Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation STEM

on December 27, 2011
Despite all of the reviews that say don't bother buying this e-book because it is summarized in "The Power of Six", I bought it anyways. And I'm glad I did. Yes, "The Power of Six" does summarize this e-book up in a few pages, but there is a lot more background and detail, such as Six's relationship with her Cêpan, her training, and how she discovered her legacies. Furthermore, this e-book is from Six's point of view, which is non-existent in the other 2 books. The only downside to this e-book is that it is short and leaves you wanting more.

Like other reviewers have said, I would recommend reading this first before reading "The Power of Six".

If you are like me, and want to know every single detail about a book or series that you love, then I recommend that you buy this book. However, if you don't really care about details, or if you are one of those readers who skims over parts of books, then don't buy it.
VINE VOICEon July 28, 2011
An interesting, exciting glance at the life of a side character from "I am Number Four," the character of Six. The story (as well as the strong character, a worthy heroine) really holds your attention during the cruel capture and torture of Six and her Cepan despite most of it taking place in a cell. Altogether Six has led a similar life to Four, forced to move around and change identities in order to stay alive. However, there are new details that we get from her perspective about being part of the Garde. This time we also get to see things not only from a female perspective but also from a feistier one because Six has always been ready for a fight. This is a great teaser which also gives us a look at the first few chapters to the follow-up to "I am Number Four," "The Power of Six" which promises to focus on the character of Seven who has led a very different life than the other Numbers.
on September 3, 2011
In my opinion this was a waste of money. What is the point of releasing this e-book if you are going to put the whole thing in the the sequel ("The Power of Six") aside from minor details. I'm a big fan of the series so far, but this is Just redundant.Read the sequel; your curiosity will be more than satisfied concerning Six, in fact everything you need to know about her is in the book along with the continuation of the story. =/
This is a short little prequel that gives you some background information on Number Six, and whets your appetite for the soon-to-be-released sequel to I Am Number Four. The author has an engaging writing style, and if you liked I am Number Four you are going to eat this one up yet wanting a lot more. Which is why they released it a couple of weeks before the sequel. I'm ready, my wife is ready, and both of my kids are ready for the sequel and we all enjoyed this little prequel.

I am disappointed in the pricing at $3.99 - while the story is good, it only took about 20 minutes to read. However, the accountant in me knows why they did it but it was a little disappointing being so short. However, I guess four family members reading the same thing - at the same time - more than makes up for it.

Regardless, if you enjoyed the first book and are eagerly awaiting the sequel like we are, this will certainly set the stage.
on July 28, 2011
With the abomination that was the movie adaptation of "I Am Number Four," it seems likely that many potential readers might be chased away before they can ever open a book by the elusive Pittacus Lore, and everyone on the fence might turn their back on the series for fear of being laughed out of town. "The Lost Files: Six's Legacy," has completely reassured my that this series really does have potential.

The book was really great for what it was, which was a short and quick background story about a character who could only be described as one-dimensional when she was first introduced. The Six I knew from IAN4 was all POW! and BANG! without any back story. She just showed up out of nowhere to save the day, and the pieces didn't entirely fit together. This story explains how she went from a young teenager, who like John, longed for a normal human life that she could never achieve, into a girl who could kick some serious butt. Unlike the drawling, never-ending love-fest that is John's narration in Number 4, this story is short and to the point (which is also important, because it would have flopped if they had tried to spin this into a full length novel).

The Kindle download also comes with a sneak peak at The Power of Six, so that alone should make it worth a true fan's time. In the end, if you liked I Am Number Four and are holding your breath until August 23rd for Power of Six, you should definitely fill a few of those hours with The Lost Files.
on April 6, 2016
The Lost Files are short stories that fill in details between the major Lorien Legacy books. Whilst it's not necessary to read them as such, they are well worth the read as they are full of great information for the main story, as well as really enjoyable in their own right. Each of the shorts tells another piece of the puzzle in relation to one of the Garde, or another minor character, giving you back ground information.
This particular short is about Six, and her past. Six was introduced in ‘I am Number Four’, coming to the aid of Four as he fought the Mogs at the end of the story, but we know little about her history, other than she has been alone for a while, and that her Cepan is dead.
This story fills in those details, covering the time frame from the landing, up until she heads off to find Number Four.
Again, this is a great fun read, nothing overly stressing, just an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon and get into an entertaining story.
For me, I actually found the writing in this one to be a bit better quality than ‘I am Number Four’, so I am not sure if each of the books is being written by the same person under the alias ‘Pittacus Lore’ or by using that as the pen name, it has allowed them to get multiple authors to do the shorts as well as the main stories (Haven’t really bothered checking into it if anyone has, or does know?) Either way, the story line in this one was very good, and I found it interesting following how Six was… Sorry No Spoilers!!
Needless to say, Six’s journey was a lot different to Four’s and she had a difficult time.
It's worth the read to understand how she is different – that’s what is good about these short stories.
If you are a fan of the series, this is a must read.
As I have said with the other books , this is no Shakespeare, so don’t expect it, but do expect good fun, a bit of escapism and the great bit of Hero’s fighting off an evil alien race – just as this type of book should be.
If you want the Lost Files Series though - get them in the 1-3 Volume set, not individually, better value for money.
on February 25, 2016
In the not so distant past I worked at a few book stores. A problem I ran into frequently was finding books for teen boys. The YA market is flooded with books meant solely for girls. Boys have always been a harder sell when it comes to reading and publishers haven't made it an easier job, especially when they have flooded the teen market with paranormal romance.

