Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I Am Not a Short Adult!: Getting Good at Being a Kid (A Brown Paper School Book)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on May 10, 2000
My mother gave me this book when I was a kid. I just found my old copy, read it again, and decided my 13-year-old absolutely must have a copy (though I'm not about to part with mine)! I'm thrilled to see it still in print!
Margaret Burns writes wonderfully for adolescents. It's such a tough age for kids, and they're pretty sure they're the center of the universe. Ms. Burns points out (in ways they might actually listen to) all the things that you really wish you could impress upon them, but can't since you've been relegated to the role of "dumb grown-up" for the next ten years.
She really gives them a chance to think about what kind of kid they really want to be, emphasizing that the choice is really theirs, and without telling kids what their values ought to be. (That part is stil up to parents.) It's an important lesson for kids to learn, and this book is a great tool.
on January 9, 2008
I am pushing 30 and I still remember this book fondly -- not just a vague sense of it, but actual information from it! I read it over and over when I was a kid. It's very unique in that it doesn't talk down to kids but also doesn't take on that faux-sassy tone that so much material for this age does. It prepares them for entering the adult world, which is very thrilling to a pre-teen. There's information about laws and civic responsibilities and... it probably sounds boring, but it's NOT. It's all how these things apply to kids and how adults have treated kids over the years. Fun little cartoons throughout. Highly recommended!
on August 15, 2013
It was good reading this blast from the past. I'm giving the book to an eleven-year-old with a challenge for him to find the outdated statistics an notions.
on February 1, 2015
Think I got the age range wrong - was going to give it to my nine year nephew, loved the book, but I'll have to have wait 4 or 5 years to give it to him.
on April 27, 2013
I don't even remember anything about it! I just remember I loved it. I'm getting another one for my daughters.
on August 4, 2015
This book is a bit dated but the advice for a pre-teen is still appropriate.