Written - Lacks Cohesion and Clarity, August 21, 2011
As a software engineer interested in unorthodox approaches to problems, I thought this book would provide insight into how drug dealers solve the problem of distributing their goods through highly unreliable channels. Unfortunately, the little information this book provided was obfuscated by bad writing, odd and poorly expressed political and social commentary, and a general lack of organization.

Readers not caring about gaining any practical knowledge but looking for an entertaining read will be disappointed by an almost stream-of-consciousness approach that might make even the most superficial reader lose interest. It is as if the author interviewed one or more individuals and merely concatenated their interview responses without doing any editing or reorganization.

I gave this book two stars because there were tidbits of interesting information throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Book, December 27, 2012
This review is from: I Am the Market: How to Smuggle Cocaine by the Ton, in Five Easy Lessons (Hardcover)
This book cuts to the essence of human nature, ingenuity, and outside the box thinking. It also lets the world know what is really going on behind the scenes with respect to smuggling.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - doesn't deliver as promised, January 15, 2013
The title of this book is misleading - "I am the Market - How to Smuggle Cocaine, by the ton, in Five Easy Lessons." There is some useful information, but you have to read a lot of overwritten stories about the author or his source and his drug dealer friends that aren't particularly interesting. We know they like to party and have a lot of whores around (one of the author's favorite words). The useful information that I did glean is that big time dealers are ingenious in their skills at hiding lots of kilos in legitimate cargo, like, in the author's case, high quality tiles, granite and marble, and getting it past customs. And the biggest players in the game may be an obscure (to me) tribe of Indians in South America.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, entartaining, instructive, April 18, 2011
A very down-to-earth synopsis of current geopolitical map in regard to drugs. It is a short vojage of a creative thinker in one of the most challenging form of market. Highly recommended for a nice leisure reading.

I Am the Market: How to Smuggle Cocaine by the Ton, in Five Easy Lessons