So recommendations for teen boys often meant I would recommend The Hunger Games. Unfortunately many guys aren't too keen on reading a book in which the main character is a girl, no matter how good the story is. So after going through the other 5 or 6 good teen guy books I could think of I would often recommend a book in the general fiction and literature section, but parents often fear that their children will encounter questionable subject matter. Which they may, but they should also remember many of the books their children read in school are found in the fiction and literature not the teen section.

I found "I am Number Four" to be a great action adventure, that followed the traditional hero archetype. The main character, number Four or John Smith, is as relatable as a alien teenager on the run can be. The surrounding cast of characters rounds out this alien boys average existence, Henri, his alien guardian/father figure, Sam, his nerdy best friend, Sarah, his crush, and Mark, a bully and Sarah's ex. The story is a super power driven action packed adventure, filled with all the tender feelings and angst that a every teenager has.

It was a quick read. I got through it in about a day and a half. I would recommend this book for anyone over the age of 13.Read more ›
on August 26, 2011
This "book" is a scam and should be a reason for Amazon to reconsider their way of presenting factual data:

The book is listed with a file size of 721 KB, which is a lot: The first book, 'I Am Number Four', musters only 467 KB. Unfortunately, this measurement is non-conclusive because a few graphics blow up files dramatically. As is the case here.

After you've spent about seven dollars, you have the book and can see its size. And suddenly, when setting the first one to 100%, these "Lost Files" represent only 26%. Priced per page the same way, the first book would have been at $26,30.

So you read, and the writing is as good as expected. Until suddenly, after two thirds of the way, the book is over: The last third is filled with excerpts from the first and the "real" second book.

So again with setting the first book to 100%, this one - minus the "bonus tracks" - represents 16.4% of the size. Assigning the price to the real content, the first book would have been at $41.65.

What do you get for your money? A money-jerker in which the heroine's special ability 'telekinesis' appears in a half-sentence. How cheap can you get?

I guess this stuff was planned as a longer prologue or a Part I of the second novel. As such, it would have been okay, maybe even good. Then someone realized that there's a much better way of selling ...

If you don't care about the price, and if you don't care about tension that results from characters behaving incredibly stupid, considering their situation, buy it. Pittacus Lore can write, no doubt about that.
on March 4, 2016
Love all these books! For a while when I first discovered the I Am Number Four series, and especially the Lost Files set, i read them so quickly i cannot give a very specific review of each one... but I do know I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about important characters in the series .. this one and all the others were hard to put down each night when I'd read.. even when i was soooo tired I should just stop and sleep. :D

I am reluctant to read the last books in this series, because I don't want it to be over! Lately I have a hard time finding a book/series I can really get into.
This novella is an excellent follow-up to I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies). That book had a lot of romantic elements with John and the human girl, Sarah, that slowed the plot somewhat. In contrast, this story is much more suspenseful. Readers met Six at the end of the first book, but got little information about her. This novella tells where she was, how she was captured and the death of her Cepan (not a spoiler since we're told she was dead in IANF). What I liked best was how the story drove home the point of how dangerous these kids' lives are. The first book was more matter-of-fact, "Numbers 1, 2 and 3 were killed." I never really felt that John was in danger until the climactic conclusion. But the harrowing details of Six's capture truly bring out the horror that they are being hunted by enemies who will joyfully murder them. With this story, the Mogadorians suddenly become more than just boogeymen - they are evil killers who will destroy our world.

The novella was a fast read, but I felt it was worth the $3.99 I paid for it (though, considering the excerpts from the other books it is padded with, the price should be $1.99). Overall, I could not put this story down! It left me excited to read the next novel, which despite the implications of the name will be told by Seven, not Six. Highly recommended.