Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I Am Regina
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 14, 2006
In I am Regina, Sally M. Keehn tells the story of a ten-year-old girl who is taken captive by Native Americans after they brutally kill her brother and father. In their village, Regina is given a new name, Tskinnak, and slowly adapts her new way of life. This young adult novel is well-crafted in terms of structure; it has a sound arc of conflict sustained by a strong narrator and cast of fascinating supporting characters that all possess individual goals and desires. Keehn masterfully juxtaposes Native American culture and the ways of the "white man" through the eyes of Regina/Tskinnak, her innocent narrator. As time progresses in the book, so does Regina/Tskinnak's understanding and acceptance of Native American culture. Though this transformation occurs slowly, the soul of her very being is forever altered. She is able to see the war amongst white men and Native Americans from both sides, and finds herself questioning where she truly belongs, a question that resonates in the minds of children and young adults of today. The only inconsistency in the book occurs during shifts in time. Keehn shifts in "moons" and at times it is confusing to judge how much or how little time has passed since the last scene. Keehn began the story using short choppy sentences, but as the book progresses, it outgrows this simplistic structure and evolves into a well-written text. I am Regina is a powerful and moving story that will captivate readers right down to the final sentence.
on July 11, 2003
It was great reading this book. I read it for the first time in 1995 when I was 13 years old. My 7th great grandmother was Barbara Leininger, Regina's older sister, who escaped from the Indians. It was interesting finding a book on the market that pertained to something that I knew had happened in my family. Although I am not descended from Regina, I still feel for her and what she could have gone through as a child. I don't think everything happened to her that is mentioned in the book, but I do know that it must have been a miracle to see her mother from just singing a song in German, when she had been speaking the Indian language for 9 years. For those who love reading about history, this book is a must!
on August 25, 2000
This book was recently adopted by my school district, and Iread it in preparation for its use in my 7th grade classroom. Although as an adult I found the story moving, I am left with a number of questions as to its appropriateness for some young readers. Parents and teachers be warned--this book contains detailed descriptions of scalpings, burnings, alcoholism, and attempted rape. The review provided by Amazon is correct--it is faith that gets the main character through ... . This book was adopted in my district to be used with lower level readers--the same population that may have trouble thinking critically about the books difficult and sometimes disturbing themes.
33 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2015
At first I didn't like the story because I read Alone Yet Not Alone first. Both books are based on the same true story, but had several discrepancies. After Regina and her sister were separated, the stories are completely different. I appreciate the research done my Ms Keehn, and the dignified treatment of the Indians. I also love the way Regina trusted the Lord.
on April 13, 2006
Rould you believe that two indians would crash your cabin door open, holding rifles at that, intending to kill you and your family. Well this is exactly what happened to a girl named Regina in a historical fiction novel called I am Regina.

The main charactors are Regina, Sarah, Tiger Claw, and Woelfin. This book took place back in 1755, when the French and Indian War was starting in Pennsylvania.

In the colonial times of Pennsylvania, on a small farm in the cornffield, the Leininger family were held victom by two indians. While the mother and the youngest brother were at the mill on the hill, the father and brother were murdered and scalped and the two daughters held captive to go to their tribe. while going there the two indians that met up with other indians split up at a fork, seperating the two sisters. the younger sister, Regina, and her companion, Sarah, were now held captive by the indian known as Tiger Claw to his tribe. when she reached the tribe, Regina and Sarah were adopted by none other than Tiger Claws mother, Woelfin. Will she ever see her mother and brother again, will she be able to even survive. you must read the book to find out.

this book was one othe the best books my group ever read so far, there's so much action, lost lives, war, and other great things. My personal favorite part was when Regina's sister tries to run away from the indians, on a stallion at that, I thought that showed great courage unlike her sister at the begining of the book but she does get braver. this book is great for people who like action and sorrow because in the book, the French and Indian War was going on so there was a lot of fighting and bloodshed. the author, I think, was trying to tell us to not judge people for their appearence but get to know them because in the ook when Woelfin gets to know Regina, she starts showing her good side. hope you all like this reiew and bye.
on February 4, 1998
Book Title - I Am Regina Author - Sally M. Keehn Reviewed By - Jonathan Praino and Eddie Szabo Book Rating - 10 Book Category -Historical Fiction We read this book and we want to review it. We liked the book and we liked reading about the Indians. It made us see the Indians as a peaceful people. Regina, a white girl, goes to live with the Indians. We saw life through her eyes and from the point of view of the Indians. This story was based on true facts. It shows both how the white man and the Indians lived. The Indians and the white man traded with each other. The Indians got guns, ammo and liquor while the white man got furs and land .We learned that the white man showed the Indians their bad ways. Like when Tiger Claw traded furs for liquor and got drunk.The white man also brought diseases that sometimes killed the Indians like smallpox. We liked the book and the writing style of the author. It was easy to read and follow. We also liked how Regina sounded like she was actually talking. We recommend this book to all fourth and fifth graders!
on August 21, 2014
A very interesting read. Particularly about survival in stark conditions. The author was genuine to portray the humanity in all of the main characters. Just shows that people are basically the same and that war is always destructive.
on June 12, 2014
THE FIRST BOOK IS A GREAT STORY ABOUT THE OLDER SISTER CAPTURED BY INDIANS...THIS ONE COVERS THE STORY OF THE YOUNGER. BASED ON A TRUE STORY FROM THE FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR. GOD GETS THESE GIRLS THROUGH TRIALS TO A NEW LIFE.
on November 7, 2013
"I am Regina" by Sally M Keehn is a book about a young girl named Regina, who is kidnapped and taken by a Native American tribe to become one of them. Regina is very hostile towards the Native Americans because they killed her father and brother, and separated her from her sister. While with the tribe, she made friends with two other women named Noschetto and Woelfin, to stay and keep away from being beaten by the tribe leader, Tiger Claw. The climax of this book is when her friend Noschetto is killed while trading with white men and Regina starts to crave revenge. I'm going to start off by saying I did not like this book. I found the book way too slow. A huge majority of the book is Regina and Noschetto farming and doing chores for the tribe. It was interesting though when Regina had issues with Tiger Claw, or during the climax of the book, but the majority of the book is very boring. If you like slow books that are a very easy read, then you will love this book. There things I liked about this book too though.A very large portion of this book focuses on character development and action in the climax. I could tell that Noschetto is a good motherly figure, I could tell Tiger Claw was a jerk and Regina was depressed. I also liked the description of the environments the Native Americans were in. It gave vivid images of the nice, hot, green forest they were in during the summer, and the nasty cold season they were in during the winter, and the decent season in between and just the 1700's mid-western feel. It also has a little bit of culture in it, showing you a little bit of the Native Americans life. So overall, what do I think of "I am Regina"? I think it's not very good. It really is just too slow for me. There are tons of people that will like this book, people who like slow descriptive books, people who like Native American books and just history in general. I don't recommend it to people who enjoy a lot of action, or to people who are just bored of this genre. Overall, i give "I am Regina" 4/10
on July 6, 2014
This story was much better than the story of Regina's sister Barbara who escaped her captivity after 3 years. I only wish the movie had included Regina' s story....much more interesting, as she truly was caught between two worlds, and had a better understanding and love for both the White Man and the Indian. I would highly recommend this book. It is truly a more in-depth narrative of the song "Alone Yet Not Alone".